UGH!!! can we get an automatic "save draft"

More
06 Jan 2016 01:29 #41417 by fredskidoo
How can we get an automatic "save draft" option within the reply process of this forum software?
You know the deal. I was typing out a quite lengthy response within the forum's reply page and
selected preview and bumped the backspace key and I lost 45 minutes of effort.
Its entirely my fault but even my crappy online email service saves me when it comes to this kinda stuff. I usually use notepad and cut and paste but not this time.

UGH!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jan 2016 02:08 #41419 by RedSleds
Replied by RedSleds on topic UGH!!! can we get an automatic "save draft"
How on Earth did you get that video of me?! :huh:

I know exactly what you mean. I have been CTRL-C'ing long posts lately. That way when the inevitable happens, I can just paste it back in the text box, ...or if it is a really long post I paste it into a text editor and work on it there.

But, it still happens to me occasionally. :angry:

DEVO 10 - Multi-module with nRF24L01 +PA +LNA, A7105 +PA, & CC2500 +PA +LNA transceivers.
Nightly Build: v4.0.1-548bbf5 (6/9/2015)

More
06 Jan 2016 07:30 #41425 by stevecox
Replied by stevecox on topic UGH!!! can we get an automatic "save draft"
Not a forum fix but depending on your www browser a quick n dirty crude hack that works in Firefox and maybe Chrome and others, instead of opening a separate program like notepad is to enter the following text into the browser url bar - in a new browser tab (IE11 doesn't like this):
data:text/html, <html contenteditable><textarea rows="40" cols="76" autofocus>
Then you will be able to write plain text in the text block space, when happy just ctrl+a then ctrl+c switch back to your forum comment and ctrl-+v

You can save that url as a bookmark. Depending on your browser then when needed you could just do a ctrl+t then hit that bookmark and then start typing. My IE11 doesn't like it but I use Firefox
You can obviously fiddle with the cols/rows size so you get something you're happy with :-)
You could always add more functions to it if you wanted, even save a local version etc, it's more that your editor is in a separate tab rather than running a separate program.
Firefox gives an option to save the page as a text file too if you wanted, like saving snippets from browsing the web etc.

Adelaide

More
06 Feb 2016 13:40 - 06 Feb 2016 13:49 #42667 by goebish
Replied by goebish on topic UGH!!! can we get an automatic "save draft"
There's a wonderful addon for firefox (probably for chrome and others too...) named Lazarus, that will keep an history of everything you've typed in any form :)

Saved my life several times:
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/lazarus-form-recovery/

... but of course it can represent a security / privacy threat if you share your computer session with someone else.
Don't, the "P" in "PC" is for Personal ;)
Last edit: 06 Feb 2016 13:49 by goebish.

Time to create page: 0.029 seconds