Modified GUI emu for 7E and 10?

More
15 Feb 2016 23:59 #43171 by RoGuE_StreaK
Modified GUI emu for 7E and 10? was created by RoGuE_StreaK
A recent discussion about the what use the emu is prompted a thought; is it possible to make, for example, a modified version of the 6s emu for direct use for a 7E? ie., using the same graphical interface as the 6s emu so a 7E user can more easily / readily create model.ini files, in a more user-friendly manner, but have the emu tweaked so it uses the switch names specific to the 7E?

Perhaps a generic emu, where the switches/trims/knobs available are specified in an emu.ini file? This could then allow for any mix of the weird'n'wonderful hacked switches that are abounding, and also allow a ready interface for tweaking model.ini's for use by others with different TXs?
Perhaps a list like the hardware.ini, with a 0/1 option to turn each switch/trim/knob on in the emu?

I think a tweaked GUI emu would be much more user-friendly for 7E/10 users, giving them a tool for the heavier lifting without resorting to manual file editing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2016 05:18 #43172 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Modified GUI emu for 7E and 10?
Being a CLI guy, the b&w ui on the emulator doesn't really bother me much. So the most interesting hack to the 7e emu would be just turning on the GUI editor in it. That way you could create home page layouts for the 7e in the emulator. Come to think of it, I think I'll submit a pull request for that.

Second on my list of things to do - after the voice alerts stuff - is putting as much of the hardware config information as possible in hardware.ini. Not just off/on for things, but which mcu pin and and name to use. Ideally, that would be all the inputs as well as which LCD and UI to use. While the goal is to make life easier on people who want to do hardware mods - swapping switches for knobs, or the extra inputs stuff on the 7e and 6, or upgrading the 7e mcu, or even a custom mainboard, if just the inputs get done, then what you want is the 6 or 8 or 12 emulator with the 7e hardware.ini.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
16 Feb 2016 06:05 - 16 Feb 2016 06:05 #43174 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic Modified GUI emu for 7E and 10?
I guess the main point is that the 7E/10 emu isn't "touch enabled", so you can't just use a mouse to quickly click around and change values, you have to remember the keyboard inputs and that's just as clunky as, if not clunkier than, using the physical TX. I think for new 7E/10 users in particular the whole having to click up and down through pages then navigate to select then enter, etc., etc., makes the whole deviation thing seem more complex than it really is, and that if they had access to the easier interfaces for getting their initial models mostly set up then the learning hurdle would be easier to overcome? It's hard to figure out how things interact when you have to do 10 clicks between them. But once you have the basic knowledge down pat, using the physical TX in the field becomes easier.

I like the idea of a generic gui that can be used for whatever physical setup you want to throw at it. There's also nothing really that says "we" (ahem) need to make it the same as one of the TX guis, computers have much larger screen space available so a less simplified/compact interface can be investigated... perhaps something for the gsoc?

Anyway, I was just suggesting a modified 6S emu as I "figured" it would be the quickest mod to get a workable solution (not knowing a thing about the background code etc :P )
Last edit: 16 Feb 2016 06:05 by RoGuE_StreaK.

More
16 Feb 2016 07:51 #43175 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Modified GUI emu for 7E and 10?
If I had a DEVO 10, I would definitely use the emu_devo8 or 12 for editing the model files anyway.
For the time being learn which switch converts to what, and use those switches appropriate to your tx.

For example the DR&Expo template has much more sense on the touch screen GUIs...

Time to create page: 0.033 seconds