Question on Multi module or other option on 7E

More
10 Sep 2015 22:21 #37646 by Goossens
Hello,

Doing the range mod on my 7e I have removed a second diode (my hand was not as steady as used to be). I think it is not as easy to place one back on it.

This got me wondering. Is it possible to use a cyrf6936 high power module as second module?
Or is it possible by using a Multi module system?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2015 02:09 #37705 by skretchmer
Replied by skretchmer on topic Question on Multi module or other option on 7E
you can get the 8S/10 ugrade for the 7e module and replace the existing CYRF module. Then you get the full power output without diode removal. Soldering in the replacement is much easier than the diode mod, those things are TINY.
see this thread:
www.hacksmods.com/2014/10/wk-devo-s-mod-module-for-devo7e/

More
13 Sep 2015 11:39 #37712 by Goossens
Replied by Goossens on topic Question on Multi module or other option on 7E
Hello Skretchmer,

I was looking for the S8 module. Is it possible to place the CYRF from an s8 as a secondary module?

More
13 Sep 2015 14:28 #37713 by skretchmer
Replied by skretchmer on topic Question on Multi module or other option on 7E
the multimodule board has an option for a CYRF module as part of the board. I have not seen anything about how to enable that in the hardware.ini however, and at a minimum I would assume it would require removal of the original board since it winds up always enabled by default if it exists.

from what I have seen here, your only option is to remove the existing board and then wire in the 8/10 replacement board either directly, or as part of a Multimodule.

More
13 Sep 2015 22:46 #37736 by Richard96816
Replied by Richard96816 on topic Question on Multi module or other option on 7E
It pains me to read about folks having trouble with things like the Devo 7e range mod. Especially managing the harder part of removing the shield just fine and having trouble with the simpler parts after that. We need better tutorials. And they need to be easier to find on this site.

No one should ever accidentally remove/desolder unintended parts. There is no reason for it. And for the range mod, it's my understanding that conductive ink works well, so most folks should be using that.

Before doing work on surface mount boards protect the surrounding area from damage with tape. Making it almost impossible to make mistakes. Just about any tape will protect from getting conductive ink in the wrong places. If you're soldering or desoldering then Kapton tape will provide the necessary protection from the heat. It's an extra step that pros may not need. But you and I do. It makes things much more mistake proof. Like using masking tape for a paint job.

This stuff is not that hard. You just need to take your time, use good instructions and don't act like a pro if you're not a pro. We need better tutorials.

I don't have the time or camera at the moment. But I'm considering making a tutorial for changing out the processor on the Devo 7e -- because it's way easier to do than folks here are suggesting. But only if you know the tricks and follow the plan.

Here's a Youtube video showing another use of Kapton tape that Devo 7e owners can probably find good uses for. Folks here have noted that there are useful unused pins on the the 7e's processor, but they're too small and too hard to use. Well that's just not true. It's a piece of cake to use them, if you take your time, work carefully and use the right tricks.

When you're looking for an easier way of doing something search Youtube. It's an amazing resource. Getting the results of a pro without actually taking the time to become one is okay in my book. People will think you're a pro anyway. :-)

More
14 Sep 2015 13:23 #37757 by mwm

Richard96816 wrote: IWe need better tutorials.

So, links to yours? Your posts demonstrates that you're better qualified than I am to create tutorials on the hardware mods. So please write them and post links in the forum. Unless someone qualified to write them (which in this case means not me,but someone like you) steps up to create them, they won't exist.

And they need to be easier to find on this site.

Sigh. I keep going back and forth between wanting another site for things like model compatibility and config files, and just wanting everything in one place. We really need better search functionality on the site. But like most site searches, you're better off using google with the site:deviationtx.com link. To help that, try post pointers back to your tutorial threads whenever appropriate.

BTW, you might be able to edit the wiki that has the current tutorial on it. Create a section for the 7E hardware mods and written toturials to parallel SebyDocky's youtube tutorials would be a nice addition.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

Time to create page: 0.037 seconds