Backlight- config NO_DIMMER when sticks active

More
23 Jun 2015 10:04 #34553 by Thomas.Heiss
Hi,

Hexfet accidentially checked in a code (leave backlight on on stick move) into nightly-build (which is now deleted/fixed again) which I really like: www.deviationtx.com/forum/6-general-disc...01-only-solved#33592

Is there any way to make this more customizable in transmittler config (add a field for configuration).
- backlight on/off switch
- automatic on sticks
- automatic on switches
- automatic on sticks + switches

Is there any way to combine it with "Binding backlight on/off to a switch" feature request / pull request"?

I personally use:
- timer 1 countdown
- timer 2 countup
- timer 3 permanent

I am not the only one?
So any additional non-backlight dimmer (1-max 2min) timers should go after timer3?!?

Message excerpt:
I) "Backlight code change in 605829b

Do you mind explaining to me what this backlight thing is about?
You changed code in 605829b.

What if I would not like to turn off the backlight (5) while flying?
So that would be sticks input.

In the transmitter config I can see dimmer interval 2:00mins.

Tested backlight with "OFF" configuration and I can not even read the text in my room.
So neither will I be able to read the text (timers, voltages, DSM flightlog warnings) outside flying at the field or sun.

So how does it work after your code change that backlight is not turned off while flying?"

and

II) "The change I made in 605829b was to restore the existing behavior of the backlight. I think you understand that but want to be sure since you mentioned "new code".

I understand that having the sticks/switches reset the dimmer timer could be a desirable option for some users (including you I don't know how much work would be involved because I have not done any transmitter configuration code before.

I suggest you review this pull request and comments ( bitbucket.org/deviationtx/deviation/pull...ontrol-added-to/diff ), which go along with this forum thread ( deviationtx.com/forum/3-feedback-questio...ff-to-a-switch#27415 ). Then best to make a new thread in the forum for your suggestion and see if there's interest.

In the meantime you could make your own build with 605829b reverted
Dimmer time 02:00
Dimmer target OFF (or 1-2)

What happens is, that if I have the Devo in the field on, the backlight switches off after e.g 2 mins.
Great for saving power and between flights.

When I actively fly / move the sticks: The backlight does not turn off after e.g 2 mins.
I do really like this.

When I understand you correctly, the new code would turn off the backlight after the timer (OFF or 1-2), as switches + sticks do not reset the timer.
So when you fly outside, the display is going to switch off (during the 6:50-08:00 min flight).

I am not sure how the Spektrum DX8 did it.
I believe it used to turn off the backlight and you manualy had to press the clear button or use the roller (e.g main screen -> telemetry screen or 2nd telemetry screen).
I pretty much hated that.

You never know how ppl want it to their customization.

Would it be very much work to add a menu if sticks / switches / switches+sticks should reset the backlight timer (when you really want to have the backlight go OFF on idle)?"

I do not really want to have to press additional sticks in between flights just to activate the backlight dimmer or deactivate it while flying.

A possible workaround could be, to configure the "binding backlight to on/off switch" feature to throttle hold RUDD D/R or Gear (second safety switch).

What do you think about it?

Regards

Thomas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2016 01:18 #47522 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic Backlight- config NO_DIMMER when sticks active
Any news on backlight dimmer off on sticks move?
Did any functionality make it into rls 5.0?

Are there more users interested in an
- sticks move shuts off backlight dimmer
- backlight always on during flight (e.g button press or stick move)

Any way to maybe just bring a small subset of that functionality into next 5.0.x release if the change from other manual backlight dimmer control can not ever make it into nightly build?

Thomas

More
01 May 2016 03:50 #47529 by magic_marty
Replied by magic_marty on topic Backlight- config NO_DIMMER when sticks active
I would like to have the back light on a on/off switch cause when i fly at night the bright screen is a distraction so it would be nice to be able to switch it off..I know i can set the dimmer to shut the screen off but when i fly during day i want the screen to stay on... so i would have to change the settings every time i fly at day or night..

More
01 May 2016 14:22 - 01 May 2016 14:23 #47546 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Backlight- config NO_DIMMER when sticks active

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Any news on backlight dimmer off on sticks move?
Did any functionality make it into rls 5.0?

Are there more users interested in an
- sticks move shuts off backlight dimmer
- backlight always on during flight (e.g button press or stick move)

Any way to maybe just bring a small subset of that functionality into next 5.0.x release if the change from other manual backlight dimmer control can not ever make it into nightly build?

Thomas

It's odd [to me] you want the backlight ON during flight. I'm actually the one who filed the bug report when it got changed to stay on, personally that annoys the crap out of me!
I'm not at all saying your preference is wrong, we're all free to like what we like but I really hope that leaving the light in w/ stick input will be a user configurable option because I would HATE if it operated like that.

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/
Last edit: 01 May 2016 14:23 by Cereal_Killer.

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds