Implementing YD717 for my own board???

More
26 Aug 2015 16:24 - 26 Aug 2015 16:24 #37218 by jackwu
Hi all, I'm a newbie here! I'm working on a project where I'm trying to use my own board using the nRF24L01+ chip to communicate with one of the toy quadcopters (Cheerson CX-30). The deviation manual says this is the Sky Walker protocol with YD717, which I see on the bitbucket . Does anyone have any suggestions on how to implement the communications protocol? Or what other components in addition to the chip (I'm using this FRDM board )

Sorry I'm so new and not very good at this... I'd appreciate any advice from you experienced old timers!
Last edit: 26 Aug 2015 16:24 by jackwu.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Aug 2015 17:13 #37220 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Implementing YD717 for my own board???
Yup, that nrf24L01 board should work fine, though range might be a bit short for a CX-30. We haven't seen a lot of issues caused by differences between nrf implementations. I'd put it on a socket so switching to a version with a PA & external antenna will be easy if there are range problems.

That's the code you want to use. You might check the DIY multi-protocol module thread on rcgroups. They've ported a bunch of the deviation protocols to an Arduino Pro Mini, which might be useful to you. I'm not familiar with the freescale CPU line, so can't tell exactly what he's using in the tutorial. I don't know of any existing ports using freescale CPUs.

For extra hardware, I don't think you'll need any, but the tutorial you linked to should cover all of that.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
25 Sep 2015 20:22 #38062 by jackwu
Replied by jackwu on topic Implementing YD717 for my own board???
Hi mwm,
So I have all the pins of the nRF24L01 chip connected to an Arduino NANO clone, but I'm not able to compile the deviation code through the Arduino IDE. Got any advice? Or an alternative way to push code onto the nRF chip?
Is the phracturedblue/deviation code compatible with Arduino? I don't see the void setup or void loop functions in it...
I see a LOT of header files to include. Is it some kind of project?

What am I missing here?
Thanks for your help!

More
27 Sep 2015 02:51 - 27 Sep 2015 02:57 #38096 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Implementing YD717 for my own board???
No, the deviaiton code is not compatible with Arduino. When the deviation project started, the arduino API wasn't available for the CPU in the Devo Tx's. Don't know that I'd want to use it for that large a project anyway. A lot of the deviaiton protocols have been ported to the atmega328 on the nano by the DIY Tx module project . If you really want to stay with the Nano, I'd look at their code. It may even build with Arduino - I haven't looked at it.

If you want to use the DeviationTx code, it's built on top of the liibopencm3 API, not the Arduino API. I don't believe that runs on the ATmega CPU line, so you'll need a new CPU. I recommend getting one of these: www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksi...e+mini+leaf&_sacat=0 . Same CPU as in the 7E, just in a smaller package. Once you've got a system set up to build deviation, you'll be able to build code for this with relatively little more effort. If you prefer buying from Amazon, I got one of these: www.amazon.com/STM32F103C8T6-Minimum-Sys...2+maple+mini+arduino . Down-rev of the other that supposedly only has 64K of flash, but seems to actually have the 128K in them.

Yeah, it costs about twice as much as the nano, but you're trading in a 16MHz 8-bit CPU for a 72Mhz 32-bit one, with more of everything (I got one because my current Arduino project is running out of PWM outputs on the Pro Mini). as well. Be warned: the word "arduino" in the title is pretty much link bait. Yes, you can use the Arduino IDE, but it's not bundled with it, so installing it is a DIY task again, and a lot of the libraries need to be ported. See github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/Arduino_STM32/wiki for instructions on using it with Arduino. Also, if you get the "minimum system development" stick instead of "leaf maple mini", you'll have to install the stm32duino boot loader on it. Not sure if the leaf maple mini comes with an arduino-compatible boot loader installed or not, but it's the one recommended by the stm32duino project.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.
Last edit: 27 Sep 2015 02:57 by mwm.

Time to create page: 0.035 seconds