Should I be able to bind to an MCPx?

More
10 Sep 2012 02:01 #1445 by gabeo
Both of my Devo Walkeras and my WK Walkera receivers bind and work great. However, I'm not able to successfully bind to either of my MCPx's or to my Spektrum AR7200BX flybarless system. They currently all bind to my DX6i though. I haven't had the MCPXs or Spektrum stuff long, so I'm new to how they work. Is there something (like a bind plug on a Walkera) that I need to do to make the DSM2 stuff work?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2012 03:43 #1447 by magic_marty
Replied by magic_marty on topic Should I be able to bind to an MCPx?
if you have the devo8s then it should work but if you have the plain devo8 then i think you need to add the telemetry module..

i found this on rcgroups posted by a member ...

Here are the steps on how to bind to DSM 2:

Prerequisite: Transmitter powered off, receiver/model powered off.

1. Power on transmitter.
2. Power on model (plug in battery). Will be in bind mode.
3. Go to transmitter and select bind.
4. Remove battery from model.
5. Plug in battery to model again.
6. Once model is powered up, the model will be bound.

If the transmitter is powered off and on again, this whole process needs to be repeated again.

More
10 Sep 2012 04:49 - 10 Sep 2012 04:49 #1452 by gabeo
Replied by gabeo on topic Should I be able to bind to an MCPx?
Ya I saw that RCG thread. The Devo Hacking one. I tried everything in there and I'm still not able to bind. Not sure what else to try.
Last edit: 10 Sep 2012 04:49 by gabeo.

More
10 Sep 2012 11:03 #1464 by kcornels
Replied by kcornels on topic Should I be able to bind to an MCPx?
are there any plans to do a kind of "autobind" with Spektrum ?models So that I just have to bind once ?

More
10 Sep 2012 22:51 #1486 by gabeo
I'd like to see an initial bind first. I am still unable to get it to bind at all. Once that works, then I'll worry about bells and whistles.

More
11 Sep 2012 01:09 #1494 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Should I be able to bind to an MCPx?
There shouldn't be anything in the non-telemetry version that prevents it from binding. Now that I think about it, that is true for the Nine-Eagles too, since the radio needs to be able to scan for in-use channels. I need to spend more time looking at why it doesn't work without telemetry.

I also just need to spend more time with DSM2 in general I guess

More
11 Sep 2012 03:19 #1498 by gabeo
ya but it shouldn't matter because i have an 8s with tel anyway

More
11 Sep 2012 03:29 #1500 by PhracturedBlue

gabeo wrote: ya but it shouldn't matter because i have an 8s with tel anyway

Well consensus seems to be that the DSM2 code isn't very reliable in Deviation at this time. I need to spend some more time testing with my proper Spektrum Rx (rather than the OrangeRx I was originally using) and go back through the specs. There's probably some bugs in there somewhere.

More
11 Sep 2012 03:30 #1501 by gabeo
sounds good to me! we all really appreciate what you've done! This project has turned into a stellar accomplishment!

More
11 Sep 2012 19:30 #1539 by kcornels
after serveral tries I can bind to the MCPX sometimes... . You just have to press bind directly after switching on the heli. If I wait until the heli goes in to Bind Mode (after 5 seconds without a TX-signal) I havn't been succesfull... .

But I have no chance to set the operation mode (DX4 or computer tx) of the rx.... . I can move the servos, but can't start the motor... .

More
12 Sep 2012 14:48 - 12 Sep 2012 14:49 #1561 by rototophe
Replied by rototophe on topic Should I be able to bind to an MCPx?

PhracturedBlue wrote:

gabeo wrote: ya but it shouldn't matter because i have an 8s with tel anyway

Well consensus seems to be that the DSM2 code isn't very reliable in Deviation at this time. I need to spend some more time testing with my proper Spektrum Rx (rather than the OrangeRx I was originally using) and go back through the specs. There's probably some bugs in there somewhere.

Yes! yes! yes! Combination of Blade Nano CP coming out and Fall/Winter coming up makes it an absolute top priority :P
Last edit: 12 Sep 2012 14:49 by rototophe.

More
12 Sep 2012 15:07 #1562 by Flo38
Replied by Flo38 on topic Should I be able to bind to an MCPx?
Hi,

For the mcpx V2 with programmable Spektrum TX, you need to move the rudder stick to the full right position after having pressed the binding button and waited 2 seconds.

Have you tried that ?

More
12 Sep 2012 15:51 #1563 by kcornels
surely... . :-)

and I tried to bind in DX4 Mode... .

More
12 Sep 2012 16:58 #1564 by PhracturedBlue
FYI:
I have verified that while DSM2 mode works flawlessly with my OrangeRX, it does not bind to my AR6210, yet my HP6DSM does.
I tried to solder some leads to the AR6210 this morning but my hands weren't steady enough to solder to the QFN package. I'll give it another shot later. I can still do DSM2 testing by just using my Devo8 to listen to the communication, but that won't be viable for DSMX since I don't have a DSMx compatible Tx.

I'll post more when I know more.

More
13 Sep 2012 04:55 #1568 by PhracturedBlue
Well, after some very nerve-wracking soldering, I was able to hook up my logic-analyzer to my AR6210. While it may never fly again, it will be really useful for working on DSMX in the future.

After a couple more hours of banging my head against the wall, I think I've fixed the bugs, and can now reliably bind my AR6210 and OrangeRx in 6channel mode.
I need to test a few more things and cleanup the code before I commit, but I'm too tired to do it tonight.

More
13 Sep 2012 05:17 #1570 by gabeo
great news! You mentioned DSMX, but does this include the DSM2 issues as well?

I have to say, on a side note, that Deviation is probably one of the biggest things to ever happen to Hobby RC IMO. You probably already know this, but you and your team have LITERALLY achieved the holy grail of RC flight. And the fact that you're doing all this work and giving it away for free is incredible.

THANK YOU!

More
13 Sep 2012 05:49 #1571 by PhracturedBlue

gabeo wrote: great news! You mentioned DSMX, but does this include the DSM2 issues as well?

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I've only actually worked on DSM2. DSMX is not yet ready. DSM2 now seems to work robustly for me with the fixes I did today.

The modifications I made to my Rx will make it possible to do some DSMX work in the future, but that is not yet started.

More
13 Sep 2012 06:23 #1572 by gabeo
Good enough for me. If I've interpreted EflightWIki properly, DSMX and DSM2 are backwards and forwards compatible with each other. If that is true, is there even a rush to get DSMX working?

More
13 Sep 2012 12:25 #1584 by PhracturedBlue

gabeo wrote: Good enough for me. If I've interpreted EflightWIki properly, DSMX and DSM2 are backwards and forwards compatible with each other. If that is true, is there even a rush to get DSMX working?

I believe all Models that support DSMX will fall back to DSM2 if the Tx only supports DSM2, so from a control perspective, DSM2 is all that is needed. However, DSMX uses frequency-hopping and believed to be much more reliable at a crowded airfield.
From my perspective, the protocol work is the most interesting development work, so I like the challenge of figuring out new protocols. The DSMX protocol itself is very similar to DSM2 but is not compatible with it. The transmitter and receiver agree on a protocol when they start up which is one or the other.

More
13 Sep 2012 18:03 - 13 Sep 2012 18:07 #1587 by rototophe
Replied by rototophe on topic Should I be able to bind to an MCPx?

PhracturedBlue wrote: Well, after some very nerve-wracking soldering, I was able to hook up my logic-analyzer to my AR6210. While it may never fly again, it will be really useful for working on DSMX in the future.

After a couple more hours of banging my head against the wall, I think I've fixed the bugs, and can now reliably bind my AR6210 and OrangeRx in 6channel mode.
I need to test a few more things and cleanup the code before I commit, but I'm too tired to do it tonight.

Awsome! I Might just preorder a Nano CP to celebrate the good news :lol:

You know I was thinking reading your post about soldering to the AR6210 and this one being de facto pretty much committed to research now. I remember as well how you fried your logic analyzer a few weeks back and other expense involved in making the firmware a reality and improving it from this point forward. Why not setup a donation link somewhere where people could willingly contribute $5 or whatever they want to help covering expense related to developing and improving the firmware, hosting, and whatnot?
Last edit: 13 Sep 2012 18:07 by rototophe.

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds