Fixed_id queries

More
24 Dec 2016 16:20 #57202 by vmsda
Fixed_id queries was created by vmsda
I assume these truths to be self evident:
1. If a RxA binds to a modelX.ini file with a fixed-id coded in TxA, the Rx is "stamped" with that fixed-id associated with TxA.
2. A modelY.ini in TxA will fail to bind to RxA if it presents a different fixed-id.
3. A modelY.ini in TxB will fail to bind to RxA even if it presents the same fixed_id.
4. As a corollary: every model.ini file should be specified with a different id to avoid binding a model.ini file to the wrong aircraft.
How deluded am I?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Dec 2016 16:32 - 24 Dec 2016 16:43 #57204 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Fixed_id queries
1, & 4 are true. 2 is true if you're meaning reestablishing the link. Actually re-binding will clear out any old fixed ID and set a new one and in that case ANY model.ini in ANY transmitter WILL BIND to RxA because that's what the bind process is (but again I assume you mean reestablishing the link after a power cycle)

3 is true in stock DeviationTx FW however any number of Devo transmitters can be forced to ID themselves (called TXID) the same therefore allowing the situation in your scenario 3 to be false.

See here for an explanation on that:
www.deviationtx.com/forum/how-to/6358-ho...eral-tx-to-one-model

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/
Last edit: 24 Dec 2016 16:43 by Cereal_Killer.

More
24 Dec 2016 17:03 #57208 by vmsda
Replied by vmsda on topic Fixed_id queries
Thanks, Cereal_Killer. All possible usages of the parameter are therefore documented.

More
24 Dec 2016 20:14 #57211 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Fixed_id queries
Actually No. 3. is a Spectrum feature, but I don't remember how they call it.
In deviation it is not true until you assign different fixed IDs. It's your choice.
I like to have different configs for the same model...

More
25 Dec 2016 06:13 #57225 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic Fixed_id queries
Spektrum ModelMatch.

For DSMx protocol I do not use FixedIDs in DeviationTX model configs so far....I thought I was OK with ModelMatch automatically.
Would have to re-test 1-3 models to make sure....

Actually you do NOT want to fly a 450 3D flybar heli with a glider / warbird model config, neither you would want to fly the StrykerQ as delta/elevon wing with your 450 flybar settings. You really want ModelMatch ;)

If you want to share 1-3 model configs, well then you would have to share the same Fixed modelID, which is not possible on Spektrum transmitters and this requires a re-bind to the #2, #3 model.

More
25 Dec 2016 21:43 #57235 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic Fixed_id queries
Thomas, deviation DSM binding with no fixed id means all the receivers will have the same bind info. The receivers will connect to the tx with any DSM model file with fixed id of none, which is probably not what you want. Each model should be given a different fixed id. I guess Spektrum transmitters assign different id values automatically?

There's a request in this thread to change DSM protocols to auto-bind if fixed id is set to none (like Devo and Flysky) and I've made a test build. If this is adopted it will (partly) break your model files (they'll still work but deviation will go into bind mode every time if the fixed id is set to none. You'll have to exit bind mode and then the receivers will connect.)

I do think the auto-bind change is a good idea. It probably should be that way for all protocols capable of a true bind just to encourage users to set some fixed id value before binding. But I'm hesitant to make any changes that would break existing model files.

Maybe we should put a random fixed id in the default model files instead of them all having the same value...

More
26 Dec 2016 00:32 - 30 Dec 2016 22:00 #57240 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Fixed_id queries

hexfet wrote: Maybe we should put a random fixed id in the default model files instead of them all having the same value...

I think this is a great idea, I always ALWAYS set a fixed ID but sometimes worry (because I'm crazy) that I've already used that number (I have a tendency to come up with the same repeating number sequences subconsciously when attempting to make up random numbers in my head). For the last ~6 months now if I'm setting up a new model i just pull up a random number generator on my phone just so I can trust I'm entering a truly random number, stupid pattern loving human brain...

Is there an easy way to get STM32 to deliver a random number? I've played with randomization on 8bit PIC and AVR and it's not simple to do (in either of those 8bit architectures, especially not AVR)...

On AVR it's nearly impossible, on PIC I can setup a randomization table then feed it I crazy (but solvable) algorithm to come up with X, Y coordinates on the table for which random solution to use that time

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/
Last edit: 30 Dec 2016 22:00 by Cereal_Killer.

More
26 Dec 2016 03:38 #57242 by gdenton
Replied by gdenton on topic Fixed_id queries
To satisfy one user's request for auto-bind you are willing to (partly) break everybody else's model files that have fixed id set to none?
All of my ~40 model files have fixed id set to none...
Can you not make this an option?

More
26 Dec 2016 15:29 #57251 by hexfet
Don't panic. That's why it's under discussion. No change would be merged without some consensus. A config option is one possibility.

But I think those model files are broken already, at least as far as the fixed id functionality. Any of those 40 DSM receivers will respond when the tx is powered on with any of the 40 models. The purpose of fixed id is to prevent that from happening by having a different fixed id for each model.

Seems like it would be better for deviation to manage fixed id automatically to enforce this safety aspect. Remove it from the GUI. Use a separate option for auto-bind. If for some reason it was desired to have two models share a fixed id the model.ini file could be edited. But managing fixed id automatically seems non-trivial - supporting trading/copying of model.ini files, changing fixed id on model Copy, etc. Needs more thought - comments invited.

More
28 Dec 2016 22:45 #57310 by magic_marty
Replied by magic_marty on topic Fixed_id queries
How about adding a warning in the tx settings? Something like "Warning the fixed ID is already in use would you like to continue?"
That way the user could choose to change or if they wanted to use the same ID proceed with the bind process..

More
29 Dec 2016 10:19 #57318 by FDR
The firmware probably knows only about the loaded model's data, it doesn't load all of them for checking the fixed IDs.

I think we should remove the fixed id from the default model.ini files, and generate a random id with the added model slot number each time it auto binds, but only in case of auto binding, i.e. when the fixed id is empty. The auto generated id wouldn't be saved to the model.ini file...
I would leave the fixed id field editable and let the user decide what id he wants to use for his different (or same) models.

We would also need an error message for those protocols, which are not capable of auto bind, and the fixed id is empty...

More
30 Dec 2016 17:37 #57366 by hexfet
I like the idea of removing the default fixed id. The rest is essentially what happens today except fixed id is zero instead of random. But the bind info is still made unique by the transmitter id so there's no chance of two deviation radios interfering with each other.

I can't think of any way to make auto-bind backward compatible without a configuration option, and that seems awkward. Looking at the code it seems the way auto-bind works for Devo and Flysky is the intended design, but DSM (and Frsky) didn't follow the intention. However a breaking fix is not likely to be merged by anyone but PB.

Are there any reasons to have multiple models with the same fixed id other than when moving a receiver from aircraft to aircraft?

Current thought is to remove the default fixed id from model.ini. If no fixed id is set when the bind button is pressed, then generate and store a random id (as cereal_killer suggested). The fixed id stays in the GUI for cases where a user wants to force a particular value. This doesn't solve the auto-bind issue but would help prevent users from inadvertently binding multiple models with the same fixed id.

More
30 Dec 2016 19:58 #57369 by FDR
Yes, I use more then one config for the same model.
For example I have a separate trainer config, which is way more complex and is tamed down, but I use an other one if I fly it myself.
One can have a separate config for sports or indoor flying and an other one for 3D ...etc.

Time to create page: 0.047 seconds