Devo10 - Spektrum Receiver - HELP

More
12 Mar 2015 13:39 #29594 by 0Gravity
Devo10 - Spektrum Receiver - HELP was created by 0Gravity
Hello, I received a new Devo10 transmitter a few days ago. I had been reading about the Deviation firmware and the protocol interoperability which is why I purchased this transmitter. After receiving the transmitter, I proceeded to install the Deviation firmware following the Devo10 user manual, and the 4.01 firmware installed fine without any issues.

I then proceeded to bind the transmitter to a Spektrum ar636a receiver using the DSMX protocol, and the bind procedure seemed to also complete successfully. However; although all of the control surfaces respond accordingly the motor will not throttle up or even respond to throttle inputs. The throttle movement does seem to increase/decrease gain according to the channel/input monitor but no response from the motor.

I have tried re-binding using DSM2 which is also successful, but with the same result on the throttle input. I have tried toggling throttle hold, Manually configuring the model config file, and some other potential solutions I read on the forum, but to no avail. The motor/ESC perform normally using a DX5E transmitter.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance. My setup is included below.

MODEL = Fixed Wing
TX = Devo10
Firmware = Deviation - 4.0.1
RX = Spektrum AR636A
ESC = Eflite 30AMP Pro Switched Brushless (BEC)
PROTOCOL = DSMX
MODE = 2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2015 15:22 - 12 Mar 2015 15:25 #29598 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic Devo10 - Spektrum Receiver - HELP
After protocol change channels mapping do not change autonmatically. Default channells mapping is Devo - EATR. For DSM protocol channels mappins is - TAER.

Go to 'Mixer' page and for every first 4 channels change 'Src' to DSM order. Ch1 = THR, Ch2 = AIL, Ch3 = ELE and CH4 = RUD.
Last edit: 12 Mar 2015 15:25 by vlad_vy.

More
12 Mar 2015 16:29 #29604 by 0Gravity
Replied by 0Gravity on topic Devo10 - Spektrum Receiver - HELP
I bound the receiver using DSM2, then set the source on the first 4 inputs Throttle, Aileron, Elevon, and Rudder as you recommended, but still no joy.

All control surfaces move, but nothing doing on the throttle.

Thanks,

More
12 Mar 2015 16:44 - 12 Mar 2015 16:53 #29605 by vlad_vy
Probably your ESC is not calibrated to Tx output. Read ESC manual to calibrate ESC throtttle range (Programming Menu 4 – Throttle Input Range).
Last edit: 12 Mar 2015 16:53 by vlad_vy.

More
12 Mar 2015 16:52 #29606 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic Devo10 - Spektrum Receiver - HELP
If you connect the receiver's throttle output to a servo, does moving the throttle stick cause the servo to move?

More
12 Mar 2015 20:14 #29613 by 0Gravity
I bound the Tx and RX once more using DSMX, and then I moved the ESC to channel 3 and the elevator to channel 1.(Both physically on the receiver and logically in the transmitter by sourcing channel 1 to elevator and channel 3 to throttle.) With this configuration in place...the Motor would arm, but no elevator. So, then I started mucking around with the safety settings on channel 1 and channel 3. Finally the elevator control surfaces started moving erratically then settled down and started responding to the correct stick movements.

It's sort of working I guess, but this configuration seems a little suspect to me and I don't know if I would feel comfortable flying with this setup.

If anyone has any feedback on this configuration, please advise.

Thanks to all for your input.

More
12 Mar 2015 20:46 #29614 by aMax
Replied by aMax on topic Devo10 - Spektrum Receiver - HELP
Although Deviation swaps the channels at the mixer for DMS2/X, the pulse for throttle stays at channel three.
Please follow vlad_vy´s post.

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02

More
13 Mar 2015 05:02 - 13 Mar 2015 05:11 #29626 by vlad_vy
Something wrong with your setup or hardware. Try to reset current model configuration or load the new model config, then change protocol to DMSX, change channels mapping to TAER, then check channels at 'Channel Monitor'. If all moving correctly, try bind to Rx and check all channels movement with servo.

Also, try to recalibrate sticks and pots.
Last edit: 13 Mar 2015 05:11 by vlad_vy.

More
13 Mar 2015 14:07 #29642 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic Devo10 - Spektrum Receiver - HELP

aMax wrote: Although Deviation swaps the channels at the mixer for DMS2/X, the pulse for throttle stays at channel three.

What do you mean by "pulse" aMax?
Do you mean the INPUT Throttle-Stick stays mapped to channel three?

Once THR is selected as input in Mixer for Throttle, it worked so far for me with different rx.

Maybe you need to put the trim down for ESC arming?
Have you tried any other Spektrum RX and ESCs?

More
13 Mar 2015 15:04 #29648 by 0Gravity
My last post indicated that I "sort of" had it working with this config:

Rx - Channel1=Elevator Servo
Rx Channel3=ESC
Tx - Channel1(Throttle) Src=Channel3
Tx - Channel3(Elevator) Src=Channel1.

However; after disconnecting the battery from the receiver, restarting the transmitter, and then bringing the receiver back online...the inputs behaved exactly as they had previously using DSMX, e.g.,No response on Rx Channel1. It didn't matter if I put a servo or ESC on the channel...neither would respond to stick movements.

Although disabling the safety feature produced no improvement to the symptoms, I realized that by adjusting the Safe ranges, I would start to see a response in the servo. First erratic, then eventually settling down and responding normally, so I continued testing the ranges to see at what point the servo on channel1 started responding. Once I determined what I thought that number to be, I moved the elevator servo and the ESC back to their normal physical channels on the receiver, e.g.,(Channel1=ESC, Channel3=Elevator Servo) and corrected the stick input configs on the Tx, e.g.(Channel1(Throttle) Src=THR, Channel3(Elevator) Src=ELE). I then proceeded to set the "Safety" mode on the Tx Throttle Mixer to Throttle, changed the default "Safe Range" from -100 to -120, then brought the receiver back online. Everything seems to be working as expected now with no noticeable ill behavior.

Sorry it's so long winded, but hopefully there's enough information to help anyone who might run into a similar issue in the future.

Thanks to everyone who offered recommendations and hats off to the person/s who developed this firmware.

Regards,

More
13 Mar 2015 17:16 - 13 Mar 2015 17:17 #29652 by aMax
Replied by aMax on topic Devo10 - Spektrum Receiver - HELP

Thomas.Heiss wrote:

aMax wrote: Although Deviation swaps the channels at the mixer for DMS2/X, the pulse for throttle stays at channel three.

What do you mean by "pulse" aMax?
Do you mean the INPUT Throttle-Stick stays mapped to channel three?

Yes that´s right, ...sorry, forgot to mention, with (C)PPM output ...(had the
rx at the quad first and then attached some servos...)

At rx ports, it´s ok and works as described, at least with my two DSMX clones, Orange RX615x and Storm S603.

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02
Last edit: 13 Mar 2015 17:17 by aMax.

More
24 Dec 2015 07:04 #41114 by billmester
Replied by billmester on topic Devo10 - Spektrum Receiver - HELP
Hello,
I just ran into the exactly same problem with my parkzone su-29 / AR636a. It was fine originally, but while setting up servo ranges, suddenly it will not arm the esc.
Could You please explain step by step what have You done to make it work again?
I have a D10 with 4.01

Thanks
bm

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds