new member,new venture , any help appreciated

More
23 Aug 2016 13:07 #53031 by 7Emulti3
Greetings , I have been highly impressed with this work and purchased a Devo 7E and a 3in 1 multi module. I was hoping for a little guidance before I break it open and attempt the mods
Is the modification to both hardware and firmware irreversable.?
My understanding is that the3in1 one hardware mod requires version 5.0 deviation firmware and the range mod must be activated to allow Frysky protocols.
With the 3 in 1 module do you effectively have access to four modules and their respective protocols CC2500 NRF24L01 A7105 and the CYRF6936 being the native DEVO module?
Would the critical path be to first activate the range mod, second flash the appropriate v5.0 firmware then thirdly install the module. When attempting the range mod it has been suggested that one way is bridging the diode with conductive ink . Is it necessary to remove the diode then bridge with ink. or just short via covering it with the ink
.Forgive any ignorance , I am new to this having very basic arduino experience only once flashing a chip, I have practiced with SMD soldering and will attempt the deviation 3in1 mod when I feel conceptually clear and experienced enough on soldering practice PCB boards and smd devices .
There is some reference to electro static discharge. Is it totally necessary to follow strict protocols or can one just make sure its relatively humid and be aware and carefull with handling the module and the transmiter hardware. I don't have a mat or ESD grounded soldering iron . Thanks ,hoping to hear from the experienced folk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Aug 2016 13:32 #53032 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic new member,new venture , any help appreciated
See the 3-in-1 and 4-in-1 thread:

3-in-1: CC2500 (FrSky), A7105, NRF24L01

Range mod: CYRF Walkera/DSM/J6Pro hf module, has nothing to do with CC2500 / FrSky

For the 7E with the hardware limited CYRF a 4-in-1 (including new CYRF module) probably have been better

FrSky protocol enabled: as soon as you install CC2500 module and activate it in hardware.ini

Thomas

More
23 Aug 2016 16:10 #53042 by mwm
The firmware mod is just flashing new firmware. It's reversible; just flash the original firmware back. You can find copies in the downloads section.

My recommendation is to always install deviation first. Not only is it reversible, but the hardware mods can't be used or tested until you do that.

The hardware mods are reversible to the extent that your hardware skills are up to the task. Taking out RF extra RF modules should be easy. The so-called DIODE mod, maybe not - but I have no experience with it.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
24 Aug 2016 01:40 #53058 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic new member,new venture , any help appreciated
Just to expand on that, if you don't intend using the cyrf module for longer distances, ie. for devo or dsm2/x protocols with larger planes/helis/quads, you do NOT need to do the range mod. And if you are using these protocols, but only park-flying small stuff, the stock unmodified cyrf may well be sufficient, but do some thorough range-testing first.

If you aren't using those protocols at all then it doesn't matter a damn.

Time to create page: 0.035 seconds