Question regarding the Walkera Devo 8s

More
01 Sep 2013 17:01 #13453 by Essen1
Replied by Essen1 on topic Question regarding the Walkera Devo 8s

Kdean wrote: I fly a V400, trex 450, 500, two 600 sized (one in a scale fuselage) helis, and a 40" balsa plane on a nightly with no problems. The control stability is not a problem. What happens with nightlies is that when certain features are introduced to the firmware, sometimes little bugs might pop up like display issues. The actual control factor is just as stable as the root 3.0 version.

I have a devo 12s running one of the older nightlies that allowed full use of the screen. Its been a few months now, but im also waiting for the next official release to upgrade the firmware. This is only because of the hastles i have getting the fw's with not internet ready windows pc at home.

Kdean,

Right now I'm using the stock FW. Not bad but it's limited. The only issue I have with it is that the models are not transferable over to the Deviation FW once I install it.

Happy to hear that you had no issues with the nightlies so far. I might try them after all but would have to set everything up from scratch. That's not necessarily a bad thing, will get me used to the Dev FW, I guess :)

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2013 17:02 #13454 by Essen1

sbstnp wrote:

Essen1 wrote: What is the difference in stableness between nightlies and the official 3.0 version, if you don't mind me asking?

"Normal" nightlies usually include commits (modifications) from the last 24 hours, but current nightly hasn't suffered major modifications for quite a while, so It's very stable in my experience. Still, it's your call :)

Keep twisting my arm... :P

More
01 Sep 2013 17:21 #13455 by sbstnp
Replied by sbstnp on topic Question regarding the Walkera Devo 8s

Essen1 wrote:

sbstnp wrote:

Essen1 wrote: What is the difference in stableness between nightlies and the official 3.0 version, if you don't mind me asking?

"Normal" nightlies usually include commits (modifications) from the last 24 hours, but current nightly hasn't suffered major modifications for quite a while, so It's very stable in my experience. Still, it's your call :)

You gotta start sooner or later, why not sooner ? :P

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire

More
01 Sep 2013 17:36 #13457 by Essen1

sbstnp wrote:

Essen1 wrote:

sbstnp wrote:

You gotta start sooner or later, why not sooner ? :P

Very good point! :)

I would need both files, the FW and FS, correct?

More
01 Sep 2013 18:34 #13459 by Kdean
Replied by Kdean on topic Question regarding the Walkera Devo 8s
Haveing to reset your models will be good for you to get used to the advanced gui. It might be a bit confusing at first but it really is the key to getting the most out of your tx.

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
01 Sep 2013 18:41 - 01 Sep 2013 18:41 #13461 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Question regarding the Walkera Devo 8s

Essen1 wrote: I would need both files, the FW and FS, correct?

Yes - install the firmware with dFuse (Walkera Devention Upgrade Tool) and turn your tx on (while still connected to USB). Windows will ask if you want to format your new drive - do so and put the filesystem on the new USB drive (directories media, models, ...; not the structure above like filesystem/devo8).
Last edit: 01 Sep 2013 18:41 by rbe2012.

More
02 Sep 2013 03:42 #13470 by Essen1

rbe2012 wrote:

Essen1 wrote: I would need both files, the FW and FS, correct?

Yes - install the firmware with dFuse (Walkera Devention Upgrade Tool) and turn your tx on (while still connected to USB). Windows will ask if you want to format your new drive - do so and put the filesystem on the new USB drive (directories media, models, ...; not the structure above like filesystem/devo8).

RBE,

Not sure I'm following you...new USB? I guess that means the TX is acting like a flash USB? Or removable drive? Something like that?

I'm sorry for asking all these questions but I'm not a computer guy per se. I know my way around Windows but that's about it. :blush:

A friend of mine asked me yesterday, when he saw the new Devo 8S, if it does have micro SDcard slot. I don't think it needs it because the Tx itself acts as a storage facility. Is that correct?

More
02 Sep 2013 06:52 #13474 by Kdean
Replied by Kdean on topic Question regarding the Walkera Devo 8s
Here is a vid of my 600 flying with a nightly deviated devo12s. Very stable.

• rbe2012
More
02 Sep 2013 06:55 #13475 by rbe2012
Essen1,

you are right: the Devo is recognized by Windows like a standard USB flash drive (similar to a USB stick).
And you are also correct with the SD card slot. It does not have one (even Devo12 has not). And the memory installed is large enough to fit all needs, as far as I have seen.

More
02 Sep 2013 17:19 #13497 by Essen1
Kdean,

That's pretty impressive! :)

rbe2012,

Thank you very much for the clarification.

I've read somewhere that the Frsky Taranis got a SD card slot but am glad that the Devo8s doesn't need one. One less thing to hassle with :)

More
03 Sep 2013 01:36 - 03 Sep 2013 01:38 #13508 by Essen1
My arm's sore from all the twisting you guys have done... :P

I think I will switch to the 3.0.0 nightly build tomorrow after a round of flying with the D-8S stockware. I already downloaded all the necessary files :)

Don't have time tonight to learn the Devia FW and re-program the models.
Last edit: 03 Sep 2013 01:38 by Essen1.

More
03 Sep 2013 04:16 #13512 by stevecox
Replied by stevecox on topic Question regarding the Walkera Devo 8s
Remember you can make model files in the emulator on the pc first and test them and the functions to familiarize yourself with the interface & copy them to the tx later if you want - makes it familiar when you pick up the tx in whats what and where.

Adelaide

More
04 Sep 2013 00:48 - 04 Sep 2013 00:50 #13538 by Essen1
Steve,

I tried to get myself acclimated to the Emu but I can't get all the channels to fully work, for some reason.

Tried to set up one of my gliders and I only was able to program the throttle output (Channel 3) within the mixer. The rest was basically a no go.

However, it is still a very nice tool to get used to the interface, configs and layout. :)

Oh, and while I'm on here...does anyone know how to program flaperons with the DeviationTX? I couldn't find any info on here or in the manual.
Last edit: 04 Sep 2013 00:50 by Essen1.

• rbe2012
More
04 Sep 2013 05:41 #13544 by rbe2012
I have besides my helis only some simple planes so I can't tell you how to program flaperons, but I have created at least the half of my configs in the emulator - I have never seen that something does not work what does in the tx. It shares the same code with some exceptions concerning the hardware.
So if you encounter problems they will probably also occur when you try to configure your model with the tx. If not, I would be interested in a finer description what you have tried and what did not work to look if there might be an issue somewhere.

More
05 Sep 2013 03:34 #13551 by Essen1
rbe2012,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your question. Was at work and didn't have access to my machine.

Here are two screenshots of the Elevator & Aileron channels. When I adjusted Ch 3, the values in the menu changed but they didn't for the Ch 2 (Ail) in the bottom right panel.

Unless I've done something wrong, they stayed at the value 0, except for Thr, which I could change at will. It shows -100%

Regarding flaperons, I saw that there's not a hell of a lot info out there for the Devo 8s with the original stockware or Deviation when it comes to programing planes, which is actually a shame because it's such a versatile radio and software. :(

Maybe I'll change that once I get the hang of the Dev 3.0.0 nightlies :)
Attachments:

• rbe2012
More
05 Sep 2013 09:23 #13552 by rbe2012
The screenshots do not really tell me anything. Could you upload the model file which is not working? I can import that in the emulator and look to all configured data...

More
05 Sep 2013 15:02 #13562 by Essen1

rbe2012 wrote: The screenshots do not really tell me anything. Could you upload the model file which is not working? I can import that in the emulator and look to all configured data...

I hope this is the right one...
Attachments:

More
05 Sep 2013 15:14 - 05 Sep 2013 15:14 #13563 by Essen1
Rbe2012...

Never mind.

I found out what I was doing wrong and how things work! :blush:

Thanks for your help :)
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Sep 2013 15:14 by Essen1.

More
05 Sep 2013 15:40 #13565 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Question regarding the Walkera Devo 8s
...and what was it?

I don't see any significant change in th Ch2 mixer...

More
05 Sep 2013 15:51 - 05 Sep 2013 15:51 #13568 by Essen1

FDR wrote: ...and what was it?

I don't see any significant change in th Ch2 mixer...

FDR,

Since I'm still trying to wrap my head around the EMU interface, mixers and layout of the Deviation FW I didn't notice that Ch 3 for example shows scale value input in the lower right hand panel and Ch 1, 2 & 4 the subtrim values instead of scale or Max +/- input.

I apologize for the confusion and didn't mean to waste anyone's time but this new FW has definitely some learning curve to it. At least in my case. :S

Also while I have you here, FDR, is there a way to perhaps implement a bit more options for plane fliers, such as the choice of wing type?

I used the search function here but nothing concrete came up.
Last edit: 05 Sep 2013 15:51 by Essen1.

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds