Radio reboot

More
28 Mar 2016 20:48 #45353 by Flo38
Radio reboot was created by Flo38
Hello,

I'am here to report an issue I experimented this afternoon.

Well in fact I had not done any flight for some months / years now and I have just realized my transmitter is in Devo8-2.1.1 version. So maybe this problem has already been solved...

I was setting up my heli (devo 8 - Genius CP), so basically navigating in the menus of the transmitter while the helicopter was powered on. Suddenly the transmitter powered off then on really quickly. I have to say that it was so quick I don't really suspect the software to be the origin of this issue. Nevertheless, when it turned on again, the transmitter had forgotten all the recent modifications I had just done and one oh these was swapping ch1 and ch3... So it was so quick that neither the transmitter nor the heli lost the bind and the rotor started at 50 % (ch3 elevator was at 50%, neutral position).

Wow ! I still do not want to use this transmitter with a larger helicopter.

Do you think it can be a software issue ? It seems more like a low current peak or a defect wire... I suppose that if it was a software problem it would have had to bind again and the rotor could not have started without a 0% throttle impulsion first. What do you think ?

Thank you and have a nice week !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2016 20:57 - 28 Mar 2016 20:57 #45354 by RedSleds
Replied by RedSleds on topic Radio reboot
Perhaps a result of loss of signal, and the heli's FC/Rx failsafe settings?

DEVO 10 - Multi-module with nRF24L01 +PA +LNA, A7105 +PA, & CC2500 +PA +LNA transceivers.
Nightly Build: v4.0.1-548bbf5 (6/9/2015)
Last edit: 28 Mar 2016 20:57 by RedSleds.

More
28 Mar 2016 20:59 #45355 by magic_marty
Replied by magic_marty on topic Radio reboot
You really should update to the latest version of Deviation cause a lot of bugs ect has been fixed and what you are describing sounds like a software bug to me..

More
28 Mar 2016 21:18 - 28 Mar 2016 21:25 #45357 by Flo38
Replied by Flo38 on topic Radio reboot

RedSleds wrote: Perhaps a result of loss of signal, and the heli's FC/Rx failsafe settings?

I am not really sure. I would say the failsafe setting is either 0% throttle or does not exist on this heli. But what i'am sure is that the throttle was wet up to channel 1 (and not the 3 at it has to be) after the transmitter restarted. I succeeded in stopping the rotor moving the elevator stick. I saw the transmitter restarting, or at least I saw the screen flashing off and on...

magic_marty : Yes I know. I just don't have any USB wire at the moment. But the reboot issues I have read speak about new bind issue. Whereas my transmitter did not unbind...
Last edit: 28 Mar 2016 21:25 by Flo38.

More
29 Mar 2016 13:56 - 29 Mar 2016 14:05 #45380 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic Radio reboot
I believe to remember in a V4.0.1 there also where some problems with mixer scrolling (advanced mixer GUI)?
If you scrolled down over the "virtual channels" to the end of the channel/mixer screen you run into an software error and this caused the TX to reboot?!
AFAIK this has been fixed in the nightly builds.

You can check BitBucket source code repository for mixer and reboot keywords if you want.

V2.1.1: Well, this version is soooo much old, that it is IMHO not even worthwhile to try to find out what happend :-)

If you do DeviationTX desk programming you really need to:
- take off main blades (probably I would not have on the GeniusCP too)
- remove 2 plugs from BL ESC<->motor so it can't spin even on throttle hold
- after the 1st basic setup (with the heli OFF) do a TX turn-off which actually saves your DeviationTX settings to model.ini file
- for some complex mixers there is the SAVE button, but on some severe error this maybe will not fully write your model.ini file??
- failsafe set to -100 in receiver (yes I understand that sudden swapping CH1<->CH3 after a TX reboot and sending out wrong 50% signal on wrong channel won't help you there)

Yes, I am flying Blade 450 3D (CP) heli with DeviationTX: www.deviationtx.com/forum/protocol-devel...port?start=400#45377
Last edit: 29 Mar 2016 14:05 by Thomas.Heiss.

More
29 Mar 2016 18:04 #45391 by Flo38
Hello

In fact I was not really at the begining of the set up. It was in flight testing... But OK.

I understand it is an old version. I just wanted to signal there might have reboot issues without unbinding. And finally it is not so much better than if it loses the bind.

More
29 Mar 2016 19:02 #45394 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic Radio reboot
But if it is a software issue we hardly can fix it - the code changed a lot since version 2.

More
29 Mar 2016 19:03 - 29 Mar 2016 19:08 #45395 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic Radio reboot
"In flight" testing Devo reboot? You where clicking thru menus in-flight? Weird.

But please notice, the problem seemed to have occured because you where first programming a (new) model, then flying it, without a Devo power off before to 100% save the (changed) model.ini.
So your new model setup seemed to be not saved before and maybe some gui bug reverted your model setup changes.

Well there have been code changes for 3 years in the nightly-build repository since your 2013 V2.1.1 branch/tag version...

You may want to make a video what the reboot problem exactly is (reproducibly) without letting us guess what transmitter menus you where clicking thru.
Once you have it reproducible on your side you may be able to compare it to the last nightly-build version if the problem still exists.

Maybe its the scrollable pull request #3 from 2014 commit, maybe not: bitbucket.org/deviationtx/deviation/pull...-568-569-570/commits
Last edit: 29 Mar 2016 19:08 by Thomas.Heiss.

More
31 Mar 2016 04:47 #45483 by Flo38
Ok, no. I was not testing the "reboot". I was testing the helicopter. And adjusting a bit the pitch curves, etc... But as you said, I had not shut down the transmitter before doing this. So the transmitter did not keep my change between ch1 and ch3 when it rebooted.

I will try the scrollable bug procedure. But I don't remember/know exactly what I had done before it happened.

The aim of this post is not really to solve the problem in the code if it exists, as it has evolded a lot since 2013, but to know whether I may have an electrical issue on my transmitter.

Thank you

Time to create page: 0.038 seconds