Walkera +deviation firmware+which simulator?

• stein@office-center.no
  • stein@office-center.no's Avatar Topic Author
More
28 Jan 2013 14:55 - 28 Jan 2013 14:56 #5623 by stein@office-center.no
Walkera +deviation firmware+which simulator? was created by stein@office-center.no
I have made an order for Walkera Devo 10 and will upgrade it wit deviation software to fly blad helis and who knows which other birds will show up in the future...

If I buy the Phoenix - RC Simulator, will I need something additional to be able to use the Simulator SW?

Any other Simulator You would recommend?

Stein
Norway
Last edit: 28 Jan 2013 14:56 by stein@office-center.no. Reason: misspelled

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2013 15:28 #5625 by Scream
Hi Stein!

You will most likely need some kind of USB dongle to use your DEVO10 with a sim.

After some reading, I decided to try a "12in1" USB dongle. If you do some research on google, you will see how practical they seem. It still hasn't arrived yet though, so I cant speak from personal experience, but it has a lot of positive internet reviews!

Also, certain versions of Deviation might not work properly with sims because some of the versions use the sim output (PPM?) for debug purposes. I'm not 100% sure, currently trying to research this...

I just got my devo10 about a week ago (with gunmetal finish!), and I'm very pleased with it, just make sure to move your AUX4/AUX5 when you calibrate the sticks or it will seem like those dials are dead!

Cheers!
-=S=-

Cheers!
-=S=-

More
28 Jan 2013 17:13 #5630 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Walkera +deviation firmware+which simulator?
Please do not discuss the '12 in 1' style dongles here. Their only practical purpose is to encourage piracy (especially in the context of Phoenix).
If you buy Phoenix, I believe the default jack it comes with works fine in the Walkera TX. I can verify when I get home (I know I use Phoenix with my Devo TX, I just don't remember if I have an additional adapter on it)

I really enjoy Phoenix, and think it is well worth the money, personally.

More
28 Jan 2013 17:29 #5636 by stevecox
Replied by stevecox on topic Walkera +deviation firmware+which simulator?
I have an original Phoenix, also a Devo8S with a V911 mod. This allows me to use the HK-TR6A V2 with 6ch PPM out of the rx into a wireless sim like simstick, the phoenix dongle must also be plugged into the simstick and then you can fly wirelessly with the tx which is great. Google, there are other wireless sims. But most of all I agree with PB, be fair and do it the legal way.

Adelaide

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
28 Jan 2013 17:38 #5641 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Walkera +deviation firmware+which simulator?

Scream wrote: ...certain versions of Deviation might not work properly with sims because some of the versions use the sim output (PPM?) for debug purposes...

The official releases will always work with PPM enabled, I suppose (PB, correct me). Only testing and debugging versions use the PPM out as a connection to a terminal.

• stein@office-center.no
More
28 Jan 2013 18:04 #5645 by stein@office-center.no
Replied by stein@office-center.no on topic Walkera +deviation firmware+which simulator?
I always use licensed software!! Maybe because selling business software is one of my tasks at work. :)

PhracturedBlue: If You could check this out when You get home it would have been nice - I'm looking forward to hear from You again.

Stein

More
28 Jan 2013 19:06 #5655 by PhracturedBlue
I don't need to go home actually.
The dongle that comes with Phoenix has a 1/8" male stereo jack. That is the one I use, and it works well with Deviation. It is possible that to use it with Walkera's firmware you would need a stereo->mono jack (Radio Shack or buy the $2 adapter with Phoenix). I've never used Phoenix with Walkera's firmware, so I can't speak to that.

• stein@office-center.no
More
28 Jan 2013 19:58 #5663 by stein@office-center.no
Replied by stein@office-center.no on topic Walkera +deviation firmware+which simulator?
Thanks!

I'll be using it with deviation sw since I now just own a Blade 120SR so i just have to find the Phoenix sw somewhere - maybe from a local store here in Norway, but may be cheaper from a website somewhere - any recommondations?

Stein

More
28 Jan 2013 20:01 #5664 by Scream
Hi Gentlemen,

My apologies... I'm super noobish and shouldn't be giving advice yet... just tryin to contribute the little I can at this point.

After going blind reading different forums that dongle was recommended but I thought we needed something special to use with our upgraded radios. Phoenix looks great and I cant wait to try it and do not condone piracy, I just thought we couldn't use the dongle that came with it. My bad.

I guess I also got mixed up about how that sim jack works. Thanks Rbe2012, I will be sure to "downgrade" to release version 2.1.1 before I attempt to use a sim.

Cheers!
-=S=-

Cheers!
-=S=-

More
28 Jan 2013 20:09 #5666 by Hexperience
Replied by Hexperience on topic Walkera +deviation firmware+which simulator?
I can't figure out how to get ppm out of the jack in the stock firmware... I've got my 12 here and trying to see if it works.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

More
28 Jan 2013 20:29 #5667 by PhracturedBlue
Plugging in your Tx to the cable while it is connected to the PC (which should be already running your simulator) and then power on the Tx. At least on the Devo8, I beleive that should be sufficient for it to detect the cable and switch to trainer/simulator mode. Basically it is looking for a value on one of the 3 pins to indicate the cable is connected. I just can't remember which one. This may be why you need a mono jack (to short Tx to Rx to enable this mode)

More
28 Jan 2013 20:33 - 28 Jan 2013 20:35 #5669 by Hexperience
Yep, thanks... I had to actually look that up in the manual.. RTFM they say.

Anyway yes, it works no problems, no adapter needed. That's on a devo12 with stock firmware. I would think it's the same with the 8.

ps. the stock firmware is very odd... When I got my devo8 I turned it on, looked at it for about 6 seconds then flashed deviation... :)

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
Last edit: 28 Jan 2013 20:35 by Hexperience.

More
28 Jan 2013 20:52 #5672 by Pixel166
Replied by Pixel166 on topic Walkera +deviation firmware+which simulator?
I'm using a devo 6S, with deviation (compiled from sources a few weeks ago), and I have a legal Phoenix RC, with an official walkera adpater.
It's working great !

More
28 Jan 2013 21:01 #5674 by Hexperience

stein@office-center.no wrote:

Stein
Norway

Regarding this question... NO. I just paid $200 for unReal flight. Looks really bad compared to Phoenix. I'm sure it's a good sim as far as settings and customizing go, but Phoenix looks beautiful compared to RF on my laptop. (which is a pretty good gaming laptop by the way. ATI HD5800.)

More
28 Jan 2013 21:18 #5676 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic Walkera +deviation firmware+which simulator?
I played with both RFlight and Phoenix before settling on Phoenix.

There is also a good source of info on RC Groups how to set it up using your programmable controller for the most realistic feel using your actual models configs.

More
29 Jan 2013 05:48 #5696 by sbstnp
I bought Phoenix originally and I thought it was everything I needed.

A few weeks ago I had a bit of RealFLight time at a friend and man I wish I had it too.

Why? User created models, which you CAN'T have in Phoenix.

Want a goblin? No problem.
Want a TRex Nitro? Same

And I'm not even starting to talk about the thousands of planes.

Plus, modifications are much easier done in RealFlight than Phoenix.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire

More
29 Jan 2013 07:22 - 29 Jan 2013 07:36 #5701 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic Walkera +deviation firmware+which simulator?
I guess it depends what you want it for. I frankly don't even download all the new models and scenery updates anymore.

I have created, by editing existing models, models of 250 450, 600 sizes, with and without flybars, which I try to get as close to the real feel of the heli's I own.

Then it is down to practising coordinate turns, funnels, etc to get the muscle memory working.

Having said that, I would not have mind to have a V120D02s 6 axis model available. But Given Phoenix's background, I guess it will be a while before we see official Walkera models released, if ever.
Last edit: 29 Jan 2013 07:36 by RandMental.

More
29 Jan 2013 11:14 #5712 by Hexperience
I changed the fly bar type on the blade 130 to active flybarless and turned it to feel like the 6 axis...

More
29 Jan 2013 11:49 #5717 by Hexperience
Of course the other point to mention is that phoenix works with the devo and real flight has its own controller. So we wouldnt need to discuss a config for it. :)

More
30 Jan 2013 05:53 #5760 by gapi

stein@office-center.no wrote: I have made an order for Walkera Devo 10 and will upgrade it wit deviation software to fly blad helis and who knows which other birds will show up in the future...

If I buy the Phoenix - RC Simulator, will I need something additional to be able to use the Simulator SW?

Stein
Norway

I have a Devo 10 on Walkera Firmware, If you buy the Phoenix that comes with cable all you need is the Adapter to take the jack from stereo to Mono.

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds