nightly build help

More
15 Jan 2015 19:23 #27715 by griff83
nightly build help was created by griff83
Hi i recently flashed my 7e with deviation and i must say i think its great very easy menu but i have a question i want to flash the latest nightly build so i can fly my x11 but have no idea how to do it. do i just delete the dfu. file and replace it with the nightly one ?> could someone please assist me i will very much appreciate it

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2015 20:45 #27718 by Arakon
Replied by Arakon on topic nightly build help
You flash the nightly DFU file just like you did before when you installed it. Then you go to USB mode and copy over the filesystem (backup any models and settings beforehand).

More
16 Jan 2015 19:35 #27744 by griff83
Replied by griff83 on topic nightly build help
so would this be right
put 7e into dfu mode
flash nightly dfu with walkera software
put 7e into usb mode
copy the nightly dfu and protocol folder then copy everything from v4.0.1 apart from original dfu and protocol?

if this seems strange its because when i download nightly build it only has dfu and protocol

More
16 Jan 2015 20:11 - 16 Jan 2015 20:13 #27745 by aMax
Replied by aMax on topic nightly build help

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02
Last edit: 16 Jan 2015 20:13 by aMax.

More
16 Jan 2015 20:57 #27746 by griff83
Ok i think i see now i use this one instead of the v4.0.1

But was everything else fine ?

More
16 Jan 2015 21:48 #27747 by aMax
..all but the dfu file to the drive............
This one you have already "upgraded" with the walkera software to the firmware section......... :whistle:

More
18 Jan 2015 13:34 #27800 by griff83
So is the walkera defuse just used to get deviation onto the tx for the first time and after that its just use whichever deviation you like. ?

More
18 Jan 2015 14:04 - 18 Jan 2015 14:09 #27803 by aMax
No.
The walkera software has always to be used to get the dfu file onto the tx.
This is the firmware you "flash", the remaining parts are the filesystem you "copy" to the flash drive.

Last edit: 18 Jan 2015 14:09 by aMax.

More
18 Jan 2015 16:37 #27814 by Daryoon
Replied by Daryoon on topic nightly build help
Yes, Installing the Deviation firmware. (Either for the first time. Or when upgrading to a new firmware release.)

It's a two step process.

Step 1. Using the Dfuse application to Flash the firmware dfu file to the radio.

Step 2. Copy the updated file system over to the radio.

It's a simple affair once you're used to it. Some people in the past thinks that simply copying the new firmware file system over "upgrades" Deviation to the latest. This is not true. You had to flash the new firmware DFU. Then copy over the File System. It's Always a two step affair if you want it done right.

More
18 Jan 2015 17:43 #27817 by griff83
The thing confusing me is that on the latest nightly the download only contains the dfu file and a protocol folder the rest are missing

More
18 Jan 2015 17:50 - 18 Jan 2015 17:51 #27818 by aMax

griff83 wrote: The thing confusing me is that on the latest nightly the download only contains the dfu file and a protocol folder the rest are missing

Are you joking?
For what reason did I give you the link to the latest complete nightly?

Last edit: 18 Jan 2015 17:51 by aMax.

More
18 Jan 2015 18:03 #27819 by aMax
The builds from hexfet and mwm are not intended for the first complete installation.

More
18 Jan 2015 18:19 - 18 Jan 2015 18:22 #27821 by TomPeer
Replied by TomPeer on topic nightly build help
Then comes the next question:
After i installed the nightly from august 2014, and i want to instal a newer one from january 2015, is it enough to do the DFuse part. Sinds there are no files to copy.
I guess there is no need.
And what does griff83 meens with: protocol folder?
Last edit: 18 Jan 2015 18:22 by TomPeer.

More
18 Jan 2015 20:35 #27825 by griff83
So it seems i dont fully understand and to stop getting people mad with my noob questions im going to give things ago and see what happens its ok i too would get mad with questions that probibly seem easy to you.

Just to try to explain a bit more here goes

I understand how to flash the nightly build from August but i saw a link to a build from the 9th jan i think and when i downloaded it it only contained a dfu file and a folder with a list of protocols in it unlike the August nightly which contains many more files.

Ill get to grips with it soon and hopefully can start to contribute to the forums

More
18 Jan 2015 21:25 - 18 Jan 2015 21:51 #27826 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic nightly build help

griff83 wrote: The thing confusing me is that on the latest nightly the download only contains the dfu file and a protocol folder the rest are missing

Nightly builds are intended for experienced users - they undergo no testing beyond that required before checkin, and are snapshots of whatever was in the repository when the build ran. The august ones from PBR have been in use for a while and are probably trustworthy, but I'd be careful with anything after that.

Anyway, you need to download two files. The deviation-devo##-v4.0.1-XXXXXXX.zip is as you noticed just the software. You should also get deviation-fs-devo##-v4.0.1-XXXXXXX.zip, which is the file system. The two XXXXXXX strings must match. The ## should also match, except the devo6 uses the devo6 uses the devo8 file system.

It sounds like some people are going from the official nightlies to more recent ones without updating the file system. To reassure them, this is safe with the builds I know about because I don't know of any changes to the file system. However, this is not recommended, and you will not be warned if the file system changes.

UPDATE: Upon investigating, I found that how release is zipped up is a Makefile option. I've changed my nightly build scripts to do them the way PBR does. The next build will have the FS in the zip file with the software. So when downloading, you need to look for the appropriate fs zip file, and download it if it's there.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.
Last edit: 18 Jan 2015 21:51 by mwm.

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds