Devo F7 & FrSky XSR Rx

More
25 Jun 2016 10:38 - 25 Jun 2016 10:44 #51060 by SteveA
Devo F7 & FrSky XSR Rx was created by SteveA
Hello, I have been using my Devo F7 for a couple years now and really enjoy how it functions and feels in my hand. That said, I am currently building a 132mm micro quad copter and had no choice but to install the new FrSky XSR receiver using the SBus into my flight controller. I had to directly solder all my connections, even using the XSR Rx due to very limiting space constraints. Despite the hype, I am not a big fan of the Taranis transmitters and furthermore, a FrSky Taranis costs nearly twice as much as I spent on the parts for my new micro quad.

I have never used Deviation software before and noticed the Devo F7 is only available in the nightly builds. My question, if I download Deviation to my Devo F7 would I have control over 7 channels via the FrSky XSR receiver? Would I need to do further mods to get it to bind? If it is possible what would it take to get it running? I really want to continue using my Devo F7 if at all possible and would really appreciate the assistance. I did not connect anything to receive telemetry and am not looking to receive it on the Devo F7 either. Thank you
Last edit: 25 Jun 2016 10:44 by SteveA.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jun 2016 13:34 #51061 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Devo F7 & FrSky XSR Rx
First question: do you have a CC2500 module installed in your F7?

If not there's no way for it to work...

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/

More
25 Jun 2016 14:56 #51064 by SteveA
Replied by SteveA on topic Devo F7 & FrSky XSR Rx

Cereal_Killer wrote: First question: do you have a CC2500 module installed in your F7?

If not there's no way for it to work...

Thank you! Unfortunately no, I have not, but for $10 at Banggood I would definitely be up for the challenge. Is the BG CC2500 module one you would recommend or are there better options in your opinion? Thanks again! m.banggood.com/CC2500-PA-LNA-Romote-Wire...F24L01-p-922595.html

More
25 Jun 2016 19:17 #51069 by SteveA
The BG CC2500 PA is on its way. Thanks again

More
09 Jul 2016 20:47 - 09 Jul 2016 20:51 #51489 by SteveA
My CC2500 module should arrive any day now, but in the meantime I've uploaded the 5.0 F7 nightly, installed an RP-SMA connector with pigtail and a 5dB LP antenna. I also have a precut and tinned wire harness and jumpers ready to go, but I did have a couple questions about the Deviation software itself?

How do I bind to a D4R-ii using Deviation and to your knowledge has anyone been able to keep the Devo F7 Video functionality while using Deviation? In the latter case I suspect not, but it would sure be nice. In the former case, I thought I would get Deviation up and running with a D4Rii I have first, get used to the software, then try using the XSR installed in my new quad. Thanks again
Last edit: 09 Jul 2016 20:51 by SteveA.

More
09 Jul 2016 22:23 - 09 Jul 2016 22:26 #51491 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic Devo F7 & FrSky XSR Rx
binding a frsky rx to a devo tx uses the same method as binding to a frsky tx bar one thing, and that is that you have to set the correct protocol in the model menu on the devo tx's. you need to set Frsky for 'D' series rx's and FrskyX for 'X' series rx's. one thing to keep in mind though is that depending on which cc2500 module you have bought it might require adjusting the freq-fine/freq-course settings in the protocol options before it will bind

I'm not sure about the video function bud as I've not been following the 'f' series development that closely
Last edit: 09 Jul 2016 22:26 by HappyHarry.

More
12 Jul 2016 21:53 #51589 by SteveA
I really appreciate the help guys. I've been reading through the forums quite a bit lately, and I really like the simulator functionality for the Devo F7, and just want to start building some models already. Unfortunately, I'm at an impasse I'm having difficulty overcoming.

This is probably something you don't hear often, or maybe you do, but I don't travel anywhere without my work laptop. It's a decent IBM machine with an i7 processor and plenty of ram, storage, and other features, and I use it at work and home at equal measure. I have quite a bit of access for it being firewall protected, and am able to download many types of executables. However, unfortunately I do run into the occasional application I do not have sufficient access to open, and unless the program is business related there's really not much I can do. Well, the Walkera DFuse application is one of those I am unable to execute. I can open the Upload Tool or run Python script no problem, but I will be unable to use that DFuse Tool, and I haven't found any workarounds yet. Yes, I could use a friends' computer, but I would really like to use this specific laptop as I would like to build models and test ideas on my lunch breaks and at home during evening hours. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

More
13 Jul 2016 16:43 #51610 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Devo F7 & FrSky XSR Rx
Actually, we hear from Windows users who are having issues with the Walkera DFUSE tool fairly often. Windows needing drivers loaded just seems to create issues, whereas OSX/Linux/etc. having them pre-installed doesn't.

The Walkera DFUSE tool is walkera's doing. They obfuscated the binary format, presumably out of some misguided notion of protecting their IP. You have three options, in order of increasing difficulty. They all require you to run other software, so you may have issues with them as well.

1) Use the deviation uploader found at www.deviationtx.com/downloads-new/category/161-dfu-usb-tool

2) Use virtualbox, and install Linux in a VM and use the deviation uploader on it instead. You could also install a version of Windows without the limitations you have and use the Walkera dfuse on it.

3) Reflash the bootloader on the µcu in your 7e with one that doesn't use the Walkera ofuscation, and then use any of the standard DFU tools to flash upgrades. This will require having an unobfuscated build available, which isn't uploaded by default. But doing your own builds provides a lot more flexibility.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
19 Jul 2016 11:15 - 19 Jul 2016 11:31 #51884 by SteveA

mwm wrote: Actually, we hear from Windows users who are having issues with the Walkera DFUSE tool fairly often. Windows needing drivers loaded just seems to create issues, whereas OSX/Linux/etc. having them pre-installed doesn't.

The Walkera DFUSE tool is walkera's doing. They obfuscated the binary format, presumably out of some misguided notion of protecting their IP. You have three options, in order of increasing difficulty. They all require you to run other software, so you may have issues with them as well.

1) Use the deviation uploader found at www.deviationtx.com/downloads-new/category/161-dfu-usb-tool

2) Use virtualbox, and install Linux in a VM and use the deviation uploader on it instead. You could also install a version of Windows without the limitations you have and use the Walkera dfuse on it.

3) Reflash the bootloader on the µcu in your 7e with one that doesn't use the Walkera ofuscation, and then use any of the standard DFU tools to flash upgrades. This will require having an unobfuscated build available, which isn't uploaded by default. But doing your own builds provides a lot more flexibility.

Thank you for the help! Although, I do not believe those options will function on my Devo F7 using my computer for the reasons below:

In reference to suggestion #1 in your comment. I was able to download the Deviation Uploader to my laptop, but unfortunately I am unable to connect to my Devo F7 for one reason or another. I have tried downloading the drivers several times and rebooting to no avail. I tried different USB ports and cables, but nothing seems to work.

In reference to suggestion #2 in your comment, unfortunately I am unable to download Virtual Box to my computer without admin permission. grrr

So that leaves suggestion #3, but since I would still need to use the upload tool I believe I would still run into the same issues I'm having now with connectivity.

Oh well, thank you for the assistance anyways. Just to see, my wife has an old MacBook Pro and I was able to download the Deviation Uploader tool connecting to the Devo F7, but after downloading the latest nightly dfu I am unsure of how to proceed further. Using her MacBook I am unable to download the Walkera DFuse tool, but to be honest I don't know how to proceed using the .fs program described in the wiki. I tried pasting the code PB had listed into Python 2.7.1, but nothing happened other than a few spacing errors that were detected. So I cleaned those up and tried to rerun, but nothing. I'm afraid this is beyond my technical level at this point, and Im thinking there is an assumption that folks understand how to develop in Python to run this stuff? I'm just stuck I guess. Or maybe I'm just overthinking it and/or missing something? Any ideas? Thanks again!
Last edit: 19 Jul 2016 11:31 by SteveA.

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds