Odd bold text in version 4.0.1

• Get to da choppa!
  • Get to da choppa!'s Avatar Topic Author
More
07 Jan 2014 06:49 #18133 by Get to da choppa!
Odd bold text in version 4.0.1 was created by Get to da choppa!
Hi guys. This is my first post. I'd like to say 'thanks!' for the great firmware and forum.

After recently upgrading from 3.0.0 to 4.0.1, I have a couple of questions:

Boxes one, two, five and six on my Devo 10 display now show larger bold text that partially overlaps if not separated by an empty box. That's no problem in itself, but while the bold text starts out clearly legible, as in the top pic, the bottom line of pixels become obscured and somewhat difficult to read after the timers count down the first five seconds, as in the lower pic. Anyone else getting this?

The other question is, why does my "About Deviation" selection box from the main menu still display version 3.0.0 after my 4.0.1 upgrade? Did I miss something?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
07 Jan 2014 10:50 #18137 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Odd bold text in version 4.0.1
I am quite sure you must have missed something. I can't see the behavior you described.
The version must show 4.0.1, otherwise you probably have still version 3.0.0 installed (possibly uploaded instead of upgrading? If so, get a new devo10.dfu and try again).

More
07 Jan 2014 14:27 - 07 Jan 2014 14:27 #18142 by WheresWaldo
Replied by WheresWaldo on topic Odd bold text in version 4.0.1

rbe2012 wrote: I am quite sure you must have missed something. I can't see the behavior you described.
The version must show 4.0.1, otherwise you probably have still version 3.0.0 installed (possibly uploaded instead of upgrading? If so, get a new devo10.dfu and try again).

He is still on 3.x, look at the battery/power it is too large. Also the trim display is wrong.

Please do the Upgrade again
Last edit: 07 Jan 2014 14:27 by WheresWaldo.

• Get to da choppa!
More
07 Jan 2014 21:27 - 07 Jan 2014 22:24 #18161 by Get to da choppa!
Replied by Get to da choppa! on topic Odd bold text in version 4.0.1
Thanks, guys. Not sure what I did wrong the first time around, but I'll try the upgrade again and report back.

One more question: There's a debug zip folder with a Devo10.elf file in the 4.0.1 folder. How is that file utilized? The manual says "files with the extension zip, and dfu need not be copied," but if the .elf file isn't copied, what purpose does it serve?

Edit: tried a search on the .elf file. Apparently, it shouldn't be installed with the upgrade. Rather, it's used to facilitate error reports.
Last edit: 07 Jan 2014 22:24 by Get to da choppa!.

More
07 Jan 2014 23:12 #18165 by WheresWaldo
Replied by WheresWaldo on topic Odd bold text in version 4.0.1
Also ignore the debug version, it is only for testing purposes, not for actual use.

• Get to da choppa!
More
08 Jan 2014 01:21 #18176 by Get to da choppa!
Thanks for the feedback, guys. It's much appreciated.

I just took another stab at the upgrade and it all went smoothly this time. All my models survived intact (save for the switch icon settings; no big deal), the display looks as it should and everything works fine. I kinda miss that bold text when it was working correctly. It made it easier to see my timer at a glance while flying with the display dimmed. I thought it was a new feature, but I guess it was just an odd glitch.

I still don't know what went wrong the first time, but if it wasn't a brain fart, it may have been a Tx power glitch. My rechargeable AAs were on their last legs.

More
08 Jan 2014 04:47 #18187 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic Odd bold text in version 4.0.1

Get to da choppa! wrote: I kinda miss that bold text when it was working correctly. It made it easier to see my timer at a glance while flying with the display dimmed.

From a quick experiment it appears that all three timers are linked, if you change media/config.ini ";Timer" to "font=14bold" you get it bigger and bolder but all three are that way and overlapping; not sure if you could move them around to not overlap.

Unless I missed a spot where the first timer isn't linked to the other two? I think we need some documentation on the configs etc

More
08 Jan 2014 04:57 - 08 Jan 2014 04:58 #18188 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Odd bold text in version 4.0.1
the comment is just wrong.
There is a font for the small box and one for the big box. It has always been this way, and I don't recall changing it anytime within the past year, so I wouldn't expect fonts between 3.0 and 4.0 to be any different. there are no 'timer' specific fonts.
Last edit: 08 Jan 2014 04:58 by PhracturedBlue.

More
08 Jan 2014 05:49 - 08 Jan 2014 05:52 #18189 by RoGuE_StreaK
Not sure what the go is then, I tried changing multiple things in the config.ini and testing them in the emu, the only one that seemed to give a results was ;Timer

actually I think I've misinterpreted something, does the ";" mean "don't include"?
I believe the line I changed which had an effect was in
[font-smallbox]
;Timer
  font=5x7
  font_color=FFFFFF
  bg_color=0
  box_type=fill

[EDIT] sorry was that saying that my comment was wrong, or the ";Timer" is a comment and is wrong?

Would be good to have this main timer addressable separately, either way
Last edit: 08 Jan 2014 05:52 by RoGuE_StreaK.

More
08 Jan 2014 06:24 #18193 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Odd bold text in version 4.0.1
';' is a comment in the ini language. My pointwas only that the 'smallbox' section has nothing to do with timers per-se

There is no support for different fonts for different datatypes in a box. I have no plans to add any such support.

More
08 Jan 2014 06:30 #18195 by RoGuE_StreaK
Is smallbox only used on the front page, or will changes be seen elsewhere? Just trying to see if there's a way choppa can get his larger timer without adversely effecting too many other things

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
08 Jan 2014 06:35 #18196 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Odd bold text in version 4.0.1
In the main page config you can simply delete the small box for the main timer, add a new big box and place it where is small one was.
No need to change the config.ini, what could have unexpected results because the size of fonts is not used (tbh: at som paces it is..) to determine the size of boxes or labels.
The ";Timers" is a comment (starting with ";"). I personally think the config.inis delivered with Deviation should not contain those comments - documentation should be done elsewhere.

More
08 Jan 2014 07:44 - 08 Jan 2014 07:45 #18198 by WheresWaldo
Replied by WheresWaldo on topic Try this layout on for size
@Get to da choppa!

Copy this to the /layout directory while in USB mode on your Devo10, then from Main page config you can scroll to the last entry and load it. It will make the screen look similar to the one above, except display all 6 switches.

Modify it any way you like.

File Attachment:

File Name: GetToDaChoppa.ini
File Size:0 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Jan 2014 07:45 by WheresWaldo.

• Get to da choppa!
More
08 Jan 2014 08:36 - 08 Jan 2014 08:50 #18202 by Get to da choppa!
@WheresWaldo: As soon as I read the comments about large and small boxes, I was off config'n, and I think I have it dialed-in. Thank you very much for the .ini, though. I'll see how it compares.

Thanks again for all the help.
Last edit: 08 Jan 2014 08:50 by Get to da choppa!.

More
08 Jan 2014 17:27 - 08 Jan 2014 17:27 #18230 by WheresWaldo
Replied by WheresWaldo on topic Once you get it the way you want ...
... post the code in the [gui-128x64] section of your model so you can share it with others.
Last edit: 08 Jan 2014 17:27 by WheresWaldo.

• Get to da choppa!
More
08 Jan 2014 23:13 #18251 by Get to da choppa!
Replied by Get to da choppa! on topic Once you get it the way you want ...

WheresWaldo wrote: ... post the code in the [gui-128x64] section of your model so you can share it with others.

Sorry - I've only been using Deviation for a few weeks, and haven't figured out how to do that. Using your uploaded ini file as an example, I tried opening up the Deviation model file in question, and I see the text info following the 128x64 section, but I don't know how to create the new .ini file for uploading. Do I just cut and paste the section of text to the notepad and save it with a .ini extension?

Here's the (I hope) relevant text:

[gui-128x64]
V-trim=54,10,1
H-trim=1,59,3
V-trim=61,10,2
H-trim=68,59,4
Small-box=2,22,Ch1
Small-box=2,48,Timer2
Battery=102,1
Toggle=5,10,0,72,0,RUD DR
Toggle=17,10,65,132,0,GEAR
Toggle=29,10,131,65,4,MIX
Toggle=41,10,6,69,132,FMODE
TxPower=102,8
Bargraph=71,6,Ch5
Bargraph=123,39,Ch6
Small-box=75,21,Ch5
Small-box=75,39,Ch6
Big-box=2,33,Timer1
quickpage1=Channel monitor

Thanks.

More
08 Jan 2014 23:33 #18252 by WheresWaldo
If you use windows, download Notepad++, it's free and can save the file as a linux text file. Take a look at /layout/default.ini and you can see how to save your own setup as a layout.

• Get to da choppa!
More
09 Jan 2014 00:05 #18253 by Get to da choppa!
Okay, downloaded notepad++. How's this? (see attached)

Thanks again. I'm learning a lot, here.
Attachments:

More
09 Jan 2014 05:19 #18260 by WheresWaldo
Looks good, I just cleaned it up a bit. So if you save this file in \layout you can load it with any model, by going to Model menu > Main page config then scroll to load and it will be in the list. Once loaded it will be the display you chose.

File Attachment:

File Name: LargeFontT...yout.ini
File Size:0 KB
Attachments:

• Get to da choppa!
More
10 Jan 2014 03:07 #18312 by Get to da choppa!
Great! Thanks for the mini-ini lesson. I've gained a much better understanding of the Deviation file system.

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds