Some Noob Questions about deviation

More
03 Aug 2016 00:41 #52403 by Infamous2117
Some Noob Questions about deviation was created by Infamous2117
Hi

I have recently deviated and installed the NRF204L01 module in my DEVO 10, and i fly about 8 of my toy grade quads with it.

I usually just use other peoples .ini files to control them, so i am "Somewhat" familiar with how it all works.

I am a little confused as to why i would need a model .ini for a walkera rodeo 150 or any other walkera quad...

If a stock standard DEVO 7 that comes with the quad works out of the box then why couldnt i choose the walkera protocol and start flying?

I have briefly read through the tutorial on how to make your own model ini but im not 100 percent confident on making my own.

I have put a request in the thread for the rodeo if anybody has one for the DEVO 10

www.deviationtx.com/forum/model-requests...rodeo-150-quadcopter

Also i want to thank the community for there help, since installing deviation about a month ago i have made some videos, feel free to check them out.

www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL88alfHSJ..._vMcr8k3QojjrHMDFRRw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2016 00:55 #52404 by C0ckpitvue 777
Replied by C0ckpitvue 777 on topic Some Noob Questions about deviation
There are walkera protocols in the deviation firm ware,maybe someone can chime in but I believe dsmx and dsm2 is the protocol you need to fly the rodeo,although I'm not 100%sure.

More
03 Aug 2016 01:26 #52405 by Infamous2117
Replied by Infamous2117 on topic Some Noob Questions about deviation
My understanding is dsmx and dsm2 were only achievable by deviating the transmitter.

So how does the stock DEVO 7 bind to it out of the box?

Id prefer to be able to use my DEVO 10 with the BNF version.

More
03 Aug 2016 01:43 #52406 by C0ckpitvue 777
Replied by C0ckpitvue 777 on topic Some Noob Questions about deviation
You can fly all walkera models with the stock chip cyr in it,f before and after you update to deviation firmware.This might help you out a little www.deviationtx.com/wiki/supported_models

More
03 Aug 2016 02:02 #52408 by Infamous2117
Yeah i know about the supported models.

But why are people requesting model ini's for this quad if the devo works with it out of the box with deviation installed?

Check the request section, there is more than one.

I was under the impression that my deviated DEVO 10 would work with it, but obviously not if people are requesting .ini files for it.....

More
03 Aug 2016 02:11 #52409 by Infamous2117
I should clarify.

If i bought a BNF rodeo 150 and wanted to use it with a non deviated DEVO 10, i am almost positive i wouldnt need to do much tweaking to the tx to get it to bind and use all flight modes etc....

So why do i need an ini file to fly a rodeo 150 with a DEVIATED Devo 10?

More
03 Aug 2016 04:54 #52413 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Some Noob Questions about deviation
If you buy an RTF aircraft, then either 1) the transmitter isn't computerized, so no configuration is needed, or 2) the manufacturer has already done all the setup up for that aircraft. If you buy the same thing in BNF or some similar format, then you generally have to configure the transmitter, even if it's nothing more than checking the channel reverse switches.

Personally, I suspect you're wrong about not needing to tweak the 10 much. I know I'd have to tweak mine to get flight modes, because when I bought it, Walkera was an RC helicopter company, and none of their aircraft had flight modes. Except for maybe switching the gyro on a CP heli between HH and rate mode if you were sufficiently masochistic to want to fly in rate mode. Possibly they've fixed that in the default model in later firmware, but I doubt it. It's not clear to me that I could get flight modes AT ALL on the software that was on it when I used it, but I did exactly one flight on that software to verify the hardware before I deviated it.

Walker knows every aircraft that you'll try and fly with their transmitter, because they make them all. So they can set things up so that flight mode is on one channel, make that the default, and make sure that isn't used for something that would be a problem on aircraft that don't have a flight mode. Or fix it in the RTF configuration and in whatever they provide for transmitters for non-RTF versions.

Because deviation is used to fly a much much MUCH wider range of aircraft, the default configuration has to be a very simple 4-channel set up (and people have argued that we should strip that down some). Flight mode could be on pretty much any channel beyond 4, so we can't provide it as a default configuration. We can't even provide a per-protocol default that will work properly on the popular protocols, because they get used by different companies that don't necessarily follow the original manufacturers suggestions. So you'll need a model.ini file for anything beyond basic four channel operation.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
03 Aug 2016 12:42 #52417 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic Some Noob Questions about deviation
Just to clarify, a model.ini is stored settings for a model, that happens to be (by design) in a format that can be copied to and from your transmitter for sharing and backup purposes. The stock devo also uses config files, but these are not really in a format that's readily shared or edited on a computer; the PNF devos will have a config file pre-copied to the TX (hopefully) to suit the vehicle they come with. If your TX didn't come with that vehicle, then you likely will NOT be able to just use a stock devo straight out of the box, you'll have to setup all of the channels etc yourself, just like you would in deviation, but nowhere near as powerful.

You don't NEED to download ini files to get it to work, you just need to configure a model slot to have the right settings; this slot will have an associated ini as a matter of course.
I virtually never download ini's, I create all of my settings onscreen on my TX, and just have backups of my created ini's hanging around just in case. your rodeo should have come with a manual that will tell you all you need to know to configure the channels in deviation, but often (usually?) if you search around you'll find "undocumented" settings that you can implement that Walkera never included in their pre-loaded files.

Time to create page: 0.034 seconds