High gain antenna

More
04 Jul 2013 08:06 #11859 by magic_marty
High gain antenna was created by magic_marty
Could anybody please tell me what type of connector is on the Devo8 antenna? And possibly where i could get a higher output/gain antenna to boost the signal?

Later on i am going to get into FPV and want to increase my signal strength as much as possible..Thought about trying one of these but have no idea if it would work www.radioddity.com/us/sh24bta-n-2500mw-2...m-wifi-repeater.html read on another forum of people using them with great success but not sure if it would work with the Devo8 without causing some problems or damaging the TX..So i thought if i can find a higher gain antenna it would work hopefully...

thanks all.. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jul 2013 09:07 #11860 by syphear
Replied by syphear on topic High gain antenna
The aerial connector is a SMA Male, transmitter is SMA female

More
04 Jul 2013 15:56 #11884 by Hexperience
Replied by Hexperience on topic High gain antenna
Interesting device, needs power though so you need to use a battery or build a ground station.

Have you looked at these?

www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__2010...Radios_Modules_.html

I'd be interested to see what kind of range we get with this antenna, 150mw setting and an RX802...

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

More
04 Jul 2013 16:13 - 04 Jul 2013 16:14 #11887 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic High gain antenna
5 dB difference with original Devo 8 antenna = 1.778 power increase = 1.33 range increase, with very narrow directional diagram.
Last edit: 04 Jul 2013 16:14 by vlad_vy.

More
04 Jul 2013 18:12 - 04 Jul 2013 18:13 #11896 by Hexperience
For those that don't know, Vlad is one of the cast members of Big Bang Theory... ;)

By the way, the devo8 comes with a 2db and the devo12 is a 5db right?

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
Last edit: 04 Jul 2013 18:13 by Hexperience.

More
04 Jul 2013 21:14 - 04 Jul 2013 21:18 #11910 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic High gain antenna

vlad_vy wrote: 5 dB difference with original Devo 8 antenna = 1.778 power increase = 1.33 range increase, with very narrow directional diagram.

The implication of the very narrow directional pattern Vlad mention is important. What you gain in the optimal direction, you lose in other directions.

So unless you take care to ensure your TX antenna is kept perpendicular to the line of sight to your model, you may find that you are suddenly out of range if you move the TX.

Moral of the story? Don't use a higher gain antenna if you don't need it!

Last edit: 04 Jul 2013 21:18 by RandMental.

More
04 Jul 2013 21:54 #11914 by magic_marty
Replied by magic_marty on topic High gain antenna

Hexperience wrote: Interesting device, needs power though so you need to use a battery or build a ground station.

Have you looked at these?

www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__2010...Radios_Modules_.html

I'd be interested to see what kind of range we get with this antenna, 150mw setting and an RX802...

Yes it requires separate power source so i was thinking if i go that route i could just power it off the balance plug on tx lipo..its still a long way off before i get into any FPV but i like to look ahead and plan things out long before i attempt them.Plus the cost of all the equipment adds up so i have to go little by little but will eventually get there.Hopefully :S

More
05 Jul 2013 04:22 - 05 Jul 2013 04:57 #11927 by vlad_vy

Hexperience wrote: By the way, the devo8 comes with a 2db and the devo12 is a 5db right?

They almost equal in gain.

Devo 8s FCC test (antenna gain <3dBi)

Devo 12 FCC test (antenna gain =3 dBi)

By the way, no one Tx don't use antenna with gain over 3dBi. Typically antenna gain is about 2 dBi.
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Jul 2013 04:57 by vlad_vy.

More
05 Jul 2013 12:48 - 05 Jul 2013 12:55 #11943 by RandMental
Hi Vlad

I am suspect of the nice clean "3dBi" statement of the 12s in these tests over the 2.4GHz band, compare this to the different gains of the Devo8s antenna over the 2.4GHz band.

As you clearly understand RF and antennas, you will agree the higher the gain figure of an antenna of the same size / configuration, the narrower the gain pattern AND the gain bandwidth.

So my guess is these 3dBi figures on the 12s test sheet are the theoretical figures, and they forgot to update it after the tests as they did for the Devo8.

Edit: if these antenna figures are indeed true, I would agree that one should replace the Devo8 antenna with a Devo12 antenna, as the Devo8 emitted power drops to 54% at the top for the band (2.479GHz).

Last edit: 05 Jul 2013 12:55 by RandMental.

More
05 Jul 2013 12:59 #11944 by vlad_vy
Possible both antennas, Devo 8s and Devo 12s are the same, I don't see any visual difference between them.

More
06 Jul 2013 02:11 #11995 by cmpang
Replied by cmpang on topic High gain antenna

vlad_vy wrote: Possible both antennas, Devo 8s and Devo 12s are the same, I don't see any visual difference between them.

things ain't that bad as you might think.

when the model is near by, the power it gets is quite strong and so a bit out of the main radiation lobe doesn't matter..

while it flies out at distance, the angle of deviation it departed from the main lobe gets smaller and smaller...

More
06 Jul 2013 10:30 #12009 by RandMental

cmpang wrote:

vlad_vy wrote: Possible both antennas, Devo 8s and Devo 12s are the same, I don't see any visual difference between them.

things ain't that bad as you might think.

when the model is near by, the power it gets is quite strong and so a bit out of the main radiation lobe doesn't matter..

while it flies out at distance, the angle of deviation it departed from the main lobe gets smaller and smaller...

Hi cmpang, your are of course 100% correct, provided you don't point and shoot (fly), which is of course the worst scenario, especially the with the Dev07E's fixed antenna. Anyhow my concern was more the reduction in emitted power on the Devo8 at the higher end of the band.

More
06 Jul 2013 17:02 #12016 by Hexperience

This is what came with my devo 8 and 12 so I assume they are the same internally

Attachments:

More
06 Jul 2013 18:14 - 06 Jul 2013 18:31 #12019 by RandMental
Hex,

Interestingly your 12S antenna looks like the ones I received with both my 8s Devos. I added two external antennas (like the smaller one on you photo) for the XL7105 and CC2500 modules. By switching the longer and shorter antennas around I do notice a lower output from the smaller antenna, my guess is not even 2dBm.

Here a few other antenna samples, the first is the short antenna taken apart, as expected it is a normal dipole configuration:

The Devo7e standard antenna:

Home build version for a 7105 module placed inside the Devo7e using RG74 coax cable:

Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Jul 2013 18:31 by RandMental.

More
07 Jul 2013 21:53 #12052 by magic_marty
Replied by magic_marty on topic High gain antenna
Will a clover leaf antenna work on 2.4 ? I know there used on 5.8 but not sure if they would work on 2.4...might be a great alternative to the stock antenna..

More
23 Apr 2015 20:44 #31547 by R/C Madman68
Replied by R/C Madman68 on topic High gain antenna
I know this is a old thread but wanted to know if this would make for a good stock replacement antenna?

It's a 3dbi. I bought my 8s used and the antenna that was on it was not only the wrong one it had female to female so no contact. I used a gold pin from a wifi antenna repair kit and inserted it to get proper connection but in the back of my mind I think it is not 100% GTG!

Antenna

More
23 Apr 2015 21:06 #31548 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic High gain antenna
Yes, that should be OK. When you use the antenna, especially high gain, you should be aware that the antenna is not an amplifier, it just emits radio in a certain shape. And the more gain the more this shape is doughnut-like. So the main emission is perpendicular to the antenna and it should be not pointed towards the model but be perpendicular to the line connecting TX and RX.

More
23 Apr 2015 21:15 #31549 by R/C Madman68
Replied by R/C Madman68 on topic High gain antenna
Victzh, thanks! I was not really looking to increase the gain I just wanted a good replacement that I can order State Side and won't take 30+ days to arrive if I ordered a Devo stock antenna from China.

More
24 Apr 2015 04:43 #31557 by Block137
Replied by Block137 on topic High gain antenna

R/C Madman68 wrote: I know this is a old thread but wanted to know if this would make for a good stock replacement antenna?

It's a 3dbi. I bought my 8s used and the antenna that was on it was not only the wrong one it had female to female so no contact.......

Antenna

Could that damaged the module already?

More
24 Apr 2015 15:34 #31574 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic High gain antenna
It could, but people make such mistakes pretty frequently and some report module survived. Chances are it's OK.

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds