Devo 7e potentiometers ¿?

More
05 Mar 2014 20:52 #21267 by Solmer
Devo 7e potentiometers ¿? was created by Solmer
Hi, the most I use Deviationtx the most I love it ! but....Could be possible to add pots to the 7e?

Thanks !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2014 21:23 #21269 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Devo 7e potentiometers ¿?
Adding a potentiometer tothe Devo7e would be tricky. I don't recall if there is a free Analog pin (someone did an analysis a while ago, but I forgot the results), but even if there is, you'd need to solder directly to the STM32 chip, which is not an easy feat for many folks.

More
07 Mar 2014 19:31 #21354 by Solmer
Replied by Solmer on topic Devo 7e potentiometers ¿?
Hi PhracturedBlue, thanks for the info, I'll try to investigate a bit. I've good soldering skills even SMD, I remember when I changed the ATMEL of my old turnigy after a brick :)

Happy fly!

More
06 Apr 2016 07:39 #45897 by ursus69
Replied by ursus69 on topic Devo 7e potentiometers ¿?
Sorry, for restart the topic :p

It's possible to add pots to Devo7e?? (no problem with soldering skills..)
Only soldering, or need something more?

Thanks!!

More
06 Apr 2016 08:16 #45899 by TheSFReader
Replied by TheSFReader on topic Devo 7e potentiometers ¿?
Not sure about adding pots **directly** on the devi7e, but if you don't need the PPM input/output, there is an easy way to add many (including analog) channels inputs via the PPM, www.deviationtx.com/forum/7-development/...vo-tx-s?limitstart=0

That solution uses an external arduino , which translates its inputs to PPM encoded values, and feed them to the Devo via tha "audio" port. The Devo can then use these channels in its mixers, and forward them as needed in its transmitted channels.

More
06 Apr 2016 08:31 #45901 by ursus69
Thanks!
There is no other way without arduino??

More
06 Apr 2016 08:47 - 06 Apr 2016 08:58 #45902 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic Devo 7e potentiometers ¿?
Phractured blue did it, there seem to be quite some free pins unconnected on the CPU. He connected two pots direct to the ARM.
www.deviationtx.com/forum/6-general-disc...evo7e?start=40#34661

Myself I also interfaced the 3 extra Tx modules, TCK/TMS and one straight to the free pin ARM, without using the seperate multimod board. It would be great if the extra pots modification can be taken into the nightly for 7e, and for sure I will add them to my tx. Mabye if there are more unused free pins we could even add more switches pots to 7e?

Soldering to the small pins is bit of nifty, but certainly doable.
Last edit: 06 Apr 2016 08:58 by Fernandez.

More
06 Apr 2016 10:03 #45905 by ursus69

Fernandez wrote: Phractured blue did it, there seem to be quite some free pins unconnected on the CPU. He connected two pots direct to the ARM.
www.deviationtx.com/forum/6-general-disc...evo7e?start=40#34661

But, PhracturedBlue replaced the MCU, right??
With the stock Devo7e is posible?

I need a newbie instalation guide.... :lol:

More
07 Apr 2016 11:58 - 07 Apr 2016 12:00 #46015 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic Devo 7e potentiometers ¿?
I am not sure, I beleive the MCU still has unused I/O pins were we can connect stuff? But there are not that easy accesible, no traces on the pcb.

The replacment MCU, I beleive it is a pin and IO compatible version, but it is selectected just because has more RAM memory inside, as it is the bottleneck for the 7e it cannot have more code added, almost all Memory is now in use with currently nightly........

I do not know if wiring pots switches to the MCU, needs lots of code to get them supported..................
Last edit: 07 Apr 2016 12:00 by Fernandez.

More
07 Apr 2016 16:04 #46040 by ursus69
Thanks for the info Fernandez!

More
07 Apr 2016 18:20 #46046 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic Devo 7e potentiometers ¿?
Mainly for more flash ROM, not RAM. Devo 7E original chip has only 128K which is not enough for Deviation.

PhracturedBlue had a topic here on this forum "Ultimate Devo 7E" where he described all his mods - 256K MCU, couple of POTs added, switches, new firmware for all of this.

More
07 Apr 2016 18:26 #46048 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Devo 7e potentiometers ¿?
Actually, it's more ROM that's the real issue. While the 7E has RAM issues, those come from running protocol code in RAM. The newer CPU has more RAM as well, but it's not quite as important.

One of the things on the Todo list is to move the information about switches, buttons, pins & etc. out of the code and into hardware.ini, specifically to support changing input types and adding them for people who want to hack the hardware. With luck, it would reduce the memory footprint on the 7E as well because it would no longer need extra code for adding switches. But right now, I wouldn't hold your breath for it.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
07 Apr 2016 18:40 #46052 by ursus69
With the stock devo7e it's possible to add the pots? Or it's necessary change the MCU?
It's finally working well??

If someone has time.... a tutorial/how to install pots will be amazing for newbies like me... :lol:

More
07 Apr 2016 21:17 #46069 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Devo 7e potentiometers ¿?
While you may not have to replace the mcu, you'll still have to solder to the mcu pins in order to connect the pot (singular - I believe there's one unused analog pin). And you'll have to write the code to support it, which isn't hard, but you then have to figure out how to get the resulting code to fit on the thing.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
07 Apr 2016 21:41 #46072 by ursus69
The other method is with arduino?

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds