Please help me with my questions

More
03 Oct 2015 12:26 #38380 by ipeter
Please help me with my questions was created by ipeter
Hello everyone!

I'm currently into flying nano quads, but the stock transmitters aren't the most comfortable for me, so i would like to replace them all with a Devo 10.
Now, I'm not really sure i understand this Deviation Tx thing properly, if i buy a Devo 10, and an NRF24L01 module, install the module and the deviation firmware then this is all i need?
Is there any complicated steps that i missed? I have soldered before, but not really tight stuff, I'm a bit worried about breaking a new transmitter.
There are lots of different NRF24L01 modules, and black or white Devo 10, which is the recommended one?
Some guy complained about the Devo 10 on a forum about the switches getting loose, and the gimbals not centering properly after a year, because of the cheap parts, is it true?

Thanks in advance, and excuse my English if its bad.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2015 13:11 #38384 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic Please help me with my questions
That's all you'll need to fly nano quads that use protocols running on the nRF24L01, which is a lot of them.

The soldering is not too difficult, but practice on some scrap electronics first.

My 10 is two years old and I'm very happy with it. No issues so far and it's used several times a week.

More
03 Oct 2015 14:53 #38390 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Please help me with my questions
I'll second that. My 10 is also two years old, and I've had more issues with the added hardware than with the original stuff. The only problems with switches/etc. is I dropped it once and broke a switch off, and wound up ordering a new one from Europe.

Either the white or black is fine, just buy whichever is most desirable or cheapest, depending on what you want. We haven't seen any reports of issues with different nrf24L01 modules, and they all seem to be similar. I used one of the recommended ones in my 10, and a cheap arduino-compatible one with an antenna on the PCB on my 6, which I only use to fly nano quads so was fine with any range reduction it may have.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
03 Oct 2015 15:43 #38392 by ipeter
Replied by ipeter on topic Please help me with my questions
Thanks for the answers, you guys seems to be very helpful!
I order a 10 pretty soon, just hope they don't send it with the slow boat...

More
03 Oct 2015 17:52 - 03 Oct 2015 17:58 #38395 by RedSleds
Replied by RedSleds on topic Please help me with my questions
For maximum range, make sure to get a nRF module that has +PA +LNA (power amplifier and low noise amplifier) with at least +20dB gain with the PA, and does not have the antenna that is built into the board(zig-zag copper traces). Get one that has a uFL antenna socket on the board, or other means to connect a separate, discrete antenna.

Like this one: ---->
www.banggood.com/2_4G-NRF24L01-PA-LNA-Wi...ntenna-p-922601.html
or this:
www.banggood.com/DEVO-Transmitter-Tuner-...ys-V922-p-89812.html

Don't get one like this. It only transmits at +4dB for a range of only 80 meters in ideal conditions(read: it will have significantly less in actual use in the field): ---->
www.amazon.com/nRF24L01-Wireless-Transce...atible/dp/B00E594ZX0

I got my white DEVO 10 through Bang_good for $121, plus about $6 for the expedited shipping option, and had it within 7 days from China to West Coast USA. For some unknown and inexplicable reason, the black model is more expensive, $129, plus $12 expedited shipping. $14 more for basically the same thing, ...???

DEVO 10 - Multi-module with nRF24L01 +PA +LNA, A7105 +PA, & CC2500 +PA +LNA transceivers.
Nightly Build: v4.0.1-548bbf5 (6/9/2015)
Last edit: 03 Oct 2015 17:58 by RedSleds.

More
03 Oct 2015 21:22 #38405 by Durete
Replied by Durete on topic Please help me with my questions

RedSleds wrote: For some unknown and inexplicable reason, the black model is more expensive, $129, plus $12 expedited shipping. $14 more for basically the same thing, ...???

Also, if I remember good, the white one is reported to have a better antenna :P

More
04 Oct 2015 03:21 #38411 by mwm

RedSleds wrote: Don't get one like this. It only transmits at +4dB for a range of only 80 meters in ideal conditions(read: it will have significantly less in actual use in the field): ---->
www.amazon.com/nRF24L01-Wireless-Transce...atible/dp/B00E594ZX0

He said he was going to fly nano quads. The biggest of those has a diagonal size of 50mm. So assume your best working range on the PCB antenna is only 50m. At that distance, a large nano will subtend an angle of about 3 minutes. To put that in perspective, the width of your little finger at arms length subtends an angle of about 60 minutes. If you can see a nano well enough to fly it at 50 meters, then you have much better eyes than I. Or any human. But not Legolas. So unless you're an elf, that range should be more than adequate.

No disrespect intended, I'm just having fun with the physics of the situation. Yes, avoid these if you want maximum range. But if range isn't an issue, not having to deal with an antenna or the smaller size might make a difference. With a 10 the size won't. And you can always just leave the antenna inside the case with an option to install an external one later. So getting the full range one is the best option in case in the future you decide you want to fly something you can see more than a couple of dozen meters away.

More
04 Oct 2015 07:04 #38412 by RedSleds
Replied by RedSleds on topic Please help me with my questions
Sure, but why not get the max range available. What if you decide later to get a 350mm Syma X8? After a few signal drop-outs and crashes due to non-response to inputs at 50-80 meters, you will be wishing you got the nRF module with the power amplifier, instead of the low power nRF module that cost $2 less than the one that you should have bought to begin with.

Sometimes I fly my JJ-1000 out to around 100-120 yards at night with the LEDs turned on. It is a micro of about 95mm. Sure, at that distance, especially at certain angles of attitude, it's just a little blob of light and you can't really visually tell its orientation, but with enough forward pitch your thumbs and brain can keep track of what it "should" be doing by your stick inputs and it is flyable out that far. ....and yes, there is the occasional walk of shame. OK, ....maybe a lot more than occasionally. :unsure:

As a youngster, I had almost 20/10 vision in both eyes, which basically meant that I could see things and read things at nearly twice as far away than people with 20/20 "normal" vision could. Now, at 61, if I can keep from staring at a computer monitor for hours and hours, I still have 20/20 on the eye chart test. I must have been adopted, because everyone else in my family had to wear glasses.

....and, no, I don't have pointy ears, nor do I run around shooting orcs with a bow & arrow. =O)

DEVO 10 - Multi-module with nRF24L01 +PA +LNA, A7105 +PA, & CC2500 +PA +LNA transceivers.
Nightly Build: v4.0.1-548bbf5 (6/9/2015)

More
04 Oct 2015 21:36 #38423 by mwm

RedSleds wrote: Sure, but why not get the max range available. What if you decide later to get a 350mm Syma X8?

Well, I provided an answer in my post. The smaller module fits better in the 7e and 6. Or you may not want to deal with either having an antenna farm (some people don't like the look) or figuring out how to mount antennas internally. That's why I went with pcb antenna for both modules in my 6s. And if I fly 350 sized quads with my 10, which has the long range modules. And I also agreed with you - unless you have one of those issues, get the longer range module for better future options.

Time to create page: 0.038 seconds