Devo 10: beep on pot centering?

More
16 May 2014 16:53 #23287 by robca
Devo 10: beep on pot centering? was created by robca
I just received a shiny new/used Devo 10 (that joins my two Devo 7e). Very happy :)

I tested it using the standard Walkera firmware (which I profoundly dislike). The best part I discovered, is that when I play with the Aux 4 and Aux 5 pots, they beep when centered. I found that feature incredibly helpful (since you cannot look at the pot position when flying)

For example, I plan to use one of those analog potentiometers for a brushless gimbal pitch control: take off with the gimbal pointing down, change it to horizontal when flying. Horizontal is when the pot is in the middle (I know I could program the gimbal controller to use the end points, but this is about providing an example :)). Since I do not fly FPV, I have no way of knowing where the camera is. And, unless I look at the pot, I wouldn't know where the gimbal is either. But if I could start rotating the pot until it beeps, I'd know it's in the right position.

I could not find a way to replicate that functionality in Deviation (I have nightly on my Devo 7es, 4.01 release on the Devo 10). Did I miss something?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2014 17:44 #23635 by mattygerman
Replied by mattygerman on topic Devo 10: beep on pot centering?
Hi robca, you cannot use potentiometers for any task other than digital "on/off" switching.
Please see here: deviationtx.com/forum/6-general-discussi...tion-meter-on-devo8s
Quote: "All of the switches are connected to digital-only pins, and you can't read an analog signal from them."

Moreover, in Deviation there is no way to assign some signal to switch or stick positions.
I wished there was one, too...

More
26 May 2014 20:44 #23640 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Devo 10: beep on pot centering?
I think you misundersoot both threads...

More
26 May 2014 21:27 #23643 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic Devo 10: beep on pot centering?
No, it's probably needs to be added to the firmware, there is no output channel for beep.

And definitely in Deviation pots have analog output despite of what mattygerman says. He probably confused the inability to replace switch with pot and the analog nature of pins connected to already installed pots in Devo 10.

More
27 May 2014 02:09 #23648 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Devo 10: beep on pot centering?
I'll need to think about that. adding a beep on channel center should be doable. Filing a bitbucket ticket (and then being patient) is likely the best way to get this feature.

More
27 May 2014 06:11 #23662 by mattygerman

FDR wrote: I think you misundersoot both threads...

PhracturedBlue, please tell me: do potis result in an analog output or not?
On my Devo 10 I found that AUX 4 had a digital rather than analog output. Moving the poti beyond a certain threshold resulted in an immediate "flip" of curve value. Moreover, the output (curve) value could only be changed from -100% to 0% rather than the full range.
Moving the poti on AUX 5 didnĀ“t result in any change at all...

Many thanks for your help!

More
27 May 2014 06:23 #23663 by mazi
Replied by mazi on topic Devo 10: beep on pot centering?
To: mattygerman
I had the same problem, but I found reason in this forum. You have to calibrate AUX pots as well as sticks.

More
27 May 2014 06:32 #23664 by mattygerman
Wow, great! It works now!
Many thanks for your help!
You are a hero B)

More
04 Jun 2014 05:45 #23892 by robca
Replied by robca on topic Devo 10: beep on pot centering?

PhracturedBlue wrote: I'll need to think about that. adding a beep on channel center should be doable. Filing a bitbucket ticket (and then being patient) is likely the best way to get this feature.

Done: bitbucket.org/PhracturedBlue/deviation/i...eep-on-pot-centering

thanks for confirming it's possible and considering it

More
29 Dec 2016 23:35 - 29 Dec 2016 23:45 #57346 by robca
Replied by robca on topic Devo 10: beep on pot centering?
Checking back on this thread after a long time... issue 552 is still open in Mantis

Is there a way to add beep on pot centering? I just got a 12e, and that has 4 analog potentiometers... beep on centering would be really helpful (and the Deviation firmware implements it, even if the rest of the Deviation GUI is unusable :))
Last edit: 29 Dec 2016 23:45 by robca.

More
31 Dec 2016 10:38 #57395 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic Devo 10: beep on pot centering?
Good idea indeed, I like!

More
31 Dec 2016 11:28 #57397 by ajtank
Replied by ajtank on topic Devo 10: beep on pot centering?
There are pot's with center detent which can help determine the center. Not sure if there is a right type which can replace the stock one.

More
01 Jan 2017 17:17 #57429 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic Devo 10: beep on pot centering?
I am still looking for some good small ones, I used the taranis slider pots, although they have center detent, but the have deadband at both sides and very limited throw.

If you have a link, would be great.

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds