Upgrade from one build to a newer one?

More
03 Mar 2016 08:06 #44011 by jboehm
I have a nightly build that is several months old installed on my Devo 7e. I want to upgrade to a current one. Do I follow the same steps as the original install or is it a different procedure?

If for some reason I discover a problem with the new version is there anything preventing me from reinstalling the older deviation build?

I know I need to back up and restore my model, model icons, and hardware.ini files. Anything else?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2016 09:00 #44017 by TomPeer
Replied by TomPeer on topic Upgrade from one build to a newer one?
Yes, you can follow the same steps.
You can always go back to another built, if you still have a copy of that built. On the download section, you can find only the latest nightlies. Normaly you only need the latest.

If i go to another built, i also make a copy of tx.ini, then you do not need to do the calibration again. (Usually).

More
03 Mar 2016 10:53 #44021 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic Upgrade from one build to a newer one?
Before overwriting the new hardware.ini and tx.ini with your old backup, do a side-by-side comparison to make sure there's not something new there that your old file doesn't have (just in case)

More
03 Mar 2016 14:15 - 04 Mar 2016 16:31 #44028 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic Upgrade from one build to a newer one?
DFU + protocol files (from same firmware build zip)

If you save the older build zip file (with DFU and included protocol files) you will be able to flash back, if you need to.

!!!ALWAYS check your models (all servos, channels N/R, travels, etc.) before you fly!!!

It happend to me that suddenly the 120 CCPM mixer had one wrong running cyclic channel (had to change N<->R for one servo). Dunno why.
That was between two nightly build versions (older Indigo DSM test build version and offical nightly build).
So it depends how old the nightly build sources are and what changes (delta) went into the repository...

Just my 2cents

Thomas
Last edit: 04 Mar 2016 16:31 by Thomas.Heiss. Reason: one cyclic servo, not multiple

More
04 Mar 2016 01:33 #44055 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Upgrade from one build to a newer one?

Thomas.Heiss wrote: It happend to me that suddenly the 120 CCPM mixer had reversed cyclic channels. Dunno why.

We had a bug were they were backwards by default and kept requiring people to fix them. I suspect that fix may have done this.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
04 Mar 2016 16:34 #44101 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic Upgrade from one build to a newer one?
It happend when I upgraded from one of Indigos test build to deviation-devo10-v4.0.1-fcd0669: www.deviationtx.com/forum/protocol-devel...ktop&start=340#33913
Something had been changed in between.

Now there are again CCPM mixer code changes...will test them on my paddle heli next 2-3 months after nightly-build upgrade.
But I will loose again display timer off on cyclic input :-)

More
05 Mar 2016 19:13 #44158 by jboehm
Replied by jboehm on topic Upgrade from one build to a newer one?
Thanks all. The upgrade went smooth and fixed the problem I was having. That being, my new Floureon H101 would not respond to ch5 invert request. I was using a nightly from nov/dec 15. The new build fixed the problem.

One observation: After the upgrade, the first 2 binds took a long time. It cycled to partial bind right away but then didn't lock up for a min or 2. I played with the channels thinking the protocol added up/down bind. Some time later, while I played with all of the channels, it finished the bind. After the first couple of binds I think that strangeness has gone away.

Time to create page: 0.035 seconds