Connecting Arduino to Devo 7e with Deviation firmw

More
04 Dec 2014 11:36 #26759 by jub
Hi,
Had anyone managed to connect an Arduino to the Devo 7e remote with Deviation firmware on it?
I am trying to control the Devo 7e from my PC using an Arduino (The Arduino is connected to the Devo 7e using a mono cable plugged in the DSC port), but it doesn't seem to work, i can't find a mode in which the remote is controlled by the Arduino and not manually.

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Dec 2014 12:34 #26760 by FDR
You need to setup the trainer mode for that with the "PPM In" options...

More
04 Dec 2014 12:41 #26761 by aMax
Select "extended" for PPM IN and setup the signal according to ArduinosĀ“s
output signal.

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02

More
10 Dec 2014 17:42 #26873 by Adrian
Hi,

I'm trying to hook up an Arduino mega with my Devo F7.

The Remote Control came with my Walkera x350 Pro and I don't know which Firmware is on it. I'm pretty new to all of this, so sorry for stupid questions ;-)

The ultimate goal is that I can control the Quadrocopter from my Computer. I would built up a Serial Connection to my Arduino transmitting the desired values for Throttle, Pitch, Roll and Yaw. The Arduino shall be hooked up with the Devo F7 using the Trainer Function. So the RC should think my Arduino is the trainer's RC.

I would need information on how the communication between the two RCs usually works, so I can simulate it. Which protocol is used? PWM?

Is that possible? Anyone an idea? Any help is greatly appreciated! Let me know if I missed important information.

Cheers,
Adrian

More
10 Dec 2014 18:06 #26874 by camousse
Why do you want to do this ? [control a quadcopter with a computer]
You will need a program on your computer...

If you want to control your quadcopter with a joystick, i already do that, but with an old joystick (with MIDI port) that i dissamble, plug joystick potentiometer to arduino analog port, and generate a PPM signal. Much more usable on the field...

But the protocol used by DSC port in trainer mod is PPM (read there skymixer.net/electronics/84-rc-receivers/78-rc-ppm-signal the "signal ppm frame" on diagram

More
10 Dec 2014 20:36 - 10 Dec 2014 20:38 #26876 by Adrian
Hello camousse,

thanks for your quick answer.
The reason I wanna do that is: I want the Quadrocopter to hover above a specific point. It captures the point with it's downfacing camera, OpenCV pattern recognition then finds the point and computes commands to correct the position. All of that is already working. I just need to get the Copter to follow these commands.

So I have a C++ program running on my computer. I can establish a Serial connection over USB or Bluetooth to an Arduino that could produce a PWM signal. Not sure about PPM, but I guess it's possible. I guess you know how to do that? How did you input the commands from the Arduino to the Quadrocopter?

How does the PPM signal have to look like that comes into the DSC port?

Do you have any other ideas?

(Originally I wanted to have the Arduino on board and generate PWM signals for the main controller, but on the x350 the main controller also wants all channels in one PPM / PWM signal)
Last edit: 10 Dec 2014 20:38 by Adrian.

More
12 Dec 2014 20:12 #26921 by mwm
I'm not really familiar with the F7, but it can't run the deviation firmware, so you'll have to take another route. And it may not be possible.

What you need to do is set up your Tx in master mode for a buddy-box setup. In normal use, you run a cable between two transmitters, and the master flies the aircraft, and can either listen to the slave or control it itself. The cable for the Devo 6/7E/8/10/12 is a mono audio cable with a mini plug, but other Tx's do use other connectors.

The data on the cable is PPM/PWM, packetized based on the number of channels you're using. You can look at the deviation source code for the PPM output protocol to see how what that is.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
13 Dec 2014 11:40 #26925 by camousse
Hi,
I didn't see your message. My main pc have some trouble, and i cannot access to my source :-(
So look there code.google.com/p/generate-ppm-signal/downloads/list

More
14 Dec 2014 15:47 #26971 by jub
Hi,

I tried the 3 options in "PPM IN" (channel, stick, extend), none of them seem to work (as if the Devo isn't getting any input signals from the Arduino).
Inside the channel/stick options there options called "Trainer SW" and "PPM1" "PPM2" ..."PPM8", any idea what should i set them to?

Thanks!

More
14 Dec 2014 17:44 #26974 by camousse
I'm not an expert with Devo (i usually use opentx)...
If you configure it as trainer, you just need to send via the ppm the 4 channels aileron,elevator,throttle,rudder , pilot your model with the radio, and when you activate the trainer switch the pc will control it. This means if there is some mixage, the devo will compute them (not eh comptuer).
So : PPM IN in stick mode, select a switch for trainer. PPMx is used to set the order of channel in the ppm signal, when you can't change it in the ppm generator (in the normal case, another transmitter). Leave the original order and make your ppm generator generate in that order
What you can do to test :
- found anotehr radio, and test your devo configuration
- monitor the signal you generate with the arduino with an oscilloscope or a logic analyzer

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds