Foam Boards, Depron etc. in UK

More
04 Nov 2015 15:54 #39555 by mzbeg
Foam Boards, Depron etc. in UK was created by mzbeg
Hi, all where do you buy foam boards etc. from for building your model aircraft in UK ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Nov 2015 09:49 #39596 by robocog
Replied by robocog on topic Foam Boards, Depron etc. in UK
I'm using green foam underlay from leftover's from when I laid laminate flooring in the kitchen
(knew it would come in handy one day :) )
Big packs, not that expensive and readily available
Cuts nice and easy, will bend if scored, I have had hit and miss with gluing it though

My advice based on how its gone so far on my first ever build
(doing a FT tiny trainer - in polyhedral winged chuck glider mode for my 4 yr old lad first)

put tape on one side before doing any cutting/bending - adding it afterwards is hard without adding crinkles

score 1/2 way with a blade and then use lollipop sicks or similar to make the scores behind any bends
Don't force it without scoring and taping the other side first (it just breaks)
Add scores to the back if its not bending enough

Make LOTs of test hot glue lines on scrap to practice what will destroy the foam and what will stick OK
(I found this was a hard thing to get the balance on - and even used a light dimmer switch on the glue gun to try and keep it at the sweet spot but if left on its lowest setting it still gets too hot)

Don't do it on the dining room table without the proper authorization documentation

If a razor blade falls off the table just let it fall... trying to catch it between your knees is a dumb thing to do whilst wielding the skin meltingly hot glue gun (yes it still hurts a bit and pulling it out was very unpleasant, the excess glue luckily came off the table without too much marring)

Mine is a bit fugly and had to be covered in packing tape...but it seems to glide brilliantly from the small indoor tests we have done
(waiting for a calm and not so wet day to maiden it properly)
I /will/ build another (with flaps and a motor) if chuck glider mode lasts more than a few flights and the lad is still interested
Now I have a Devo 10 to go with the 7e I can buddy box them together ....

Regards
Rob

More
05 Nov 2015 11:35 - 05 Nov 2015 11:45 #39602 by blackmoon
Replied by blackmoon on topic Foam Boards, Depron etc. in UK
rofl Rob, the last three warnings remind me of something, or was it someone... :oops:

Btw I buy all my depron aero stuff from amazon.de, they ship to Belgium maybe also to UK, last time it was 84€ for a box of 40full sheets 1250x800x3mm

Some links :
aero 3mm : www.amazon.de/Selit-89103-Depron-Modelli...d=1446723445&sr=8-10
normal 3mm : www.amazon.de/Depron-Print-Modellbauplat...id=1446723445&sr=8-9

aero 6mm : www.amazon.de/gp/product/B004XZ8XHK?refR...W&ref_=pd_bia_yo_t_1
normal 6mm : www.amazon.de/Depron-Print-Model-Buildin...id=1446723445&sr=8-3

Hope this helps.
Last edit: 05 Nov 2015 11:45 by blackmoon.

More
08 Nov 2015 16:33 #39738 by ernie007
Replied by ernie007 on topic Foam Boards, Depron etc. in UK
hi i see Robotbirds in uk sell eep and depron sheet
hope this help

More
10 Nov 2015 21:28 #39860 by djdazzy
Replied by djdazzy on topic Foam Boards, Depron etc. in UK
www.depron.co.uk is a good place to order from in the UK.

More
11 Nov 2015 03:43 #39905 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic Foam Boards, Depron etc. in UK
Maybe Amzon UK? This one seems to be decent perhaps? Several reviews saying they use it for flitetest builds, might be more similar to the boards we tend to get in Aus (denser and heavier, but better quality and durability)

robocog wrote: Don't do it on the dining room table without the proper authorization documentation

I have no idea what you are talking about; that cut mark was already there :whistle:
Rob, have you checked out the chuck gliders you can get on ebay? I'm wating for one to arrive "for my son" ( :whistle: ), seem very similar to the multiplex fox but ~GBP$5 shipped! I just searched for "foam glider". Gonna try to convert to a controllable high-start glider

More
13 Nov 2015 22:49 #40025 by mzbeg
Replied by mzbeg on topic Foam Boards, Depron etc. in UK
I found the cheapest source of 5 mm foam board at about £2 per 59 cm x 42 cm per sheet from ebay. I can not afford Amozon's Depron, some one else was selling Depron for much less, but still about £4 or there about.

More
13 Nov 2015 23:50 #40027 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic Foam Boards, Depron etc. in UK
That's an A2 size; The A1 I linked (foamboard, not depron) is twice as big, for £2.80 each (in a pack of 10). I'd be a bit concerned as to what you can fit onto an A2 sized sheet, not many designs would fit.
A2 = 594 x 420
A1 = 594 x 841

More
14 Nov 2015 15:54 #40051 by mzbeg
Replied by mzbeg on topic Foam Boards, Depron etc. in UK
I am making small plane like FT Tiny Trainer. He is selling A1 for £2.30 per sheet for 10 sheets, and A0 is for £7 per sheet for 10 sheets.

More
14 Nov 2015 17:15 #40053 by djdazzy
Replied by djdazzy on topic Foam Boards, Depron etc. in UK

mzbeg wrote: I am making small plane like FT Tiny Trainer. He is selling A1 for £2.30 per sheet for 10 sheets, and A0 is for £7 per sheet for 10 sheets.

Download the plan, print it and see what will be the size foam you can get away with. I use the large sheet depron so you can normally cut the wing from one sheet instead of jointing it in the middle unless it is over 1.25m wingspan.

The FT plans use dollar tree which is smaller so they joint the wings in the middle - also it reduces the package size when sending the kits out.

Alternatively, just go and buy a Hobbyking AXN for 30 quid..... excellent starter/trainer plane without investing lots of time and money because you are going to crash it. Another good idea is to join a club because unless you have acres of land you are going to need a legal field to fly in. Also, they normally have people who know where the resources are locally. Where abouts in the UK are you?

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds