In search of the ultimate Devo7E

More
18 Jun 2015 03:03 #34252 by PhracturedBlue
In search of the ultimate Devo7E was created by PhracturedBlue
Thanks to Jon Barter, I ended up with a spare Devo7e, and I decided it was time to do an ultimate build to create the best possible 7e transmitter.

Here are my plans:
1) Replace the MCU with a STM32F103RCT6. This will give my 7e 256k FLASH and 48K RAM (smae as a devo10)
2) Add 2 3-way switches
3) Remove the CYRF module, and add my UniversalTx module.

I have now completed step (1) with great success. I need a custom build, but all the features of the Devo10 are available, and no need to muck around with protocol directories. I still suck at soldering QFP packages, but after 2 attempts and a lot of time with solder wick, I got the MCU replaced.

I realized too late that I don't have any 3-way switches I can use. I already scavenged the good ones for previous upgrades, so I can't do step 2 until I get some (and now that RadioShack is gone, I'll need to order some in).

As for the UniversalTx, I still only have one fully functional module (which I need for testing), but I'll try to build another one this week and see how it goes.

I'm looking forward to having a Devo7e the way it should have been designed originally :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2015 03:18 #34253 by grnd flyr
Replied by grnd flyr on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E
Subscribed to this thread, eagerly awaiting pics and progress! I actually did wonder if it was possible to add more ram... don't know enough but to follow what others have done so far.

Thought I read some where that there isn't enough room in the 7E case to fit a Universal module or is this something else you cooked up?

More
18 Jun 2015 03:50 #34254 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E
The UniversalTx isn't plug-and-play in the 7e but it will certainly fit. It is necesary to remove the existing module 1st though, which isn't hard, but you need a pretty good size soldering iron.

Does anyone know where to get spdt (on-off-on) flatted togle switches with dress nuts?

Daryoon posted some links on RCGroups, and I found:
standard-length flat switch:
www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/M2013E.../360-1806-ND/1006885
Dess nut:
www.digikey.com/product-search/en?vendor=0&keywords=776001201

But that is over $5 per switch, which is pretty pricey. I will probably go this route, but I can get bulk switches from china for <$1 each, but i think they are metric taps, and I can't find metric M6 dress nuts to go with them.

More
18 Jun 2015 04:30 #34256 by Zaphod
Replied by Zaphod on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E
www.hacksmods.com/tag/devo-7e/ shows a link to a module on Banggood -http://www.banggood.com/Walkera-WK-DEVO-S-MOD-Upgrade-Module-DEVO-8-12-To-DEVO-8S-12S-p-922596.html?p=5@1023051690201202T8

This is supposed to overcome the range limitation. If added to the multi module for your ultimate 7e would the range mod still take place?

Looking forward to seeing the results of this!

More
18 Jun 2015 04:54 #34257 by PhracturedBlue
The UniversalTx replaces all other modules, There is no need for the 8S module once I have it installed. The 8S module can be substituted for the normal 7e module if you don't want to do the range mod. You need to wire it in (not plug and play) but should work fine.

More
18 Jun 2015 05:00 #34259 by Zaphod
Replied by Zaphod on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E
Ok cool. I'll sit back and watch rather than start modding my 7e. (I'd offer help but my skill set is non-existent in this area!)

More
18 Jun 2015 05:33 #34260 by greenfly
Replied by greenfly on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E
If you are going to spend that much on switches from Digikey, why not use Walkera originals?

http://www.ehirobo.com/walkera-transmitter-replacement-switch-3-position-20mm.html

Besides you probably get the added benefit of having to wait for them to come from across the world. ;)

More
18 Jun 2015 05:35 #34261 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E

grnd flyr wrote: Thought I read some where that there isn't enough room in the 7E case to fit a Universal module or is this something else you cooked up?

You may be thinking of the multimodule. I don't believe that will fit in the 7E with the RF modules plugged in, but IIRC someone managed to do it by running cables from it to each of the RF modules.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
18 Jun 2015 06:00 #34262 by greenfly

More
18 Jun 2015 10:31 #34273 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E

PhracturedBlue wrote: 1) Replace the MCU with a STM32F103RCT6. This will give my 7e 256k FLASH and 48K RAM (smae as a devo10)

Is this the one? ebay US$2.10 shipped

PhracturedBlue wrote: Daryoon posted some links on RCGroups...

Daryoon seems to have become the 7E god, hadn't looked into the 7E in a while and stumbled across his thread yesterday; well over 230 pages worth! :ohmy:

More
18 Jun 2015 11:21 #34277 by racemaniac
Replied by racemaniac on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E
If we can get official builds for devo 7e modded with the stronger mcu, i would definitely upgrade mine too :). Sounds like an awesome mod to make :).

A mod that i'll soon add to my devo 7e that might also be a suggestion: i'm goingto add 2 regular pushbuttons that i'll wire in parallel to the original 2 way switches. I currently fly toy quads, and i like their flip mode, but controlling it with the current switches just sucks. So either on the bottom of the remote, or on the shoulders i'll add 2 push buttons so i can easily toggle those channels off and on for flip mode (or whatever else i can think of to use those buttons. Maybe for a quad with a camera to take a picture, stuff like that).

More
18 Jun 2015 12:25 #34283 by mwm
Since it's now got the same CPU as the 10, it should be able to handle more inputs. So will the "ultimate" devo7e build include another analog input? More than then 2x3 switch mod?

More
18 Jun 2015 12:25 - 18 Jun 2015 12:29 #34284 by PhracturedBlue

RoGuE_StreaK wrote:

PhracturedBlue wrote: 1) Replace the MCU with a STM32F103RCT6. This will give my 7e 256k FLASH and 48K RAM (smae as a devo10)

Is this the one? ebay US$2.10 shipped

That s the one.

racemaniac wrote: If we can get official builds for devo 7e modded with the stronger mcu, i would definitely upgrade mine too :). Sounds like an awesome mod to make :).

That is unlikely. The number of users willing to do this mod would be really small. If you are capable of upgrading the MCU, then you are capable of installing the build system and building the update :)

Note to anyone considering this: It isn't as easy as just replacing the MCU. You also need a way to install the bootloader. I use a STLink/V2 (~ $25). You can get chinese no-name SWD programmers for ~$10 from ebay though.

It isn't hard; I just documented the procedure here:
www.deviationtx.com/forum/6-general-disc...-7e-bootloader#34250
But it is an additional expense.
Last edit: 18 Jun 2015 12:29 by PhracturedBlue.

More
18 Jun 2015 12:30 #34285 by mwm

racemaniac wrote: I currently fly toy quads, and i like their flip mode, but controlling it with the current switches just sucks.

Personally, I detest flip mode, and much prefer the various Blade Qx's agility mode, which lets me do a lot more than simple flips. On the Nano Qx, I use the Ext button to toggle between modes. If it's just a feel issue, you might consider using one of those instead. Actually, you might consider wiring your extra button in parallel with one of those instead of a switch, as using a switch means your button type (momentary or toggle) will be whatever the button is. But if you use a Tx button, those can be programmed to be either momentary or toggle.

More
18 Jun 2015 13:46 #34292 by grnd flyr
Replied by grnd flyr on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E

mwm wrote:

grnd flyr wrote: Thought I read some where that there isn't enough room in the 7E case to fit a Universal module or is this something else you cooked up?

You may be thinking of the multimodule. I don't believe that will fit in the 7E with the RF modules plugged in, but IIRC someone managed to do it by running cables from it to each of the RF modules.

Think you're right mwm, I've already removed the stock module in preparation for the S-MOD module... cornfused with all these new "things". :) I'll wait & watch...

More
18 Jun 2015 14:20 - 18 Jun 2015 14:20 #34298 by racemaniac
Replied by racemaniac on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E

mwm wrote:

racemaniac wrote: I currently fly toy quads, and i like their flip mode, but controlling it with the current switches just sucks.

Personally, I detest flip mode, and much prefer the various Blade Qx's agility mode, which lets me do a lot more than simple flips. On the Nano Qx, I use the Ext button to toggle between modes. If it's just a feel issue, you might consider using one of those instead. Actually, you might consider wiring your extra button in parallel with one of those instead of a switch, as using a switch means your button type (momentary or toggle) will be whatever the button is. But if you use a Tx button, those can be programmed to be either momentary or toggle.

I'm still a newbie, so i'm sure there are far more impressive things than the toyquads loop modes. But i saw an x5c video where someone did some more advanced stuff with it by cutting throttle during the loops, making nice double loops and barrel rolls, and it's quite impressive :).
I'll have a look at binding it to the other buttons, still learning all the possibilities of deviation, and maybe that's indeed a better option :).
Last edit: 18 Jun 2015 14:20 by racemaniac.

More
18 Jun 2015 16:31 #34307 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E

PhracturedBlue wrote: That is unlikely. The number of users willing to do this mod would be really small. If you are capable of upgrading the MCU, then you are capable of installing the build system and building the update :)

Note to anyone considering this: It isn't as easy as just replacing the MCU. You also need a way to install the bootloader. I use a STLink/V2 (~ $25). You can get chinese no-name SWD programmers for ~$10 from ebay though.

I'm more than capable of the soldering, that's simple [for me, yes even 44pin TQFP and QFN's!] but I have yet to complete building from source. I've tried several times, I've got everything needed (as well as your new MinGW stuff) yet I've still not got threw the process... Admittedly I'm not devoting much of my time to learning, it's something I've currently been putting off cause I'm happy with the nightlies... I really hope that you'll (and the other contributors) will be willing to put our releases for this for people like me!!! As you may have saw I'm waiting on parts for add-on POT's for the 7E via PPM but if the new MCU would allow direct analog input's that's be amazing and I'd pretty much just stop work and devote that time to trying to help out on this.

Thanks man, really really excited about this!

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/

More
18 Jun 2015 16:40 #34309 by PhracturedBlue
The new MCU doesn't add the ability to have additional analog inputs. the pinout is identical.
I took a quick look and we should see whether PA0 or PA4 are actually connected. I think I've looked at this before, but it has been a long time. These 2 pins are not documented in www.deviationtx.com/articles/17-hardware...hardware-connections and they are analog capable. If they are floating, then they could be wired to analog inputs.

More
18 Jun 2015 18:36 - 18 Jun 2015 18:41 #34314 by RedSleds
Replied by RedSleds on topic In search of the ultimate Devo7E

racemaniac wrote:

mwm wrote:

I'm still a newbie, so i'm sure there are far more impressive things than the toyquads loop modes. But i saw an x5c video where someone did some more advanced stuff with it by cutting throttle during the loops, making nice double loops and barrel rolls, and it's quite impressive :).
I'll have a look at binding it to the other buttons, still learning all the possibilities of deviation, and maybe that's indeed a better option :).

The thing about having the momentary buttons up on the corner/shoulders of the Tx, is that you can activate them with your index finger without taking your thumbs off of the sticks (if you are a thumb flyer). The trouble with using the EXT, UP, DN, L, or R, buttons, is that you have to take your thumb off one of the sticks momentarily to use them.

I have been using the RUDD D/R two-way for the flip channel when the rates are 100% only, and the FMODE0, FMODE1, FMODE2 switch for three rate modes, both of which can be operated without letting go of the sticks. It just takes a few times using them to get used to it without looking down to see what you are doing. The down side though, is having to remember to flip the switch back after you are done flipping. That is why a momentary switch would be preferable, once you let go of it, you are out of flip mode and don't have to worry about accidentally flipping if you move the cyclic stick too close to the maximum throw.

DEVO 10 - Multi-module with nRF24L01 +PA +LNA, A7105 +PA, & CC2500 +PA +LNA transceivers.
Nightly Build: v4.0.1-548bbf5 (6/9/2015)
Last edit: 18 Jun 2015 18:41 by RedSleds.

More
18 Jun 2015 19:31 #34317 by PhracturedBlue
while you guys are now way off topic, you can nearly implement a push-button capabiliity with toggle switches. it is posisble to use a virtual channel to generate a short 'on change' event, which only triggers when a switch value change but does not care what the new switch postion is. It isn't a trivial setup, but certinly doable.

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds