trying to upgrade a new devo 8s I just got

More
02 May 2015 01:25 - 02 May 2015 01:26 #31912 by Lt1z350
trying to follow the most current utube video and when a hook it up and try to download the .dfu it gives me a red message saying not the correct format. I tried the newest 4.0 and even 3.0 just to see if maybe it would work and nothing. I bought this devo 8s as a stand alone and not part of a package so maybe it is old maybe new so not sure if I need to do something to it first before any of this works? Ive tried to goggle the message and nothing comes up to help with it so figured time to ask some one. sucks that walkera is pulling all this off the site and not supporting such a great product.
Last edit: 02 May 2015 01:26 by Lt1z350.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2015 03:13 #31916 by Lt1z350
Replied by Lt1z350 on topic trying to upgrade a new devo 8s I just got
so no one has seen this message? big red letters right above the devo 8 message saying logged into it.

More
02 May 2015 03:34 #31917 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic trying to upgrade a new devo 8s I just got
what d you mean a red message?
can you take a screen cap?
I have no idea how to help you as I have no iea what steps you performed or what you are seeing.
This forum is generally not active enough that you can expect a response within 2hrs either

More
02 May 2015 09:56 #31927 by saidem
Replied by saidem on topic trying to upgrade a new devo 8s I just got
Hello,
I had this red message "This File Does not-have a correct format ..." because the .DFU-file was not unzipped. For information on the mine 4.0.1 version is 166KB. We need you to make sure it is well unzipped it may be the reason.

More
02 May 2015 13:04 #31940 by Lt1z350
I had saw a few mods were logged in at the time I posted it is why I asked again. Will put up a screen shot here in a second and double check that it was unzipped correctly. It looked to be as when down loaded it was one file then after unzipping I believe it showed a couple then picked from a list and that was the only .dfu file available. I will check the bites on the file to compare. Answer back shortly and thanks as transferring from rc truck racing to this more open hobby of flying for my area at least anyway.

More
02 May 2015 13:26 #31944 by Lt1z350
so made sure unzipped and says it is 109kb compressed then 156kb 31% ratio so maybe didnt open right? Getting info from the open page when I try to attach the file. While waiting for response will try to down load and unzip again see if changes. here is a screen snip of two screens. thanks

Attachments:

More
02 May 2015 13:33 #31946 by Lt1z350
here is one more shot of the open screen after the unzip where I go to choose which file to attach to send to the tx.
Attachments:

More
02 May 2015 13:49 #31948 by PhracturedBlue
you need to unzip the files before you install them.

More
02 May 2015 14:04 #31950 by Lt1z350
so downloaded the file and right click the zip file and hit extract all files and that is how I got to the dfu file so what am I missing on it? Sorry hadnt had to mess with this stuff in a long time so probably something stupid on my part but in the second screen shot where it gives me the option to choose the dfu file isnt it already unzipped from the main file when in that screen? hope I am making sense here sorry if confusing in explanation of it. thanks

More
02 May 2015 14:09 - 02 May 2015 14:12 #31951 by PhracturedBlue
that is fine, but you appear to have selected the zip file itself and not the directory you extracted it to.
when you press the '...' in Upgrade File, and select a dfu file, it should show you the filename instead of "*.dfu"

the little icon you see here indicates you are looking at the contents of a zip file and not an extracted directory
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 May 2015 14:12 by PhracturedBlue.

More
02 May 2015 14:14 #31952 by saidem
Replied by saidem on topic trying to upgrade a new devo 8s I just got
Yes, I think the files are not unzipped. Right-click in the folder and select Unzip.

More
02 May 2015 15:07 #31958 by Lt1z350
I got it thanks for help. Feel stupid for missing something so basic. I had to use my rar winzip standalone rather then the open right out of download for some reason then opened all to desktop to make it easy and now all set up on tx. Since have you for quick question now that i am setup what is the best way to go about setting this all up? Down load the manual for my 8s and read through it all or is there some other link or hints and tips I should check into? I am flying two v120d02s an older one that wouldnt hook to this tx and the new style that I could bind to no problems. the old one was with a 2601 tx that was a pain to use compared to the 8s and why I did this so could use that one and maybe some blade models and my other airplanes in the future. One tx for it all is so nice and all of you that work on this should be thanked regularly for doing this for the hobby. if you have a paypal support account I am willing to contribute to it to help keep this going. Thanks for the help so far and any other advice to send me down the right roads into taking full advantage of this now hacked tx.
Joe

More
02 May 2015 15:13 #31959 by PhracturedBlue
I definitely recommend reading the manual. Deviation is a very powerful interface, however, it is very different than most transmitters you'll run into.
You will need to know how to work with model files, calibrate the sticks, and choose the transmit protocols, all of which are covered in the manual.

You may feel more familiar with the 'Standard' interface which will look more like the stock Walkera interface. Instructions for switching are also in the manual.

You could search for your helis in the model thread and see if someone has pre-built ones. This is a good idea, but I don not recommend jumping to this step until you at least have a basic knowlege of how Deviation works.

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds