Just got my 7e, few simple questions

More
14 Jul 2015 06:51 - 14 Jul 2015 07:06 #35430 by blackjackel
Just got my 7e, few simple questions was created by blackjackel
I bought a 7e and i plan on modding it for my syma x5c, apparently I need a nRF24L01+ to get it to work with the x5c, my questions are:

My questions are numbered for easy reference and response.

1- If i need the nRF24L01+ to fly my X5c, I'm guessing that this module will take over all transmitting capabilities, meaning that I don't have to do this mod: www.hacksmods.com/2013/04/walkera-devo-7...-increase-range-mod/ is this correct? Or would I Still need to do that mod in addition to the nRF24L01+ to get maximum transmit power?

2- There seem to be many nRF24L01+ modules for sale, I was considering one of these, which one should I get?

www.amazon.com/dp/B00E594ZX0/ This one seems to be the one most people are buying... edit: some research has shown they use the same pins as shown here: arduino-info.wikispaces.com/Nrf24L01-2.4GHz-HowTo

or

www.amazon.com/dp/B00OIQ8FS6/ Now, this second one seems to have a PreAmplifier and a Low Noise amplifier.... so I'm guessing this is the best bet to buy, correct?

If neither of these are best choices, I would love a suggestion.

3- If www.amazon.com/dp/B00OIQ8FS6/ is the best one to buy (with the PA and LNA) then would it be smart to buy this www.amazon.com//dp/B0085WCB9I/ so that I can extend the antenna outside of the receiver? Or should I instead wire the legs of this nRF24L01+ so that it's right next to the top of the inside of the transmitter so that the antenna sticks out of the transmitter (meaning no extension wire)
Last edit: 14 Jul 2015 07:06 by blackjackel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2015 12:30 #35438 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic Just got my 7e, few simple questions
RE: #1; the range mod is for anything that uses the stock module, eg. walkera devo, dsm2, dsmx etc. Each individual module has it's own amplifier, so the range of one does not effect the range of another.
You can use a nRF24L01+ without modifying the stock module.
If you have more than one module installed, the protocol you choose for the current loaded model will dictate the module used. You can switch between modules by loading different models / protocols, it's a case of either/or, you can't use two different modules at the same time but you can use them independent of each other. So anything requiring the stock module will still have the limited range no matter how powerful a nRF24L01+ module you install.

Haven't installed modules so can't comment on anything else

More
14 Jul 2015 16:18 #35443 by Doug40
Replied by Doug40 on topic Just got my 7e, few simple questions
I think most folks would recommend against anything with a built-in antenna and no power amp unless you don't care about range. The one from Amazon would be difficult to use without an extension coax between the module and the antenna. There isn't a lot of room inside the 7e. I used one from Banggood.com with the antenna furnished, but I didn't use the antenna because I didn't find a good way to mount it. I used an extension coax and antenna with a SMA connector. Both eBay and Banggood have candidates for this.

Another choice is to get an antenna without an exterior shell, and just poke it into the Devo antenna housing. It is best to only have one antenna in there, and you can just put the Walkera antenna horizontally at the top of the case if you are not using it.

If you want to see this in a video, go to youtube.com and search for the video by Frequent Flyer where he shows how to install a module in one of his Chop Shop series videos.

More
15 Jul 2015 10:05 #35471 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Just got my 7e, few simple questions
1) Read the official docs on module installation:
bitbucket.org/PhracturedBlue/deviation/wiki/ModuleInstallation
There's a lot of old, outdated stuff on the web about this. If some of what you find contradicts that one, trust that one.

2) For a 7E, you probably want either one with an on-board antenna or one with a ufl connector like this one: www.ebay.com/itm/400611170500 SMA connectors are bulky enough to be an issue on my Devo 10, much less a 7E. I haven't range tested the on-board antenna version of that, but an A7105 with the on-board antenna has a range of about 100 feet. So if you're planning on flying further away than that, get a module with a real antenna.

Note that "a real antenna" includes the little 31-mm jobbies tied directly to the board, but I haven't seen an NRF24L01 with one of those. Going with a connector & external antenna won't increase your max range, it will just let you control the orientation of the antenna to make it more likely you'll get that max range.

I don't think we've seen any issues with NRF24L01's being different. They all seem to use the same pinouts and controls.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
15 Jul 2015 23:17 #35494 by blackjackel
Replied by blackjackel on topic Just got my 7e, few simple questions

mwm wrote: 1) Read the official docs on module installation:
bitbucket.org/PhracturedBlue/deviation/wiki/ModuleInstallation
There's a lot of old, outdated stuff on the web about this. If some of what you find contradicts that one, trust that one.

2) For a 7E, you probably want either one with an on-board antenna or one with a ufl connector like this one: www.ebay.com/itm/400611170500 SMA connectors are bulky enough to be an issue on my Devo 10, much less a 7E. I haven't range tested the on-board antenna version of that, but an A7105 with the on-board antenna has a range of about 100 feet. So if you're planning on flying further away than that, get a module with a real antenna.

Note that "a real antenna" includes the little 31-mm jobbies tied directly to the board, but I haven't seen an NRF24L01 with one of those. Going with a connector & external antenna won't increase your max range, it will just let you control the orientation of the antenna to make it more likely you'll get that max range.

I don't think we've seen any issues with NRF24L01's being different. They all seem to use the same pinouts and controls.

DAMN! I already got the one that I posted with the regular SMA connector and an extension wire for it.... I wish I had seen your post a little earlier. I'll try to fit that and if it doesn't work I'll chalk it up to practice and i'll have to buy the one you suggested.

More
16 Jul 2015 01:02 - 16 Jul 2015 01:11 #35504 by greenfly
Replied by greenfly on topic Just got my 7e, few simple questions
You should still be able to fit the regular SMA into the 7E. It does have a bit of space... if you arrange stuff right. ;)

I have seen people use the different versions of the

www.hacksmods.com/category/devo-2/

http://www.deviationtx.com/forum/6-general-discussions/3844-jjrc-h8c-with-nrf24l01-module-problem#28329
Last edit: 16 Jul 2015 01:11 by greenfly.

Time to create page: 0.035 seconds