Question regarding the Walkera Devo 8s

More
05 Sep 2013 16:22 - 05 Sep 2013 16:22 #13572 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Question regarding the Walkera Devo 8s

Essen1 wrote: Also while I have you here, FDR, is there a way to perhaps implement a bit more options for plane fliers, such as the choice of wing type?

To be honest, that would be against the deviation "philosophy".

Those are predefined functions and settings, which are supposed to hide the phisical implementation.
However in deviation you directly configure the phisical layer: you define with the mixers, what values go out to the phisical channels.

To build in such features we would have to rape this concept.
A good example for this is the heli CCPM mixing: while we have built in CCPM support, that only covers the calculation itself, at the same time it messes up the whole nice concept with special mixer types, additional virtual channels, and so on...

Better would be, if advanced airplane users made some easily usable templates for all kind of plane types, which would ease configuring a new model...
Last edit: 05 Sep 2013 16:22 by FDR.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2013 16:37 #13573 by Essen1
Replied by Essen1 on topic Question regarding the Walkera Devo 8s

FDR wrote:

Essen1 wrote: Also while I have you here, FDR, is there a way to perhaps implement a bit more options for plane fliers, such as the choice of wing type?

To be honest, that would be against the deviation "philosophy".

Those are predefined functions and settings, which are supposed to hide the phisical implementation.
However in deviation you directly configure the phisical layer: you define with the mixers, what values go out to the phisical channels.

To build in such features we would have to rape this concept.
A good example for this is the heli CCPM mixing: while we have built in CCPM support, that only covers the calculation itself, at the same time it messes up the whole nice concept with special mixer types, additional virtual channels, and so on...

Better would be, if advanced airplane users made some easily usable templates for all kind of plane types, which would ease configuring a new model...

That makes sense.

However, I've been trying to set up some flaperons on my glider and use a 2-channel set up (Ch 2 & 6) for this but I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to get the correct settings going.

I appreciate your input above. Maybe I'm approaching this from a completely wrong angle. I guess over time and I'll be able to figure it out.

Thanks again, FDR.

More
05 Sep 2013 17:42 #13575 by FDR
I would willingly help to configure, but I don't know, what should the servos do in such a wing types... :blush:

More
05 Sep 2013 18:08 - 05 Sep 2013 18:09 #13576 by sbstnp
Replied by sbstnp on topic Question regarding the Walkera Devo 8s
I'll help you tomorrow with screenshots if you'd like. Too tired tonight.

Basic philosophy is:

- choose a switch (MIX for example, 3 positions)
- use a complex Mixer
- assign switch positions and offset the channel value based on this

You could have for example:

mix0 -> offset 0
mix1 -> offset 30
mix2 -> offset 60

The offset could be negative as well, and you must check the servo direction too.

This could be done differently with some % math on each channel instead of simple offsets, but I was completely satisfied with this approach as soon as I found the correct offset value.

Good luck, and if it doesn't work, I'll come back with screenshots in the morning.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire
Last edit: 05 Sep 2013 18:09 by sbstnp.

More
05 Sep 2013 18:35 #13577 by Essen1
Wow!

Guys, thanks a million wanting to help me get this figured out! I really appreciate it.

Sbstnp,

I'll try your settings tonight after work. :)

FDR,

Here's a video that shows how the Aileron servos move when flaperons are programed in. They run on two channels, usually 2 & 6 instead of just channel 2.

I had them on my old FlySky Th9X, which has croaked, on a 3-pos switch.

Mike

More
05 Sep 2013 18:42 #13578 by Essen1
Come to think of it, if we can create a flaperon template it will benefit other plane fliers on here since the Devo Txs w/Deviation are such versatile radios.

:)

More
05 Sep 2013 19:13 - 05 Sep 2013 19:17 #13579 by Hexperience
Replied by Hexperience on topic Question regarding the Walkera Devo 8s
This will ADD +30 to both channel 2 and 6 when mix switch is 1 and ADD +60 to both channel 2 and 6 when mix switch is 2. This is waaaaay more than you would expect to use, but it exaggerates it so you can see it in the emulator. You probably only want +10 and +20. I've also assumed here that the second Aileron channel (6) needs to be reversed but obviously it may not if the servos are opposite to each other in the wings.

[channel2]
template=complex
[mixer]
src=AIL
dest=Ch2
[mixer]
src=AIL
dest=Ch2
switch=MIX1
scalar=30
usetrim=0
muxtype=add
curvetype=fixed
[mixer]
src=AIL
dest=Ch2
switch=MIX2
scalar=60
usetrim=0
muxtype=add
curvetype=fixed

[channel6]
template=complex
[mixer]
src=!AIL
dest=Ch6
usetrim=0
curvetype=expo
points=0,0
[mixer]
src=MIX1
dest=Ch6
switch=MIX1
scalar=30
usetrim=0
muxtype=add
curvetype=fixed
[mixer]
src=AIL
dest=Ch6
switch=MIX2
scalar=60
usetrim=0
muxtype=add
curvetype=fixed

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
Last edit: 05 Sep 2013 19:17 by Hexperience.

More
05 Sep 2013 19:25 #13580 by Hexperience
Also in the above, on the second or third mixer you could assign one of the variable POTS as the source, which would allow you to turn a knob to add or reduce the amount of flaperon.

In the example above, just change src= to src=AUX4 (just as an example)

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

More
05 Sep 2013 20:43 #13583 by Essen1

Hexperience wrote: Also in the above, on the second or third mixer you could assign one of the variable POTS as the source, which would allow you to turn a knob to add or reduce the amount of flaperon.

In the example above, just change src= to src=AUX4 (just as an example)

Hexperience,

Thank you very much for posting the channel settings! I'll try them and Sbstnp's tonight and will report back.

But my Devo 8s doesn't have any knobs to turn. I think the Devo12s is equipped with those. I'd have use a 3-pos switch, I think. I had the flaperons on a knob on my old TH9X and you could deploy them gradually but I don't think the Devo 8S has the capability.

Mike

More
05 Sep 2013 21:11 #13584 by Drexz
Replied by Drexz on topic Question regarding the Walkera Devo 8s
If its not a motor glider, you can always use the throttle stick to adjust the flaperons. To me it makes sense since you use the flaperons as brakes? :)

More
05 Sep 2013 21:19 #13585 by Essen1

Drexz wrote: If its not a motor glider, you can always use the throttle stick to adjust the flaperons. To me it makes sense since you use the flaperons as brakes? :)

Drexz,

It's a motor glider...J-Power Sky Surfer V1

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1225841

Yes, I want to use them as brakes/landing aid to slow the plane down.

More
06 Sep 2013 02:18 - 06 Sep 2013 02:19 #13587 by Hexperience
You don't have to use the pots, it was just an example.

In the current form of deviation, I don't think you can apply a speed to a single mix page, but this is where it would be nice. If you apply the speed setting now, you would have to put it at the channel level and of course that would slow down your aileron inputs. If we could apply speed at the mixer level then when you flip the switch, it would take X number of seconds to ADD the +30 (or whatever amount). So in effect you would have full speed control on the ailerons, but they would both slowly tilt down... that would be neat... As it is, they will suddenly flip down. You could get into using virtual channels to do it, but for now, get it working and then we can play with making it pretty... ;)

Last edit: 06 Sep 2013 02:19 by Hexperience.

More
06 Sep 2013 02:41 #13588 by Essen1

If we could apply speed at the mixer level then when you flip the switch, it would take X number of seconds to ADD the +30 (or whatever amount). So in effect you would have full speed control on the ailerons, but they would both slowly tilt down... that would be neat.

That would be a great feature to have, Hex!

Something to slow down the servos at a certain setting or value on the switches, if desired. It would make the whole flaps, gear, spoilerons and flaperons much smoother and more scale-like instead of having them deployed so abruptly.

Maybe one of the software wizards on the development team & PhracturedBlue can look into it? :whistle:

More
06 Sep 2013 02:50 #13589 by Essen1
Hex,

just trying out your mixer settings you put forth earlier but i don't see any of these (in bold):

[channel2]
template=complex
[mixer]
src=AIL
dest=Ch2
[mixer]
src=AIL
dest=Ch2
switch=MIX1
scalar=30
usetrim=0
muxtype=add
curvetype=fixed
[mixer]
src=AIL
dest=Ch2
switch=MIX2
scalar=60
usetrim=0
muxtype=add
curvetype=fixed

[channel6]
template=complex
[mixer]
src=!AIL
dest=Ch6
usetrim=0
curvetype=expo
points=0,0

[mixer]
src=MIX1
dest=Ch6
switch=MIX1
scalar=30
usetrim=0
muxtype=add
curvetype=fixed
[mixer]
src=AIL
dest=Ch6
switch=MIX2
scalar=60
usetrim=0
muxtype=add
curvetype=fixed

Are there different terms for it in the EMU when in plane mode?

More
06 Sep 2013 04:15 #13591 by FDR
Those are not visible on the GUI, except the curvetype, which is the "Curve" function, the usetrim, which is the "Trim"/"No Trim" button at the bottom of a complex page, but only visible if there is a trim configured to that source...

More
06 Sep 2013 09:45 #13593 by Hexperience

Essen1 wrote:

If we could apply speed at the mixer level then when you flip the switch, it would take X number of seconds to ADD the +30 (or whatever amount). So in effect you would have full speed control on the ailerons, but they would both slowly tilt down... that would be neat.

Something to slow down the servos at a certain setting or value on the switches, if desired. It would make the whole flaps, gear, spoilerons and flaperons much smoother and more scale-like instead of having them deployed so abruptly.

Maybe one of the software wizards on the development team & PhracturedBlue can look into it? :whistle:

You can slow a channel but not a mix. So if you have gear on it's own channel you adjust the speed setting in the channel output page. But in the case of flaperons that would also slow your inputs to the ailerons which we dont want.

More
06 Sep 2013 12:20 #13599 by sbstnp
Replied by sbstnp on topic Question regarding the Walkera Devo 8s
@Essen1, have you had success with your model config? I was really busy today, but now the weekend is here I'll have enough free time to create a tutorial.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire

More
06 Sep 2013 16:18 #13615 by Essen1

FDR wrote: Those are not visible on the GUI, except the curvetype, which is the "Curve" function, the usetrim, which is the "Trim"/"No Trim" button at the bottom of a complex page, but only visible if there is a trim configured to that source...

Aha, that explains it! Thanks FDR :)

More
06 Sep 2013 16:20 #13616 by Essen1

Hexperience wrote:

Essen1 wrote:

You can slow a channel but not a mix. So if you have gear on it's own channel you adjust the speed setting in the channel output page. But in the case of flaperons that would also slow your inputs to the ailerons which we dont want.

Hex,

Slowing everything down isn't going to work, you're right. It would require two different speed settings.

More
06 Sep 2013 16:23 #13617 by Essen1

sbstnp wrote: @Essen1, have you had success with your model config? I was really busy today, but now the weekend is here I'll have enough free time to create a tutorial.

Sbstnp,

No success so far, unfortunately. It might be me, though, because you all have been very helpful :)

But a tutorial might not be such a bad idea...not only for me but for everybody who would like the flaperon feature on their plane. On the other hand, I don't want to take your time away from other things on your weekend.

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds