4 modules in Devo 7E, MultiModule or switch ?

More
01 May 2015 19:31 - 01 May 2015 19:31 #31903 by blackmoon
My devo7E is running a nightly build from last year, pretty happy with that (even tough I have to check some ramdom crashes with dsm2 in micro quads). I really like the 7E form factor (modules DEVO, CC2500, NRF2401). Last time (long time ago) I tried the MultiModule to have 4 modules in my devo7E it wasn't working.
On my Devo10, I only have 2 modules don't need more (devo + A7105), but I would like to get rid of the A7105 in it, because switching between my devo10 and devo7E to fly all my models is getting old, the 7E being the only TX I want to use with my micro models.

So, is anyone flying with a Devo7E and MultiModule installed with four modules, on the latest nightlies ?

If it still not working, will a switch for the fourth module work ?

I'm I right in guessing that with the way the nightlies are the TX will complain every time about one missing module?

Thank you.
Last edit: 01 May 2015 19:31 by blackmoon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2015 23:04 - 02 May 2015 09:32 #31906 by aMax
For two modules that I use less often, I would use a switch ( select lines) and let them share the same point at the Devo pcb.
All I would have to do is to edit the hardware.ini before switching.
But if you carry a bunch of different models ( protocols) with you, .....you are caught......a device to connect to your devo flash drive would help in that case.... ;)

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02
Last edit: 02 May 2015 09:32 by aMax. Reason: ..spelling

More
02 May 2015 00:28 #31908 by blackmoon
Replied by blackmoon on topic 4 modules in Devo 7E, MultiModule or switch ?
Guess I have to switch the A7105 to the 7E and the CC2500 to the Devo10 as I have more models that use the flysky protocol than ones that use the skyartec or FrSky. Because having to edit/replace the hardware.ini each time would become really annoying very fast.

Nevertheless, what I would like to know is if the non working state on the 7E was ever investigated.

Thank you for the reply aMax.

More
03 May 2015 20:20 #32016 by turpo
Hi, I wish to report that the multimodule is working fine with 7e. Devo builtin module, 3 additional, wired streight to a ATTINY24A-SSU and 7e mainboard. I used separate 3.3v regulator to feed 3 modules.

More
03 May 2015 22:26 - 03 May 2015 22:28 #32022 by blackmoon
Turpo this is really good news.

Can you please tell me which version of deviation you are using ?

Maybe the issue when I tested was indeed the internal regulator not being able to feed the modules enough juice.
Last edit: 03 May 2015 22:28 by blackmoon.

More
04 May 2015 19:18 #32076 by turpo
If I remember correctly, there was a software fix several months ago to fix some floating pin issue (I may be wrong, but it was in this forum) with mm. It seem now fixed in the nightly builds, as I used the most recent one (about a week ago). Prior to the fix, I also had error messages. External regulator is for safety, so to not overload builtin regulator, which could lead to unexpected trouble at some point, but I have not measured the power consumption.

I wired a ATTINY24A-SSU SOIC14 (preprogrammed the .hex as I had the programmer) to the 3 modules and 7e pcb, with just wires, so to fit all inside 7e case (also I had a different nrf24 module). If you have the mm pcb, easier to use it I think. My build look quite messy. The regulator I connected to 7e pcb, just after the "power switch transistor" (marked 1F9K), so to not need a separate switch.

Tested binding ok dsm2, flysky, v202, frsky v8r4-2 (VD5M had range only 30cm, but problem may not be related to multimodule).

More
09 May 2015 00:13 #32271 by blackmoon
Turpo I'm sorry that I haven't replied earlier but was sick as a dog, thank you for the heads up, It's been a long time since I checked this site, admittedly I missed the post on the fix for the MM. I'm still using a quite old nightly, it's time to upgrade.

As for fitting the three additional module on the 7E I had the same issue, I had to separate them because it wouldn't fit when they all were soldered to the MM (if someone did it, pictures would be appreciated). I'll be using the MM board just to carry the Attiny and will scatter my modules around.

Thanks again mate, if I pull it right, I'll be owing you a beer :D

More
09 May 2015 20:07 #32309 by turpo
No prob. mate, hope you'll got it working. I will gladly help if I can, just ask.

More
10 May 2015 03:46 #32326 by blackmoon
Nop no joy! I'll open another post, for help, maybe more people will chime in. I got the response I wanted.

More
14 Aug 2015 14:49 - 14 Aug 2015 14:50 #36881 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic 4 modules in Devo 7E, MultiModule with Arduino ?
Hi guys I also need to put the 4th module to my devo 7e.....
As I do not have the MM board with the attiny24, but several arduino nano's, I was wondering if someone has used Arduino for MM and if possible to share the details?

Another question, as there are 2 more free unused pins on the ARM chip in the DEVO 7e, wouldnt it be theretically possible to connect the all three added modules without need for multimodule board?
Last edit: 14 Aug 2015 14:50 by Fernandez.

More
15 Aug 2015 01:43 #36899 by mwm
Having modules in your hardware.ini file that aren't enabled doesn't work very well, and may cause modules that are actually there to not be recognized. Yeah, this is a bug, but it's very low priority because it's only a problem if your hardware isn't working right anyway. Unless you want to use a switch to disable a module, that is. This means you probably have to edit the hardware.ini file as well as use the switch.

I know there are some unused input options on the chip. If the ones you're talking about can be used for output, then yeah, you ought to be able to add extra modules that way. The firmware might even support that as is, as the value for the _enable options in hardware.ini encode the GPIO pin info.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
15 Aug 2015 02:06 #36901 by skretchmer
Replied by skretchmer on topic 4 modules in Devo 7E, MultiModule or switch ?
Turpo-

would you be able to post some photos of your MM in a 7e? I have been trying for weeks to build one, and no matter what I try I get modue missing, multi modue as soon as I have the ATTiny chip in the MM 1.3 board installed in my 7e, even with no modules.

I'm using an ATTiny24A-PU and have tried programming both with the 7e itself, and a USB programmer. I can get any module, or pair of modules working in my 7e without the MM board, but as soon as I try to add in the MM board, I have problems.

With the board and the ATTiny chip alone connected to my 7e it either tells me the MM is not found (if I un-comment the MM line in hardware.ini) If I remove the ATTiny chip and comment out the line, the radio works fine.

You can see my thread looking for help if you look in recent topics for my "multimodule help" thread.

thanks

More
05 Sep 2015 15:18 - 05 Sep 2015 15:20 #37468 by davidwyl
Replied by davidwyl on topic 4 modules in Devo 7E, MultiModule or switch ?
Here is my multi module 1.3 setup... Soldered everything to the board with minimal gap between module... Fit into devo 7e nicely
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Sep 2015 15:20 by davidwyl.

More
05 Sep 2015 16:11 #37472 by skretchmer
Replied by skretchmer on topic 4 modules in Devo 7E, MultiModule or switch ?
what have you done for antenna placement?

More
05 Sep 2015 22:21 - 05 Sep 2015 22:22 #37482 by davidwyl
Replied by davidwyl on topic 4 modules in Devo 7E, MultiModule or switch ?
Here is my antennas setup.
3 antenna on the outside and cc2500 antenna I just leave it inside devo 7e.
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Sep 2015 22:22 by davidwyl.

Time to create page: 0.047 seconds