devo 10 battery too low

More
17 Aug 2014 21:54 #25251 by dirtslow
devo 10 battery too low was created by dirtslow
Hi all,

Sorry for a long winded first post...

I have been lurking here for a long while now. I have had my devo 10 for over 1 year and is working well flying all mine dsm stuff without issue.

I am running 4.01 firmware.

I have done a couple of mods the last 2 weeks -- it was stock hardware wise prior.

1) Instead of the 8 cell AA holder, I built 6 cells from enloops. I have set my low voltage alarm to 6.6 volts.

2) yesterday, I finally got the balls to add the NFR24L01 module. I read the pin out wrong the first time and reversed the soldering points... after some fiddling, I realized my mistake and resolder the points that were incorrect (just the part under the RF socket -- the 3 wires). I was able to bind to my v202 after.

So, my current issue is that today, I start to get "battery too low, can't save" message every time I turn on the TX.

The voltage read out from TX from my 6 enloop cell pack is ~7.45V which is greater than the 6.6V I had set.

Does anyone know if adding module will cause this or did I foobared something while adding the module? I am not the best solderer... but I had many practice and the joins actually look fairly nice IMHO.

I have done some flying after the 6 cell AA mod since I also got a ncpx around the same time so I know I did not experience this right after going to 6 cells.

I did lots of searches but can't seem to find topic to this.

any help appreciated.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2014 04:28 #25255 by Arakon
Replied by Arakon on topic devo 10 battery too low
I doubt the alarm has anything to do with the voltage measurement on powerup. Did you try using 8 cells and see if you still get the message? You may simply be putting too low a voltage into the TX.

More
18 Aug 2014 15:02 #25261 by dirtslow
Replied by dirtslow on topic devo 10 battery too low
Thank you for your feedback. Let me answer the question before I forget... using the original 8 cell AA rechargeable, the message does go away. I put TX on charge last night; I just checked, the 6 cell settled at 8.35V and I am also not getting the battery low message.

I was under the impression since I am using deviation, the "low battery" is controlled via software. I could never find a definitive minimum operating voltage for devo 10 and was hoping I can save some weight by going 6 cell. I see other devos like the 8 and the 12 can run at much lower voltage and was hoping the 10 can do the same.

I don't understand how can hardware trigger low battery message when the software is set to check against 6.6V. I figure the TX will just turn off if not enough voltage is supplied.

I will run this pack down to 7.5V or so and check... looks like there is hard coded check against 7.5V in my situation.

thanks

More
18 Aug 2014 15:31 #25262 by aMax
Replied by aMax on topic devo 10 battery too low
Eight empty NiMH cells are...8V. If it is controlled by hardware, you will have no chance to go further down , you only waste possible operating time.

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02

More
18 Aug 2014 15:31 - 18 Aug 2014 15:34 #25263 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic devo 10 battery too low
Change at your 'tx.ini' file 'batt_critical=xxxx' to 'batt_critical=5700', but check if your tx can save settings with 5.7V power.
Last edit: 18 Aug 2014 15:34 by vlad_vy.

More
18 Aug 2014 17:22 #25264 by dirtslow
Replied by dirtslow on topic devo 10 battery too low
Thank you everyone for your insights. vlad_vy hit the nail on the head. I read a few posts regarding "batt_critical" on the 7e but was never able to find it on the 10 menu... I figured it must be a 7e thing. Thank you vlad_vy for pointing out the tx.ini file.

I just checked, it is indeed set at 7500... That's why I see the message when the TX batt is down to 7.45V even though the alarm is set at 6600. I will updated to 6000 just to give me some headroom. As is, the TX reading is .2V off compared to my meter so 6000 is actually 6200 on the battery.

I just checked with a fairly dead 2S LIPO that is registering @6.9V and I was able to make changes and it saved on power off.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Time to create page: 0.032 seconds