APM 2.8 / devo 7E hex - flipping forwards on power

More
18 Jul 2016 14:38 #51828 by tboneportly
Hi
I've seen a few threads on this but no obvious solutions (apart from put the firmware back to 3.2.1, or the board is stuffed)

I'm running an APM 2.8 board with v3.2.1 firmware
Devo 7E tx - running deviation
Devo RX701 rx

F550 hex - using hexa X motor layout as per this - ardupilot.org/copter/docs/connect-escs-a...ght=connect%20motors

as soon as I power up enough to lift the hex flips forward - I've checked my motors rotate correctly, and the props are correct as they have lift, and the hex is responding to the tx as I expect (just before the flip)

any clues?

cheers!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2016 19:58 #51845 by HappyHarry
you've probably done this but I'll suggest it anyway, calibrate the gyro and accelerometer. also check the channel output screen on the tx without the hex bound and be sure none of you mixes are giving unwanted signals. check props are in the correct position and orientation and the motors are spinning the correct direction etc

More
19 Jul 2016 08:28 #51874 by tboneportly
Replied by tboneportly on topic APM 2.8 / devo 7E hex - flipping forwards on power
I've calibrated the board using mission planner, checked the motors and props (repeatedly!)

I haven't set up anything complicated on the tx - just the FMOD switch, and both options on that are set to stabilise

I'll have a look at the channel output screen and see if that makes any sort of sense to me... steep learning curve :D

I am thinking that the probably the flight controller is bad - didn't do enough research on that one ... :(

cheers!

More
19 Jul 2016 09:59 - 19 Jul 2016 10:04 #51880 by aMax
Did you use subtrim on your transmitter to center Roll / Pitch / Yaw channels ?

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02
Last edit: 19 Jul 2016 10:04 by aMax.

More
19 Jul 2016 10:10 #51881 by tboneportly
Replied by tboneportly on topic APM 2.8 / devo 7E hex - flipping forwards on power
nope, I'll have a look for that too, thanks!

More
19 Jul 2016 10:19 #51882 by tboneportly
just looked, subtrim for ELE AIL THR RUD are all 0.0 - is this correct?

cheers!

More
19 Jul 2016 13:42 - 19 Jul 2016 13:48 #51888 by aMax

tboneportly wrote: just looked, subtrim for ELE AIL THR RUD are all 0.0 - is this correct?

cheers!

That are your trims and I assume the output value will be around 1520 on the missionplaner and not 1500.
ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-radio-control-calibration.html

....use subtrim to correct this.

Edit:
If the cannel range is not between 1000 and 2000, you will have to increase it with a different scale.,e.g -120 and +120...or even more.

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02
Last edit: 19 Jul 2016 13:48 by aMax. Reason: edit

More
22 Jul 2016 16:01 #52010 by tboneportly
in mission planner the outputs are:

with sticks centered - left - right
Roll: 1500 - 1105 - 1900
Yaw: 1500 - 1101 - 1901
pitch: 1500 - 1101 - 1900

so that looks right....

I change the motor config to Hexa + to see whether it made any difference, now it flips backwards!

I think, unless there is something wrong with my calibration somewhere it must be the board?

cheers for the help!

More
22 Jul 2016 22:55 #52029 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic APM 2.8 / devo 7E hex - flipping forwards on power
Did you go threw the whole vehicle setup? PROPER acc calibration? Verify sensors read right?

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/

More
23 Jul 2016 01:16 #52033 by magic_marty
Replied by magic_marty on topic APM 2.8 / devo 7E hex - flipping forwards on power
Sounds to me the gyro is reversed or perhaps the board orientation is set wrong..Do you have the board mounted correctly with the arrow pointing forward ...Check the orientation parameter it should be set to zero if i remember correctly

More
25 Jul 2016 08:40 - 25 Jul 2016 08:49 #52126 by tboneportly
board is definately pointing the right way, and I've been through the whole calibration routine in mission planner several times, I did wonder if the fact that the GPS signal is rubbish would affect things, but I have done the compass set up outside with a good signal, so I doubt that

there is definately a rogue setting as I can just about keep the hex level with full forward pitch, but not get it in the air as as soon as the throttle goes up enough it flips, I've checked the motor rotation and props repeatedly, so unless the diagrams on arducopter are wrong it shouldn't be that!

attached the diagram of the motor layout

is there some way of calibrating the gyros using the tx (as my MJX 600 could do that) or is it only done in mission planner?

thanks for all the help!
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Jul 2016 08:49 by tboneportly.

More
25 Jul 2016 08:53 #52127 by M8A4X
Hi there!

Please check the following:
- each ESC is connected to it´s correct port at the APM <-- check with diagrams in mission planner for correct motor/ESC number
- each Motors spins in it´s correct direction
- each propeller is mounted to the correct motor (produce lift when turned in motor spin direction)

I once had my ESC´s hooked up incorrect to the flightcontroler... resulted in a flip after takeoff.

More
25 Jul 2016 12:34 #52133 by tboneportly
yes, all the ESCs are correct (as per the diagram I attached), the motors spin the correct way, and the props are correct according to arducopter (I put which props are on which on the diagram)

I've tried Hexa X configuration (flips forward) and Hexa + (flips backwards), can't even get it in the air!

cheers

Terry

More
25 Jul 2016 16:48 #52145 by M8A4X
Hm, ok...
How about teaching the APM (or more directly the ESC´s) the throttle min / max stick positions?
Here is a link to a corresponding youtube vid: ESC Calibration "All-at-once" method

Before doing this, please take the propellers off!

More
26 Jul 2016 15:17 #52170 by tboneportly
OK, reset the board in mission planner, recalibrated everything, done the all in one ESC calibration (did them individually last time)

now I get the bad gyro health message when I plug the GPS module in, but that can wait - I'll give it a try outside again, see what happens and report back!

is there any where is mission planner where I can see the motor speeds?

cheers!

More
26 Jul 2016 15:42 #52172 by M8A4X
Just did a quick search on google for APM Bad Gyro Health error message in mission planner.
It seems to be a hardware fault on the APM board.

It is strange that this error occurs to you only when you plug in the external GPS.
Without it there is no bad gyro message? If so, maybe your GPS module causes the problem?

Flying with a bad gyro is a bad idea as the APM would never know when it is level.

More
26 Jul 2016 16:36 #52178 by tboneportly
that's fixed itself with a the old unplug it trick :)

More
26 Jul 2016 17:29 #52180 by magic_marty
Replied by magic_marty on topic APM 2.8 / devo 7E hex - flipping forwards on power
Careful plugging in or unplugging things with the board powered on it could blow the 3.3v regulator which would also cause a bad gyro health message..

More
27 Jul 2016 14:58 #52213 by tboneportly
we have a working drone!

I reset the board using mission planner, recalibrated everything, recalibrated the gyros using the all at once method, and hooked up the gps / compass

no idea why it worked this time, but it did, and I managed a full battery worth of flight - bit unstable and drifting slightly, but that's fixable

now for setting up flight modes, the telemetry and camera... expect more stupid questions!

thank you all for the help and advice
cheers!

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds