Channel Reorder Screen

More
04 Feb 2014 22:41 #19839 by jazzjohn
Channel Reorder Screen was created by jazzjohn
What is the logic of the Move Up and Move Down buttons? I managed to get THR on ch 10 (as seen in the emulator debugging display) and can't seem to move it to another channel by either pressing the MU or MD button.
(Attached is the model ini.)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
05 Feb 2014 06:22 #19852 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Channel Reorder Screen
One item should be always selected. You can move it up or down with the corresponding buttons.
I have not seen any malfunction in an short test. Please provide some more information (esp. which tx you use and which deviation version).

More
05 Feb 2014 12:50 #19856 by jazzjohn
Replied by jazzjohn on topic Channel Reorder Screen
I'm using the 4.01 emulator for the Devo 8.

• rbe2012
More
05 Feb 2014 13:03 #19859 by rbe2012
Ok, I see...
When you scroll down you can find the THRO again, it just walks out of the screen. But this is not wanted (focus should stay on THRO).
Do you know how to file a ticket in bitbucket (see notice at the top of the screen)? If not, I can file it later.

More
05 Feb 2014 14:10 #19864 by jazzjohn
I'll try to file a bug report later.

One other question: should I be able to map any stick to any output channel by reordering?

Thanks.

• rbe2012
More
05 Feb 2014 14:20 #19867 by rbe2012
No, you sort the output channels, not the sticks. The assignment of the sticks to the channels is made in the mixer configuration.
Be aware there is a stick named "throttle" (used as input for mixers), a channel named "throttle" (usually the one controlled by the throttle stick) and a receiver output named "throttle" (where the ESC is connected) - the same name in different context means something different (true for all sticks...).

More
05 Feb 2014 21:56 - 05 Feb 2014 21:56 #19898 by jazzjohn
OK, that explanation greatly reduced my confusion... actually to the point where I no longer understand what the "bug" is -except that the reorder screen doesn't clearly show which output channel the mixer channel is mapped to. While moving it, I can tell by watching it go down, for example. But then going out of the screen and back in again, there is no indication.

Another thing, which might be only a user problem, is that if a mix channel is moved beyond the number of channels set up in the model setup, it seems to disappear from the mixer screen (and maybe it should?) Apparently, some confusion remains :unsure:
Last edit: 05 Feb 2014 21:56 by jazzjohn. Reason: typo

• rbe2012
More
06 Feb 2014 10:44 #19927 by rbe2012
I thought the problem with the reorder screen this is the same as "moving an mix channel"? Can you post a screenshot and point to it?

More
06 Feb 2014 23:14 - 06 Feb 2014 23:15 #19950 by jazzjohn
I'm not sure if this is a bug or confusion. Attached is a pdf with screen shots.
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Feb 2014 23:15 by jazzjohn.

More
07 Feb 2014 00:12 #19954 by Tom Z
Replied by Tom Z on topic Channel Reorder Screen
John, I get the same results. I was going to post about this but saw you already posted asking about this so I am watching this thread...

More
07 Feb 2014 01:44 #19956 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Channel Reorder Screen
It is working as intended. In your last image, there Is a change. the input source for 1 has changed to 'THR' and the input src for 2 has changed to 'AIL'.

The reorder tool is admittedly very confusing to use because we do not have proper labels for the rows. The reorder screen is using the channel name (i.e. the left-most on the mixer screen) names to identify the positions. But you can't actually rename a row. the 1st row ALWAYS has the same name (defined by the protocol).

So you see '1 - ELE' and you move it to position 4. but youen you get back to the mixer '1 - ELE' is stil on top. However, the original contents of rows 2, 3, and 4 have now moved up one. It might be more obvious if you reassign the inputs before playing with the reordering. assign the 1st 8 channels to use Ch1, Ch2, Ch3, ... a their inputs. This doesn't make any functional sense, but it should show you what happens when you do a reorder.

• rbe2012
More
07 Feb 2014 06:14 #19960 by rbe2012
Couldn't we add the controlling input in brackets in the reorder list?

More
07 Feb 2014 14:53 - 07 Feb 2014 14:54 #19970 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Channel Reorder Screen
On the devo8 yes. It is very close on the Devo10 with the regular GUI (remember we need to support it working with translations). We could forgo showing the channel assignment, and instead show:
Ch1 - INPx
Ch2 - INPy

Or something. I'm not sure it it any more clear. I'm certainly open to try different things though.
Last edit: 07 Feb 2014 14:54 by PhracturedBlue.

More
10 Feb 2014 21:56 #20103 by jazzjohn
Thanks for the explanation, PB.
So on the reorder screen, what a user is moving up or moving down (the channels) don't actually move on the mixer screen. Instead, the inputs (and their corresponding templates) move around to get aligned with the channels as if the channels did move and the rows got put back in order again.

Yes, this is confusing.

Instead of using the reorder screen, a user could change the input-to-channel connections in the mixer templates (before any templates are set up.)

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds