Stock CYRF6936 power at 150mW in Devo 7E?

More
29 Feb 2016 17:02 #43884 by misherman
While waiting for parts to start multi-module and other 7E mods, I see that when I turn the 7E on, it comes up in deviation and shows 150mW on the Model1 screen.
Is this measuring the power of the stock CYRF module installed (I thought it was supposed to be only 10mW) ? Or is it some default set in the Model1 parameters (haven't got into the software yet) ?
Trying to decide if I need the "upgraded" CYRF module I just ordered for range modification...

Thx.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Feb 2016 18:07 #43886 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic Stock CYRF6936 power at 150mW in Devo 7E?
You can mod the stock 10mW module to make it full range. You have to unsolder and lift the metal cover, then bridge a small smd resistor to remove the pwr restriction.

Easy way to do it is to strip some servo wire than cut away most of the copper hairs sticking out but leave a few, tin the hairs sticking out with solder, then bend them, solder this on top of the resistor and cut away.

search the forum for images.

More
29 Feb 2016 19:26 #43891 by FDR
Some explanation:
The power indicator was primarily written for those DEVO transmitters, like the DEVO 8, which have a power amplifier. You can adjust the output power of the CYRF RF chip, which is amplified by a fixed amount by the PA afterwards.
The DEVO 7E doesn't have a PA, so only the output of the CYRF chip is transmitted. It could be adjusted, but the maximum would be 10mW anyway at the maximum setting. Since it has no sense to lower that 10mW, the power adjustment is disabled in the DEVO 7E, and the output power is set to the maximum, which would be 150mW if it had a PA.
So basically in case of the 7E it is only a fake max power indication...

BTW the same is used for the other RF modules too, which can have totally different output levels too...

More
29 Feb 2016 21:18 #43915 by mwm
People have reported good results using conductive ink rather than wire to make the power mod - at least if you use good quality ink.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
01 Mar 2016 03:36 #43921 by misherman
Replied by misherman on topic Stock CYRF6936 power at 150mW in Devo 7E?
Thanks for responses.
Fernandez - yes I know about the mod - I was checking to see if I got a lucky full power module in my new 7E
FDR - thank you, that was the answer I needed.
mwm - I'm the guy that is going to try and build an external module with all 4 RF modules - still waiting for parts. Didn't want to try the diode fix, as not very experienced with tiny soldering, so I bought a new CYRF module. May need your help if software doesn't like it outside the 7E.

More
06 Mar 2016 03:57 - 06 Mar 2016 03:58 #44174 by RumbleBeeAL
Replied by RumbleBeeAL on topic Stock CYRF6936 power at 150mW in Devo 7E?
Soldering with 0402 sized comments can be tricky for sure.

However, it can also be quite rewarding:

Clck here!
Last edit: 06 Mar 2016 03:58 by RumbleBeeAL.

More
08 Mar 2016 23:07 #44292 by misherman
Well, I am impressed - but still not brave enough to try it!

More
14 Mar 2016 17:41 #44568 by saidem
Replied by saidem on topic Stock CYRF6936 power at 150mW in Devo 7E?
Hello,
I am a little confused in all these messages. I wonder myself if for Devo 7E after the changing of resistor or diode the CYRF6936 emits at the same power as the Devo 8S. Because I thought that the only difference between two was the only"resistor or diode." and no PA.
Thank you for helping me.

More
16 Mar 2016 03:26 #44630 by misherman
I think so, but there are several ways to fix it. You can remove the resistor, and short the connection with solder or conductive ink, or you can get a new module, and install it in place of the stock CYRF.

People with less experience soldering minute components (like me) seem to recommend replacing the module.

Hope this helps.

More
16 Mar 2016 10:58 - 08 Apr 2016 15:36 #44638 by saidem
Actually my question was primarily to know whether the Devo 7E module had the same module as the Devo8 ie that he had an associated PA or not?
And to know whether the power emitted after changing is the same that the original CYRF6936?
Thank you for your answers.
Last edit: 08 Apr 2016 15:36 by saidem.

More
16 Mar 2016 12:05 #44640 by RumbleBeeAL
I don't have a Devo 8 at my disposal to take measurements from. I will however have a stock Devo 7E within the next few days to mod for a friend of mine. I plan to take pre and post measurements before the PA enabling mod.

I do believe the 7E's stock module includes a similar, if not the same, Power Amp (PA) Ball Grid Array (BGA) component.
Once the mod is completed and the .ini file edited properly, the post mod power output values are changeable from within the UI and have been validated to be respective to those changes via measurements.

More
16 Mar 2016 13:25 #44645 by saidem
Hello,
I have already made the change by removing resistance and replacing the solder on a Devo 7E and it has improved the range. But what I do not know is if it's the same as replacing the module? Because-I would use my Devo 7E for gliders and airplanes of 2 or 3 meters. In Devo 7E is it the same module as the Devo8 or Devo10?
Desolated for my bad English, I try to improve by taking classes.
Thank you for your work. See you soon.

More
16 Mar 2016 13:31 #44646 by FDR
Not the same module, but it uses the same components (CYRF + PA/LNA).
The PA part of the chip is disabled, only the LNA is used, so in this form it is not even 10mW, but only about 7, because of the loss of that pass through...
After the mod it will be capable of the same output power as the DEVO 8 module, however the antenna of the 7E is not that good for long range fights, because it is fixed.

More
16 Mar 2016 14:25 #44650 by saidem
Thank you, that's a lot clearer. In my Devo 7E I pulled out the antenna from its housing and I put it horizontally inside, I think it's already better. I do not know much about the functioning of the antennas. Do you know the differences characteristics between Devo 7E and Devo8 Devo10 or by example? It also means I think if we replace the Devo7E module with a complete module CYRF 6936, this is not enough, we must also replace the antenna to have the same range?
Thanks a lot for your help.

More
16 Mar 2016 14:33 #44651 by RumbleBeeAL

saidem wrote: Thank you, that's a lot clearer. In my Devo 7E I pulled out the antenna from its housing and I put it horizontally inside, I think it's already better. I do not know much about the functioning of the antennas. Do you know the differences characteristics between Devo 7E and Devo8 Devo10 or by example? It also means I think if we replace the Devo7E module with a complete module CYRF 6936, this is not enough, we must also replace the antenna to have the same range?
Thanks a lot for your help.

I did the exact same thing with my stock internal antenna. Positioning it sideways seems to be the better orientation since the original was a fixed hollow tube. I then installed a RPSMA post to the original antenna tube so that I can easily install an external and positional antenna to the NRF24L01 (w/PA) module. The end result appears a bit cleaner and stock looking than having two or more antenna posts sticking out the top of the Devo 7e in my opinion.

More
16 Mar 2016 18:07 #44656 by saidem
OK, thank you Rumble Beall. I also wanted to know what that FDR thought about it?

More
16 Mar 2016 20:25 #44668 by FDR
Well, I wouldn' like to use an inner antenna for long range. There are a lot of metallic parts, which can interfere, like the handle, the switches, etc...
It is fine for smaller models though, which don't need too much range.
BTW the external twistable antenna mod is easy enough on the 7E...

More
18 Mar 2016 16:46 #44791 by saidem
Thank you for your answer.
I try to find a CYF 6936 module, but it is not obvious. I found this one, is that good?
www.aliexpress.com/item/2-4-G-module-CYR...6f-bc63-9eea0a5afb63

More
18 Mar 2016 18:12 #44795 by FDR
I don't know that module, but you can buy the original Walkera one:
www.ehirobo.com/spare-parts/transmitters...-upgrade-module.html

More
18 Mar 2016 18:18 #44797 by saidem
Thank you, yes I have seen, but the port is very expensive, the same price as the module, and I have not found other online.

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds