How to do a range test?

More
02 Feb 2014 20:03 #19733 by harald.doerr
How to do a range test? was created by harald.doerr
I am struggling how best to perform a range test.

Guess one way is to limit transmitter signal, for example to 1 mW? Is that the best way to do this? What range test process are you using?

Thanks, Harald

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Feb 2014 21:02 #19740 by linux-user

More
14 May 2017 23:43 #62308 by Wanderer777
Replied by Wanderer777 on topic How to do a range test?
I just registered with Bitbucket, only to know how a range test is done (and upscaled) but the link above does not seem to be valid anymore ("Access denied") :(

So same question still unanswered: how to perform a range test? Or, to be more exact, how do I convert the result of the range test to a bigger scale then? Is there some kind of formula? So if I can walk, let's say, 10 meters, during the range test until the connection gets lost, what does that mean for 100mW output? Or 150mW?

That may be a simple question, but all threads about range tests in this forum lead to this mysterious Bitbucket thing - which can't be accessed :huh:

More
15 May 2017 14:20 #62320 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic How to do a range test?
Hmm. Seems like the 7E now has a range test page. Best to use that, as it will reset your power level to the model's setting when you exit. That avoids trying to fly before you reset it.

As to the bigger question - you don't. The power numbers the range test page tells you aren't accurate. Even if they were, your real range will depend on how the ground reflects radio waves and the relationship between your aircraft and those reflections. So the maximum you get with a ground test could be well over or well under what you see at full power, depending on those factors. The range test is to make sure your radio has basic functionality at normal working ranges, not a test of how much range you have.

For what little it's worth radio range increases as the square root of the power output. So if you use 30x more power, you get not quite 5.5 times the range. But again, the radio powers reported by deviation aren't correct.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
15 May 2017 17:00 #62322 by Moeder
Replied by Moeder on topic How to do a range test?
Please refer to the manual. Chapter 8.5, Page 27
www.deviationtx.com/user-manual?download...:devo10manual-en-pdf

More
16 May 2017 08:17 #62344 by Wanderer777
Replied by Wanderer777 on topic How to do a range test?
Ah ok, thanks. So, according to the manual, you have to multiply the result by 30 (when using 100uW during the test and 100mW while flying).

I just want to know the approximate range of my model, I know it's just a rough estimation.

Time to create page: 0.030 seconds