Trim switch - Momentary switch

More
02 Oct 2014 01:54 #25908 by George_Baker
Trim switch - Momentary switch was created by George_Baker
Hi,
This is my first post so first I want to thank everyone who has worked miracles creating deviation firmware for the DEVO radios. Absolutely awesome! Thank You!

I’m using the latest official release of deviation on a DEVO 12s. I’ve set up many models and never had a single problem with deviation or the radio. I only use the advanced GUI.

I’m now planning on buying a Spirit Systems gyro with bailout and so I’m setting up my Phoenix sim profile with a bailout on channel 5 using the TRIMRH+ trim switch as a momentary switch. I’ve read the deviation manual many many times and read this post:

www.deviationtx.com/forum/3-feedback-que...-buttons-as-switches

which describes how to configure the trim switches for a momentary switch. I can’t get the virtual channel to receive the input from the trim switch. The bar graph (on the virtual channel mixer) does not respond and when I mix the virtual channel into a real channel I just get a 100% signal (on the real channel) no matter what.

If I set the trim configuration directly to a real channel then I get a response from the switch but the whole channel is offset -100.

I’m pretty sure I can make it work with some finagling but what am I missing that I can’t get the trim configuration to work with a virtual channel?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2014 22:10 #25929 by George_Baker
Replied by George_Baker on topic Trim switch - Momentary switch
OK, I have it sorted out. I set it up again and now it’s working as advertised. Without going into a big story I wasn’t seeing everything I thought I should see but it works without issues and that’s all that matters. Yay! That’s what happens when I try to do complex tasks when overly fatigued.

Again I want to sing praises to the people who’ve made deviation possible. My opinion is a DEVO TX with deviation is better than any other brand stock TX. I love the control!!! It’s so great being able to shape the TX OS any way you want.

To be honest; and please don’t laugh; OK it’s OK to laugh if you want… but my favorite feature of the deviation TX is the permanent timers for each model. I think it’s great to be able to keep track of total time on each model. If it weren’t for that feature alone I probably would have ended up with a JR transmitter. I was looking for top quality and reliability above all else but decided to take a chance on the 12s because of the ability to use deviation to set up timers and anything else a guy could want. The 12s has not disappointed. Much better hardware quality than the DX6i that I used before.

Just a suggestion. On the “which transmitter should I buy” page where it starts out saying the 12s is a “beast” of a radio. That almost scared me away because I thought it was going to be this “ginormous” radio that would look like a boom box or something! In fact the 12s is only a little bigger than my DX6i. So maybe a clarification that “beast” refers to ability, not size!

Thanks again to everybody, cheers

More
10 Oct 2014 10:01 #26025 by Indigo
Replied by Indigo on topic Trim switch - Momentary switch
I've been seeing the same problem you describe.

When setup on a previously unused virtual channel it appears to work ok but it doesn't really. Mapped as simple 1-to-1 to an unused channel so I can see the output; I see it switch between -100 and 100.
Same result for Momentary, Toggle and ON/OFF
If I leave it in the ON state and change the trim type to Momentary it remains ON, but corrects itself when next used.

However when I went back to the mix for the virtual channel I see:
Src = AIL
Curve = EXPO 0
Scale = 100
Trim

When I correct back to what it was:
Src = Virt10
Curve = 1-to-1
Scale = 0
Trim

I then see the output switch between -200 and 200. To correct the output value, I have to change 'Trim' to 'No Trim' but then it no longer works as a switch. For example: A Toggle placed on the Main page config will only display if 'Trim' is left enabled.

I've reported it as a new issue.

More
21 Oct 2014 05:34 - 21 Oct 2014 05:35 #26121 by Indigo
Replied by Indigo on topic Trim switch - Momentary switch
OK, I have it sorted out. The configured trim switch effects the TRIM of the selected channel, not the channels VALUE. The channels output = value + trim
Whether channel is real or virtual, makes no difference.

If all you want from your virtual switch is an output of -100 or 100, then only set the Trim setting. The channels value will not change (will always be zero) but the channels output will according to its trim value of -100 or 100.

The 2nd step in the manual; the Mixer part is only required if the channels value also needs to be changed. One reason you would do this would be to enable using the channel as a switch. The mixer replaces the channels value with its Trim value. The reason Scale is set to 0 is to exclude (ignore) the channels existing value.

BTW. The mixer is a good example of how to read a channels Trim value.
Last edit: 21 Oct 2014 05:35 by Indigo.

Time to create page: 0.034 seconds