Throttle hold

More
24 Dec 2012 19:42 #4251 by Freezywilly
Throttle hold was created by Freezywilly
A question was asked over on RCgroups on when to use throttle hold.
From what I can gather there is two basic ideas. First using throttle hold on the left side of transmitter and second using the right side of the transmitter. I use spektrum transmitters so I use the right throttle hold.
Now here is the idea: how about using the throttle stick itself. The old idea of unlearning the slam down of the stick How you ask, well encorporate a touch sensitive capability into the stick. As soon as you let go of the stick throttle hold is enabled. An approach is a capacitive touch capability added to the stick.
What I am doing is throwing out an idea and see if it flys. While deviation is software, hardware mods seem to be a possibility.
I hope this starts some discussion but not a left versus right argument.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Dec 2012 20:52 #4254 by sbstnp
Replied by sbstnp on topic Throttle hold
I sometimes lift my finger off the throttle when in a hover, and just use ele/ail to keep it steady. :whistle:

Too difficult to implement, imo. Many factors involved and after all what's wrong with using a stick ? B)

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire

More
24 Dec 2012 21:25 #4255 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Throttle hold
I have no idea how useful it would be, but from a technical perspective I would:
a) make the knurl on the stick conductive. Maybe just buy an aluminum end
b) run a wire through the gimbal to the stick
c) connect the wire to an RC circuit, and drive via a PWM output on the MCU (need to find a free pin
d) read the rise-time with the A/D converter (or a threshold compare) (need another free pin)

I'm not sure how reliable it would be, but given that you just need to detect connected or not it should work pretty well assuming you can achieve all of the above.

More
24 Dec 2012 21:42 #4257 by Freezywilly
Replied by Freezywilly on topic Throttle hold
There are chips designed to detect capacitive coupling from the human body. They are very sensitive and can be used. The signals you refer to are maybe part of it. Another approach is the throttle hold function in software. This capability is only activated if throttle hold is required. Right now throttle hold can be selected by various means in the software. The hardware interface is TBD. The question of it's use and acceptance will depend upon the user community.

More
25 Dec 2012 17:47 #4264 by SadSack
Replied by SadSack on topic Throttle hold
micro/mini electric heli's this could work or why not put toggle switch on the end of the throttle stick.

For every other heli this would be very bad idea indeed. You have auto-rotation so can still control tail so you wouldn't let go of sticks.
Attachments:

More
25 Dec 2012 23:36 #4267 by Freezywilly
Replied by Freezywilly on topic Throttle hold
Sadsac yes I did not intend to release the cyclic.
A switch on the end of the collective stick might work or a squeeze sensor on the stick.

More
25 Dec 2012 23:46 #4268 by magic_marty
Replied by magic_marty on topic Throttle hold
i don't understand this concept...it is very easy to set the TH-hold to a switch and just keep your forefinger next to it when you need to hit th-hold...why complicate things? a lot of people fly including myself using there thumbs on the end of the sticks and a switch there would be very aggravating to say the least...one of the things about learning to fly is training yourself to get used to using the th-hold switch...just my opinion..:)

More
26 Dec 2012 00:12 - 26 Dec 2012 00:20 #4269 by SadSack
Replied by SadSack on topic Throttle hold
Honestly lots of things I'd like little different on TX but i'd rather leave throttle hold standard/stock. When club flying you may ask for help and they may well say no when stuff like that are different. After all if you learn nothing but where throttle hold is can save a lot of time in repairs.

Why not change switch for momentary on switch and just let go when needed? Devo don't trainer switch(other name for it) or software as yet but be handy to have.

www.espritmodel.com/transmitter-accessories-jeti.aspx switchs
Last edit: 26 Dec 2012 00:20 by SadSack.

More
19 Feb 2016 14:36 - 19 Feb 2016 14:38 #43311 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic Throttle hold
The bad thing about the Devo 10 compared to Spektrum DX8/DX9/DX18 is:

- it has no real hold switch on the back (I have to use rudder D/R as a Mode3 flyer)
- 2-way Gear is on left top instead of back side (counterpart of TH)
- top left (Gear) switch is only two-way, not 3-way like "Flap/Gyro switch" on Spektrum DX8++

@Walkera: How about a Devo 10 V2/V3 switch update? :-)
The white Devo 10 (I like black or silver) has no more sticks than the black version, right?

@DeviationTX team: Are there any free places on the Devo 10 board to maybe support adding switches or changing the top left 2-way switch to 3-way (just like your Devo7E mods)?

Thomas
Last edit: 19 Feb 2016 14:38 by Thomas.Heiss.

More
20 Feb 2016 05:34 #43347 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Throttle hold
Have you thought about just buying a Devo 12? That costs less than the Dx9, and solved all your issues except maybe placement. I believe there F12E will also do that, doesn't have the touch screen, and costs about what the Dx8 does, but I'm not sure about the details.

There are unused pins on the 10, but most of them would require soldering to the mcu pins. Not easy. And we really need a more flexible way to configure those than what was done on the 7e and more recently on the 6.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
20 Feb 2016 09:57 #43355 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic Throttle hold
Thank you for your suggestions Mike.
Well, was just curious for maybe getting back my "real DX8 hold switch" instead of Rudd D/R :-)

For 10-12CH another Devo 10 3-way switch (e.g for glider 5++ custom flight-modes) could be nice.
Buying / sender upgrade is not an option for me in 2016 anyways...

I very much like the Devo 10 - as my Spektrum DX8 replacement - with DeviationTX firmware and ongoing protocol (quad) hacking.
But e.g clubs or bigger planes, 100% DE/EU insurance or higher end...that may be a different (Non-Devo/Non-Hacking) story...

Lot's of things to do in 2016 (with crash-proof planes/quads) like testing newer Indigos Spektrum DSM protocol test builds :-)
Will be happy to be flying my 450er heli again (DSMx TM1000).

Devo 12s would be about 280EUR-314EUR (FCC China versions) + 19% VAT + customs, up to 359EUR CE version at a DE dealer.
Devo 12s even has only the 2-way gear switch top left as Devo 10 instead of 3-way.

For the money of a Devo 12s you are IMHO probably better going with a Taranis 9XD, 9XE, Horus X12s, which are:
- CE compliant
- FrSky FHSS protocol
- ETSI compliant
- better insurance compatible because of CE/certified transmitter and FrSky FHSS (including OpenTX firmware)
- little bit more powerful OpenTX firmware (including LUA wizards)
- better FrSky telemetry

May plan is to maybe jump onto FrSky D16 as an intermediate step.

More
20 Feb 2016 13:31 #43359 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Throttle hold
The taranis can also fly bunches of RTF toys as well. You needed to build the multi protocol module, so your still out insurance where that's applicable. And they've just started on the serial line support, so it's not as flexible/nice as the deviation option, but it is there.

I haven't really decided whether I'd buy a 12 - or even another 10 - or a taranis if I had to replace my 10, continuing to use the 6s for the oddball stuff. Hopefully, it'll be a while before I have to make that decision.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds