Single-Board Universal Module

More
18 Feb 2016 02:08 #43223 by Daryoon
Replied by Daryoon on topic Single-Board Universal Module
I see DSMX listed in the spreadsheet. If it's based on Deviation...it definitely would support DSMX.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2016 19:51 #43250 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic Single-Board Universal Module
This one - world.taobao.com/item/27232304992.htm?fr...a.7728556.0.0.nN6PUc - seems to be a Universal Module manufactured by someone with Chinese industrial access. The price is very low - $23 or $37 shipped, less if bought several (90 yuan for the first kilo whipping). I did not buy anything from taobao and don't know how reliable is it, otherwise I wouldn't think twice. And it takes 3 months to ship overseas :-( And it looks like all four radio chips mounted on the board.

More
18 Feb 2016 20:00 #43252 by victzh
Sorry, on closer look at the back I noticed it's just 3 (not even 4) radio chips with every chip having their CS separately and probably some kind of switch before LNA/PA. It is usefule even in this form if it has good LNA/PA - it reduces mess of wires and can help to make an easier solution than having 3 separate modules.

More
18 Feb 2016 20:33 #43257 by Daryoon
Hmmm... looks like there are TaoBao agents that can buy and ship to you.

www.yoybuy.com/

Anybody ever tried?

More
19 Feb 2016 00:36 - 19 Feb 2016 02:45 #43269 by dc59
Replied by dc59 on topic Single-Board Universal Module

victzh wrote: This one - world.taobao.com/item/27232304992.htm?fr...a.7728556.0.0.nN6PUc - seems to be a Universal Module manufactured by someone with Chinese industrial access. The price is very low - $23 or $37 shipped, less if bought several (90 yuan for the first kilo whipping). I did not buy anything from taobao and don't know how reliable is it, otherwise I wouldn't think twice. And it takes 3 months to ship overseas :-( And it looks like all four radio chips mounted on the board.

Hi Victzh,
This one is 3 in 1 version, NRF24L01 / A7105 / CC2500.
150 RMB

and here is 4 in 1 module: CYRF6936 / NRF24L01 / A7105 / CC2500
item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14....1&abbucket=16#detail
200 RMB
it also provided PPM module for flysky and frsky , 250 RMB , but it looks not good enough because it can only select 15 protocols(switch/knob limited).

I ordered 2 pcs. of 3 in 1 module,wait for shipping.
Last edit: 19 Feb 2016 02:45 by dc59.

More
19 Feb 2016 02:26 #43277 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Single-Board Universal Module
Again, the 4-in-1 module is NOT a deviation rf module. It's an external module for use in controllers that have external rf modules, like the TH-9X and Taranis. It uses PPM to talk to controller, and has it's own on-board CPU that does the protocol implementations. So you have to select the protocol via a knob on the board, can only use protocols it selects, have to update the protocols by updating the firmware on the board, and may well be missing features that depend on interactions with the CPU at levels below the PPM signals. Using PPM also means you are in practice limited by the channel count.

If you're using deviation, you'd be better off with a multimodule. If you're using a radio with an external module, you'd be better off building your own, as you could then use the new version that uses a serial protocol instead of PPM, meaning you can use your controller for protocol selection and don't have to deal with the channel count issues of PPM.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
19 Feb 2016 02:51 #43278 by dc59
Thanks mwm ! :cheer:

More
19 Feb 2016 03:20 #43279 by dc59
Some information about 3 in 1 module:
1, pin define

2, DEVO 10 chip select connection & setting

3, DEVO 7e chip select connection & setting

I got 2 problems,
1, My TX is DEVO 8S, which pin can I used for #3 RF chip ?
2, It's not easy to solder wire to MUC .
Thanks.

More
19 Feb 2016 07:13 #43285 by victzh
I ordered couple of what dc59 mentioned - 4 chip bare module. It can be a base for universal module - it has all 4 chips on it but without glue logic. If someone in China can produce reliable 4 chip module on one board it can be a great help - all other components are not RF critical and so are a lot more relaxed.
I used bhiner.com as a taobao agent, we'll see how well it works. They accept PayPal - it makes them much more trusted in my eyes, at least I should not worry about my credit card numbers.

It cost me so far $73.29 for 2 pieces (200 yuan net cost each) with all agent, top up, and delivery fees. I'll report on delivery how successful it was.

More
19 Feb 2016 07:47 - 22 Feb 2016 05:39 #43286 by dc59
Hi Victzh,

Are you planning to remove stock CYRF6936 module and install 4 in 1 module on TX?
It would be a great news, it need only one antenna! :woohoo:

BTW, Do you have any idea about my problem that #3 RF chip chip select pin ?

Thanks a lot.
Last edit: 22 Feb 2016 05:39 by dc59.

More
19 Feb 2016 08:10 - 19 Feb 2016 08:14 #43287 by dc59
4 in 1 module pin define

4 in 1 RF module

4 in 1 PPM module

Last edit: 19 Feb 2016 08:14 by dc59.

More
19 Feb 2016 08:21 #43288 by mwm

dc59 wrote: BTW, Do you have any idea about my problem that #3 RF chip chip select pin ?

You can look over the hardware docs at deviationtx.com/articles/17-hardware-doc...hardware-connections to see what pins are unused. You'll need to get the CPU spec (linked in the hardware docs) to figure out which CPU pin maps to what IO pins. You might also check the other functions for that CPU pin, and make sure they aren't in use. You can ask here (well, another thread would be better) for help with that if you want.

That still leaves you soldering on the MCU pins, though. That's avoided for the two pins normally used by deviation because we picked pins used by the SWD port, which is used for software debugging and in-circuit programming. They aren't used for anything else, so are free and easy to get to. To get around that, you need to disassemble your 8S and see if you can find an unused pin that's exposed somewhere on the mainboard. The apparently did that on the 10 and found one. I know there are unused pins on the 6S, so if this works for you I may well order one as well. In spite of the poor range - I mostly fly indoor stuff with the 6S because.

I misread the docs the first time, and thought the pin they recommended for the 10 was for the 7E. Not the case, so the pins they recommend are actually unused. Thanks for posting a clarification of that.

This is no longer really appropriate for the universal module discussion, as it's more a multimodule. When you get it, could you start a new thread about the installation and how it works?

More
19 Feb 2016 08:36 - 19 Feb 2016 08:37 #43289 by dc59
Hi mwm,
Thanks for reply.
Is that mean GPIOA 4 / 8 / 15 were unused

I can use it for chip select? (if I can solder it to that pin ......)

I will start a new thread once I get module.
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Feb 2016 08:37 by dc59.

More
19 Feb 2016 09:02 #43292 by mwm
Yp, that's exactly right. Doesn't look like they're used for anything else as well. But check the board to see what they're connected t. You want to do that anyway, as you may discover a trace to them that goes a solder point even if they are unused, ala the 10 and 6.

There are also unused pins in most of the other ports as well.

More
19 Feb 2016 09:03 #43293 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic Single-Board Universal Module
Thats good news guys, that will make life easy !

Check also Phractured blue Ultimate Devo 7e, he added two analog POTS to his Devo 7e connecting 2 of the open unused pins.

More
19 Feb 2016 09:30 #43296 by dc59
Thanks all of your help !! :)

More
19 Feb 2016 17:18 #43321 by Daryoon
Any way to use the TaoBao module in the Taranis module bay without resorting to ppm or the little rotary knob thingy? Is there a special firmware one needs to flash to the Taranis?

More
19 Feb 2016 19:39 #43329 by victzh
OpenTx has what they call PXX protocol - digital way to pass up to 16 channels to the TX module. One can piggyback on this protocol and pass protocol change info - you'll need to modify both module firmware and OpenTx for your Taranis.

May be it is already implemented. They have forum for OpenTx at openrcforums.com/forum/index.php - may be it makes sense to search it for these kind of questions or ask them.

More
19 Feb 2016 20:23 #43330 by ruzam
Replied by ruzam on topic Single-Board Universal Module
So...

The 7E and 8S are a little short on easily accessible PA pins. Why not multiplex the 2 pins that are available using a 2 to 4 line decoder? How hard would it be to update deviation to allow a config entry like this:

enable-nrf24101 = A13A14

With this config, when the nrf24101 module (for example) is enabled 'both' PA13 and PA14 would be selected. Using a 2 to 4 decoder would then allow enabling up to 3 modules on the same 2 lines and we wouldn't have to tap (and/or destroy) a delicate MCU pin to get one more PA line. I would probably program a 8 pin ATTiny to do the job of decoding (dirt cheap). Or one half of a dual 2 to 4 decoder (74LS139) or a 3 to 8 (74LS138) would also do the trick (also dirt cheap). And it would be one less wire attached to the main board.

More
20 Feb 2016 01:39 #43340 by dc59

ruzam wrote: So...

The 7E and 8S are a little short on easily accessible PA pins. Why not multiplex the 2 pins that are available using a 2 to 4 line decoder? How hard would it be to update deviation to allow a config entry like this:

enable-nrf24101 = A13A14

With this config, when the nrf24101 module (for example) is enabled 'both' PA13 and PA14 would be selected. Using a 2 to 4 decoder would then allow enabling up to 3 modules on the same 2 lines and we wouldn't have to tap (and/or destroy) a delicate MCU pin to get one more PA line. I would probably program a 8 pin ATTiny to do the job of decoding (dirt cheap). Or one half of a dual 2 to 4 decoder (74LS139) or a 3 to 8 (74LS138) would also do the trick (also dirt cheap). And it would be one less wire attached to the main board.

Is it possible to install a 2 to 4 daughter board on 3 in 1 module ?

Time to create page: 1.318 seconds