Deviating a JoySway

More
12 Apr 2015 09:56 - 12 Apr 2015 09:59 #31083 by mwm
Deviating a JoySway Tx. was created by mwm
Ok, I've maidened my JoySway, so it's time to see about deviating the Tx.

Attached are pictures of the Tx module & the motherboard. The mcu on the motherboard has had all markings scrubbed from it. However, the Tx is clearly using an A7105 and some other chips I can't identify. The A7105 does not bind with either FlySky or Hubsan protocols. The A7105 module has no markings on it as to what the pins are, but it's the standard

So, does that as-yet-unidentified chips mean we can't deviation this one?

Is there enough information to figure out which pins on the A7105 module do what?

This A7105 module is interesting. Socketed, not soldered, and - assuming that the antennas on park flyer modules are 1/4 wave, a full wavelength antenna.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Apr 2015 09:59 by mwm. Reason: add files. Bah.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2015 10:08 - 12 Apr 2015 10:13 #31084 by SadSack
Replied by SadSack on topic Deviating a JoySway Tx.
Just gut it and replacing everything :-)

less than $20 you could DIY core devo 7/10 and devo8 at a big push (PB all ready started that)
Last edit: 12 Apr 2015 10:13 by SadSack.

More
12 Apr 2015 10:11 #31085 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Deviating a JoySway Tx.
The goal is to talk to the joysway Rx. Gutting this doesn't help with that.

More
12 Apr 2015 10:17 #31086 by SadSack
and core devo would still do that.

More
12 Apr 2015 10:26 - 12 Apr 2015 10:31 #31087 by SadSack
If you wanted to build a Quality Arm based core TX using Deviation I know others would be very interested.

Not hard to get running. Main reason for not posting complete solution I didn't think it was good enough.
Last edit: 12 Apr 2015 10:31 by SadSack.

More
12 Apr 2015 10:29 #31088 by mwm
Actually, core Devo won't talk to a joysway Rx. This tx will. The goal is to make a Devo Tx talk to the same Rx this thing talks to. No need to build a new tx at all.

More
12 Apr 2015 14:36 - 12 Apr 2015 14:38 #31105 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Deviating a JoySway Tx.
I changed the title of the post as I was really confused too. You just want to reverse the Joysway protocol so you can connect your Devo to the Joysway Rx. As is common, they are using an off-the-shelp a7105 module, which means that this will be easy to start working on. I'm not sure if you've done protocol work before or not, but you'll need an SPI sniffer to get started. I really recommend a Saleae sniffer (or similar if the price is too high. I won't recommend one of the Chinese knockoffs, since I really like my Saleae and try to get them business, but get whatever you can). The ability to do stream captures at 24MHz is really helpful for protocol work vs many other SPI which have a small capture buffer..

Anyhow, from the picture you provided, the pins should be:
GND    ???
SDIO   ???
SCK    ???
SCS    ???
???     ???
The GPIO1 and GPIO2 pins are connected to vias to the underside of the board and may go to the header too. I'd just solder up all the pins to a logic analyzer since they tend to have 8 ports.

With the A7105, they could use 3-wire or 4-wire SPI (I've never seen 4-wire used as yet). If they use 4-wire, orne of the GPIO pins will be MISO. the A7105 also supports 4-bit commands, which break most SPI analyzers, so I'd need the raw capture data to extract those if they are used.

I have nice utilities to convert Saleae traces from each of the protocols into an easily readable format, which I use to make sense of the logs.

We need to capture the following (each as a separate trace ideally, but it can be in one if you keep track of the order)
1) power on and binding
2) throttle (0 - 100 - 0)
3) elevator (50 - 0 - 50 - 100 - 0)
4) aileron (50 - 0 - 50 - 100 - 0)
5) rudder (50 - 0 - 50 - 100 -0)
6) any buttons/switches on the Tx, one at a time

It is often useful to capture the binding several times (with minutes between each occurrence) to see if channel selection is constant.

You may know all this already, but I'm giving you the whole thing in case you haven't done it before.

You will also need an A7105 module in your Devo Tx, be it the MultiModule or one of the add-on boards.
Last edit: 12 Apr 2015 14:38 by PhracturedBlue.

More
12 Apr 2015 22:12 #31120 by mwm
Thanks for changing the title. I thought about it, but it was late.

I've attached a picture of the underside of the A7105, since it's in a socket. Doesn't look like anything is attached there

Any recommendations on Salea settings?

Attachments:

More
12 Apr 2015 22:20 #31123 by PhracturedBlue
It may be a 4-layer board. otherwise those vias make no sense. I really don't know. With a multimeter you can try to check it.
you can usually run saleae at 8MHz for capture and it'll work fine., if it looks like the clock edges are being missed, go to 16MHz.

More
23 Apr 2015 12:22 #31515 by mwm
I believe I need some help with this. I've tried a couple times, and can't really get the mini clips (recommended late last year) to stay on the short nubs on the A7105 module.. I've tried doing some captures of half the pins, which were hard enough to get on, but haven't gotten any data that makes sense. Possibly because the connections weren't very good, or possibly because the leads are funky.

Is this just me, or maybe I picked the wrong leads for this? The only way I can see to get reliable connections to more than thee or four pins is to add wirewrap leads to the underside of the module, then plug it back in and clip to those leads. Is there some better way to do this?

More
23 Apr 2015 12:47 #31518 by SadSack
if you have male/female IDC cable (8 Pin) then split the cables and clip there or just solder cables to pins.

More
23 Apr 2015 12:55 #31520 by mwm
No IDC cables. I don't really want to solder on this, as I'd rather not risk destroying it.

Hmm. I might be able to kludge in some breadboard cables.

More
23 Apr 2015 13:03 #31521 by PhracturedBlue
What I do is to use a wire-wrap tool to put a half-length wrap on the bottom of the board, and then plug in the module.it will still seat ell enough, and I have non-destructive wires for each pin on the header.
Or I just use wire-wrap wire and solder to the top. you aren't likely to damage the board just heating up each joint and dropping a 30AWG wire onto it. It is also pretty easy to remove when done.

I don't know which clips you have, but the official Saleae clips are very good, and I can usually put them on the bottom of the board and still plug it in

More
23 Apr 2015 13:06 #31522 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic Deviating a JoySway Tx.
Your clips may work better is you attach them to the chip that supplies these signals. On the photo of the TX board, there is a 24-pin package that provides these signals. My clips seem to work better on this type of lead.

If I get my counts right, with the 1-pin on the lower right, the right top pin (pin12) is SCS, pin 11 is SCK, and pin 10 is SDIO.

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!

More
23 Apr 2015 19:16 #31541 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic Deviating a JoySway Tx.
If your wirewrap fails, tell me, I'll solder a cable for you. I have lots of various connectors and 2.54 is quite easy to solder to.
I understand your hesitation - JoySway is not the cheapest line. What model do you have, by the way?

More
23 Apr 2015 19:23 #31542 by mwm
An Orion. I've actually replaced the Tx with an OrangeRx one to try with DSM, but the one it came with fits the electronics platform better.

More
23 Apr 2015 19:26 #31543 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic Deviating a JoySway Tx.
So it's gonna be first boat deviated! Good luck!

More
23 Apr 2015 19:29 #31544 by mwm
Sailboats use aircraft-style Tx's with two sticks, each with two degrees of freedom, and three of them spring-loaded to center. The interesting part is that you want a single stick to control multiple sheets, but be able to trim them separately. Not possible with stock Tx, and hard to do with most aircraft Tx's.

More
23 Apr 2015 19:33 #31545 by PhracturedBlue
But really easy with Deviation :)

More
24 Apr 2015 00:42 #31554 by mwm
Yup. I put a tutorial up covering the three different setups for that, and will be adding it to the model config tutorial as well.

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds