External Module questions

More
18 Feb 2016 23:52 #43264 by misherman
External Module questions was created by misherman
Disclosure: Very new deviate with little hardware knowledge. Read a lot of Tutorials posts and got Deviation up and running on new Devo 7E. Now looking at options to add modules (would like to add 3, but think the Multi module would be above my pay grade.) Apologies if these questions are already answered - I have looked but there is a lot of info to process.

I like the approach of adding external modules used by Stefan in this Tutorial - www.deviationtx.com/forum/how-to/2477-my...ree-external-modules
It seems consistent, expandable (?), sidesteps space issues, and I think I could do it.

Question 1:
- If I build 3 separate external modules (not sure why Stefan put 2 in one box) for the A7105, NRF24L01, and CC2500, can I connect all of them to the TMS port since only 1 will ever be connected at a time?
- Will there be any (compile?) issue if all are enabled to A13 in the file at the same time?
- As long as one is plugged into A13, will it not give error messages about missing modules?

Question 2:
- I would prefer to replace the CYRF6936 module than attempt the diode removal/short mod. If replacing the module, I'd like to use another external module as in Q1. Crazy?
- Hardware: Assume the 7 pads at the bottom of the CYRF module are all I would need to run to the external module (power and CSN are in pad 1,5,or 6)? Any other hardware issues?
- Software: Would I need to add any commands to the hardware.ini file to enable the CYRF module if moved externally?

Appreciate any comments, advice, and references. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2016 02:16 #43276 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic External Module questions
He doesn't say how he did the software side of things, but I don't think there's a good option. You either edit the appropriate .ini file (tx.ini in his, hardware.ini in current builds) and power cycle to change modules, or run with modules missing - which isn't really supported and can be problematic.

I'd recommend going with the multimodule. The extra cost is minimal, as you only need the PCB and an ATTiny, which is about the same as the required RF modules. That's harder than installing one module, but easier than installing two The problem with it on the 7E (and 6) is that it's a bit bulky to fit inside the radio. Putting it in an external box like this neatly solves that. You might note that the article you referenced predates multimodule support in deviation, and may predate the multimodule completely.

Replacing the CYRF module in the 7E with one designed for the 6/8/10 is fairly standard, and works well. It's not a plug in replacement, but again putting it in an external box would help with that. I'm not sure if we support replacing the Devo's builtin CYRF with a multi-module version, but think that's something we really ought to support, and would be more than happy to work with you on that if you're interested.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
19 Feb 2016 06:55 #43283 by misherman
Replied by misherman on topic External Module questions
OK, thanks for the suggestion. I was digging the simplicity of the one module at a time approach, but I think I can get into the multi-module. Found it very confusing, but on 2nd and 3rd reading, starting to understand a little better. I only have 2 of the modules now, expecting to add others when I get quads that need them, so I'll have to order a bunch of stuff - not sure how long before I am ready, but will start tomorrow (oops today). I guess I will just reply here if I have questions or is there a better place?

Again, appreciate your offer to work with me on this.

More
19 Feb 2016 08:40 #43290 by mwm
Always best to ask in the forums.

Most people can live with just two extra modules. The NRF24L01 is the real driver - most of the newer RTF models use it in some form or another. The other three chips are similar: some hobby-grade RTF models and a line of popular receivers on each. Except the A7105 is also used by some older toy-grade RTF models, which makes it a bit more attractive. So most people want either the NRF24L01 and either the A7105 (to get a their older RTF models) or the CC2500 (to get the FrSky receivers, which have better performance at a lower price than any other supported option).

It think making the CYRF handling look more like other modules - so it could be replaced by a different one if you wanted the other three, or put on a multimodule as you're looking at doing - would be a good thing. I added it to the (newly created) projects page .

More
19 Feb 2016 18:40 #43323 by misherman
On the projects page you said, " Fixing the Walkera transmitters so they work properly if the CYRF module is missing or replaced by one of those options would make a number of our users happy."

To be sure I know what this means before I rip out the old board and get the $20 new one to put in the external multi-mod, do you think that this will require further (hardware) mods to the transmitter, or just changes to the Deviation software program?

More
20 Feb 2016 05:37 #43348 by mwm
Just software changes.

More
20 Feb 2016 05:42 #43350 by misherman
Great, thanks. Looks like a couple weeks before parts get here...

More
09 Mar 2016 17:27 #44334 by misherman

mwm wrote: He doesn't say how he did the software side of things, but I don't think there's a good option. You either edit the appropriate .ini file (tx.ini in his, hardware.ini in current builds) and power cycle to change modules, or run with modules missing - which isn't really supported and can be problematic.

I'd recommend going with the multimodule. The extra cost is minimal, as you only need the PCB and an ATTiny, which is about the same as the required RF modules. That's harder than installing one module, but easier than installing two The problem with it on the 7E (and 6) is that it's a bit bulky to fit inside the radio. Putting it in an external box like this neatly solves that. You might note that the article you referenced predates multimodule support in deviation, and may predate the multimodule completely.

Replacing the CYRF module in the 7E with one designed for the 6/8/10 is fairly standard, and works well. It's not a plug in replacement, but again putting it in an external box would help with that. I'm not sure if we support replacing the Devo's builtin CYRF with a multi-module version, but think that's something we really ought to support, and would be more than happy to work with you on that if you're interested.

Still waiting for some parts, but have enough to start.

Question 1: I have the upgraded CYRF module from eHirobo to mount externally. Can I just leave the stock CYRF in the 7E or do i need to desolder and remove it? (Will it confuse the software or use a port that I need if both are installed?)

Question 2: On the module list, there are several pin connects (CC2500 - 5 to 10, 7 to 9. NRF24L01 - 2 to 3. A7105 - 6 to 9, 7 to 8. CYRF-Devo - 9 to 5). Do these shorts need to be done with the MMod, or does it handle these on the PCB?

More
10 Mar 2016 09:00 #44359 by mwm
You need to remove the CYRF module. And the multimodule provides all the proper connections.

FWIW, we now know how to connect three extra modules without a multimodule. However, on the 7E, it requires soldering directly to an MCU pin, so I'd still recommend the multimodule unless you're comfortable doing that.

More
10 Mar 2016 14:12 #44376 by misherman
Thanks. Probably will continue with MM, but willing to look at MCU option. Is there a link that shows how that is done?

More
10 Mar 2016 14:35 #44378 by TheSFReader
Replied by TheSFReader on topic External Module questions
cf deviationtx.com/forum/7-development/5434...odule?start=60#43954 (a few comments before and after and deviationtx.com/forum/7-development/5434...odule?start=60#43970 for a tutorial on doing that precision "pin" soldering...

More
10 Mar 2016 20:12 #44405 by misherman
Thanks for the link. I'll keep it as an option if my MM goes south.

More
04 May 2016 19:31 #47769 by misherman
OK, back again after a long wait for parts, and some detours. Got the 2 x3 way switches installed, got the u.fl connector attached to the A7105, blah, blah, blah.

Anyway, reviewed all notes and ready to attack the MM. First question:
*If installing a 'DEVO' CYRF6936 module into the MultiMod, the 5.0V pin must be connected between the MultiMod and the Transmitter, otherwise it can be left floating*

Where does this attach in the Devo 7E? Am I missing a picture?

More
04 May 2016 21:07 #47776 by mwm
IIUC, the only source for +5 volts in all the Walkera transmitters it the one for the CYRF module. It's not shown in the 7e installation wiki page ( www.deviationtx.com/wiki/rf_module_installation/devo7e ) because the CYRF is the only module that needs +5.

Since people have used the 6/8/10/12 telemetry upgrade module in the 7E, it must be available. So it's one of pins 1, 5 or 6 in the image of the 7E. I'd suspect 1, as that's what it is on the others. You should be able to check it with a meter. Or maybe one of the people who've used a replacement CYRF module in a 7E can tell you?

More
04 May 2016 21:37 #47780 by misherman
Thanks, good thinking. Out of practice doing that when everything (else) is on pictures!

So, looks like 1 is 3.3V and 6 is 4.6V (close enough to 5V I guess). Maybe my new cheapo HK NiMh batteries are weak...

Yikes, wife is home - have to get back to this later...

More
13 May 2016 03:42 #48323 by misherman
I am finally ready to try something. I have removed the stock CYRF module, connected the new CYRF to the MM (outside the 7E), and connected the MM to the 7E.

Assuming I have done all the soldering correctly (a minor miracle, but my continuity tester isn't squawking), I am ready to turn on the CYRF and see if it works.

Since I removed the stock CYRF the tx has been telling me that module is missing when I turn it on (been playing with battery options). And it still says it's missing with the new connection, as expected.

I didn't bother enabling the B12 address since that didn't seem like it would work. The only other modules for the MM listed are A7105 (enable S1), CC2500 (enable S3), and the NRF 24L01, (enable S402). I have those too, but want to add them one at a time and test before I add another to the MM (starting with the CYRF).

I think I read that the CYRF was supported by the MM for another tx. I know you set up a project to provide support for the Devo. I doubt there is any more I can do, but willing to try.
Otherwise, this is where a really smart person would be helpful!

More
13 May 2016 12:50 - 13 May 2016 12:55 #48344 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic External Module questions

misherman wrote: So, looks like 1 is 3.3V and 6 is 4.6V (close enough to 5V I guess). Maybe my new cheapo HK NiMh batteries are weak...

Pin 6 is correct. It's reading 4.6 because the 5V supply goes threw a SOT-123 diode dropping 0.4v. If you want to locate the full 5v supply pull from the right side of the SOT-123 diode that's below and to the right of the module.

You can see it in this pic, bottom right of pic.
File Attachment:

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/
Last edit: 13 May 2016 12:55 by Cereal_Killer.

More
13 May 2016 13:42 #48347 by misherman
CK,
Thanks. So is it the black rectangle with silver on each side? If that's correct, which side do you solder to?

More
13 May 2016 13:45 #48348 by misherman
Duh, right side. See it now. (Not a morning person). Thanks again.

More
18 May 2016 02:42 #48618 by misherman

misherman wrote: I am finally ready to try something. I have removed the stock CYRF module, connected the new CYRF to the MM (outside the 7E), and connected the MM to the 7E.

Assuming I have done all the soldering correctly (a minor miracle, but my continuity tester isn't squawking), I am ready to turn on the CYRF and see if it works.

Since I removed the stock CYRF the tx has been telling me that module is missing when I turn it on (been playing with battery options). And it still says it's missing with the new connection, as expected.

I didn't bother enabling the B12 address since that didn't seem like it would work. The only other modules for the MM listed are A7105 (enable S1), CC2500 (enable S3), and the NRF 24L01, (enable S402). I have those too, but want to add them one at a time and test before I add another to the MM (starting with the CYRF).

I think I read that the CYRF was supported by the MM for another tx. I know you set up a project to provide support for the Devo. I doubt there is any more I can do, but willing to try.
Otherwise, this is where a really smart person would be helpful!

Mike,
Ready to test some CYRF support software, but if that is going to take a while, I think I will just go ahead with the other modules...I can always test them one at a time and circle back to the CYRF. :)

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds