High gain antenna

More
22 Sep 2015 00:31 #37942 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic High gain antenna
Bit of a necro, but keeping things in the one spot...
What's a good, "cheap" (say sub $10), directable, preferably removable replacement antenna for the 8s module? I have a 6s, so currently have the mini stub that isn't directable, which may be a source of my semi-frequent loss of signal; I think I tend to be doing the old "point at the plane", but it's not comfortable to do it any other way. In addition to this, I recently noticed that the antenna wire has been squished as it makes it's way between the body and the antenna cover, so not sure if there might be some minor internal damage (ie. broken strands)

I really do like the smaller form factor of the 6s, and the mini stub allows me to put both the TX and my heli (or two) in a small toolbox, so a replacement antenna would ideally be unscrewable. So I'd need both the antenna itself a connector/adapter to the mini connector on the module; any thoughts on the names of these connectors?

If I'm typically pointing at the vehicle, and I get the orientation right, would the afore-mentioned hobbyking "dish" be a good option, or is it just too narrow a field (couldn't find any diagram)?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2015 00:51 - 22 Sep 2015 01:07 #37943 by grnd flyr
Replied by grnd flyr on topic High gain antenna
Can you put a swivel mount on the Tx? From what I've read, you don't want to point the tip of the antenna at your model. The beam radiates radial from the pointed axis resembling a donut shape with 2.4GHz setup.

Anyway, can you replace the stock mount or cobble on a swivel mount onto your existing mount?

Kept in my bookmarks, got some great info re:antennas from here:

2.4 gHz magic number 31.25 mm
www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2371720

hth

[EDIT to add...]

radiation pattern looks like:

From here:

2.4GHz Antenna System Fundamentals
www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1494024

you can do a "2.4 ghz linear polarized antenna radiation pattern" image search at google too...
Last edit: 22 Sep 2015 01:07 by grnd flyr. Reason: adding more info...

More
22 Sep 2015 01:59 - 22 Sep 2015 02:04 #37945 by RoGuE_StreaK
Yeah that's what I'm asking, as the 6s doesn't have a swivelable antenna, and to interface with a "standard" antenna I'll need an adapter.

Looking at Daryoon's 7E mods page , seems like maybe the module connector is U.FL/IPX, and the normal connector on swivel antennas is SMA? So possibly these combos;
- U.FL/IPX to RP-SMA adapter ?
- SMA antenna - 2dbi or 3dbi ?

Anyone know what the gain is on the standard 6S antenna, out of interest?
Last edit: 22 Sep 2015 02:04 by RoGuE_StreaK.

More
22 Sep 2015 02:14 #37946 by grnd flyr

RoGuE_StreaK wrote: ...snip... I recently noticed that the antenna wire has been squished as it makes it's way between the body and the antenna cover, so not sure if there might be some minor internal damage (ie. broken strands)

Missed that part earlier... what kind of mount is yours? The wire and connector can be replaced if needs be. If it's one of those tiny U.FL connectors, I've read that they are only good for 3-5 connect/disconnect cycles (easy to use but not the best for longevity if you have to unplug it several times).

Anyway, check this:

DEVO 7E SWIVEL ANTENNA MOD
www.hacksmods.com/2014/10/devo-7e-swivel-antenna-mod/

If you're short on tools/time/ablilites to make or modify your original mount, there's still hope:

1) Download the file to print here:
walkera devo 7e antenna mod -add main and second antenna base
www.thingiverse.com/thing:641114

2) If you don't have a 3D printer or know someone who does, here's one place that you can go to online: www.3dhubs.com
You upload to them, the file that you downloaded in step 1. Choose material, color... you agree to terms, you pay, they print the 3D file/part for you and mail it off to you. I just had something 3D printed for me this weekend, first time, entirely painless, part ought to be here by end of the week. There are other places on the net that can do it, but with 3DHubs, I selected the operator/printer (human) who was closest to me with good recs. Turns out there were over 20 available to me within a 20 mile radius of where I live. Had no clue... :)

3) Install the parts listed in the hacksmods article into your new mount.

More
22 Sep 2015 03:05 #37947 by grnd flyr
Ha! Proof that I'm a slow typer... think we both replied at the same time, or at least I was typing long after you replied...

I don't have a 6S but suspect that it has the same 2dBi antenna.

What module does this wonky one connect to? What model(s) do you fly with it?

More
22 Sep 2015 03:51 - 22 Sep 2015 03:52 #37949 by RoGuE_StreaK
Module is the standard "8s" module that's apparently common across the 6s, 8s, 10, and 12.
Models are whatever the hell I throw at it; Super CP, Mini CP, Accipter Badius, FT Duster, LM BatWing, Durafly Vampire, Tamiya Frog, Tandy Australia II, ... ;)

PS. Thanks for that 3dhubs link, didn't know a hub like that existed
Last edit: 22 Sep 2015 03:52 by RoGuE_StreaK.

More
22 Sep 2015 10:53 - 22 Sep 2015 10:57 #37957 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic High gain antenna
What Do you think of my installation?

-Minimize coax connections = loss mismatch at 2.4Ghz
-Horizontal Antenna, as tx normally points towards model
-J-Pole antenna, good wideband behaviour and match to 50Ohm
-Inside Tx but, the radiated side of each antenaa kept away from any metal or other antenna.
(do not put two antenna close or in the same tube etc)

I did some measurements on radiated power using a 50uV meter and rf diode, I find that the output power is very much different for different protocols.
Also the adjustment step in output power does not seem always changing output power same.
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Sep 2015 10:57 by Fernandez.

More
22 Sep 2015 11:56 #37959 by grnd flyr
What kind of range are you getting out of them? Have you range tested them?

More
22 Sep 2015 12:01 #37960 by grnd flyr

RoGuE_StreaK wrote: Models are whatever the hell I throw at it; Super CP, Mini CP, Accipter Badius, FT Duster, LM BatWing, Durafly Vampire, Tamiya Frog, Tandy Australia II, ... ;)

PS. Thanks for that 3dhubs link, didn't know a hub like that existed

Had to image search those guys... you've got quite the armada! B)

3dhubs... funny, the guy emailed me late last night apologizing for not getting it in the mail in time on Saturday. Offered to drive it over today, told him no worries, pop it in the mail & I'll have it by weekend. Great first experience!

More
22 Sep 2015 12:42 #37961 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic High gain antenna
Have no problems with range. NRF modules often use a folded type of Pcb J-Pole, but don't know many pcb with real J-pole. The gain of Jpole is maybe slight more more than standard omni and are pretty wideband.

This is the one I use, but I Replace the Coax, as the supplied with the module is not good.
www.dx.com/p/repair-parts-replacement-in...i-32562#.VgFK6svosy8

Maybe someone can measure it? For me they work fine!

More
22 Sep 2015 20:06 #37967 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic High gain antenna

RoGuE_StreaK wrote: Tandy Australia II, ... ;)

Anything else in the fleet that floats?

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
22 Sep 2015 20:48 #37975 by RoGuE_StreaK

mwm wrote: Anything else in the fleet that floats?

Not yet, though contemplating a seaplane of some sort, eg. Polaris :P
I've got something that kinda sinks, an FM controlled micro sub, pretty-much useless though I did experiment and find that unwinding it's antenna gave much better range (ie. 1m). Will have to get it operating before summer. Also quite a few other things that either require modules I haven't put in yet, or protocols that haven't been worked on yet.

So any other thoughts on antennas?

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds