Building a small transmitter

More
10 Aug 2015 00:31 #36716 by Richard96816
Building a small transmitter was created by Richard96816
Took a drive yesterday, to get reacquainted with activities on the North Shore. Grabbed a quad and some batteries, just in case the opportunity arose to do some flying. Put an Eachine H8 Mini and it's tiny controller in a small box and tossed it in the car. Wasn't in a mood to lug anything larger.

Was wishing I had a tiny version of the Devo 7e. Been thinking about that a lot. Perhaps starting with a pair of gimbals from a decent radio, and building a Deviation powered controller in a much smaller size. Maybe half the size of the 7e.

Is that crazy, or what?

What would be a good source of nice gimbals to start things off with?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Aug 2015 18:12 #36729 by SadSack
Replied by SadSack on topic Building a small transmitter
Not too crazy :-)

Someone has done tx conversation to another mcu. I put together stock core 7e using 0.96" oled (on youtube) there are few pics of oled in hubsun tx (this forum)
I had planned to mini guide core7e using the 256k mcu. And bonus PB done all the work changing code and bootloader.

7e is by far easiest to build, using just serial connection to screen. And second screen is on PB wish list or random thought :-)
My idea was more about a simple way to upgrade old tx's. Most are better built than new stuff just needs kick ass software.

Now i have connection details Eagle all hardware but all boxed in storage and only mobile for tinternet. That said i could give you shopping list. Hardest thing to solder would be 8 pin soic. Rest is all ready done for most part. I did want minor mod to dev board so to run 1s but mostly just to use better switching supply.

More
10 Aug 2015 20:19 #36743 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Building a small transmitter
Someone once built an ER9X Tx in a hubsan X4 type controller, so you aren't the first person to think of doing this.

If you wanted to go really crazy, you could do one in one of the tiny toy-style Tx's, yanking out all the GUI stuff and using the bluetooth interface that PB has been working on to program it with your cell phone.

So it's certainly possible, but will be a lot of work no matter what you do.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
14 Aug 2015 23:42 #36891 by Richard96816
Replied by Richard96816 on topic Building a small transmitter
Okay, you guys have reminded me there a quite a list of different options.

I was thinking about getting some naked gimbals and starting from there. That's just one possibility. But good gimbals are so important. So where can a get a pair of really nice gimbals for a relatively low price? Either naked or mounted. Smaller would be good, if possible. Though, not at the cost of too much performance.

I really like some of the small radios that come with the toy quads. Until I actually try to use them ... The gimbals (and the rest) are usually awful. The reason we're all using Devos. :-)

More
15 Aug 2015 01:17 #36895 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Building a small transmitter
Have you tried looking at ordering replacement gimbals for some Tx? HK sells them for the Taranis, for instance.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

Time to create page: 0.031 seconds