replacement sticks for Devo 7E

More
27 Jun 2015 18:44 #34759 by glx
replacement sticks for Devo 7E was created by glx
Hi,
Now that I have upgraded the firmware of the Devo 7E
what kind of Rx can I use now? I have DSM 2 and DSMX rx from my old Spektrum? wil lthey work?

Also I don't like these plastic sticks, looking for adjustable metal ones but which model are compatible?

Cheers
G

Some drive, some fly, some go under water me.... I sail

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2015 20:20 #34764 by PhracturedBlue

More
27 Jun 2015 20:21 #34765 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic replacement sticks for Devo 7E
You do know that your 7E has lmited range of ~7mw, don`t you?

Yes, Spektrum Dsmx is good to go.

Spektrum FlightLog telemetry has been improved on the offical nightly builds.

Eg AR6210, AR600, AR610, AR8000

See my posting in the DSM telemery support thread. Used it for several 450er heli flights.

Not sure how far you can go on <10mw.

Sticks:
On Devo 10 (with M2) I am using the orange Spektrum DX8/DX18QQ after sales sticks. They are great. Had used the black after sales sticks on DX8.
They also fit on RealFlight elite InterLink controller.

More
28 Jun 2015 11:08 #34782 by glx
Replied by glx on topic replacement sticks for Devo 7E
Hi Thomas, humm thank you for bringing this up but you're worrying me there. I iIntend to use that Tx for my RC sailing boats - we typically race close to our control position but we could have mark at nearly up to 100m will the signal be powerful enough for this, accounting the fact that there will most likely be 20 other boats too?

if not is there a solution to increase its range?

I tried binding an Orange DSM2 Rx and it worked first time. Gonna do more binding test with other Rx like a Spekturm DSM2 and DSMx

Also I'm getting a message when I turn it on
Ch3 is -41%, safe value is = -100% need to troubleshoot to see what it is, but any idea? what it is and what it means?
Cheers

More
28 Jun 2015 12:43 #34784 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic replacement sticks for Devo 7E

glx wrote: Also I'm getting a message when I turn it on
Ch3 is -41%, safe value is = -100% need to troubleshoot to see what it is, but any idea? what it is and what it means?
Cheers

Somewhere, it got confused about what the throttle channel is on that model. Still trying to figure out how that happens. You need to edit the model.ini on your computer to find the '[safety]' section and change 'Auto' to 'Ch1'.

Docs at thhttp://deviationtx.com/manuals/html-devo10/ch_mainpage.html#safety-system, and I've just updated them so it should be more complete tomorrow.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
28 Jun 2015 13:33 #34785 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic replacement sticks for Devo 7E
There are 2 ways to increase the range of the devo7e:
1) you can implement the 'diode mod'. This requires some delicate soldering, and at least a few people have had problems with it not working. Search the forums for more info
2) You can purchase a replacement module and solder it into the devo7e. You want to search for a 'devo8s' modiule, or alternatively look here for 'CYRF6936' modules: bitbucket.org/PhracturedBlue/deviation/wiki/ModuleList/ . Installation instructions can be found here: bitbucket.org/PhracturedBlue/deviation/wiki/ModuleInstallation

I don't know what kind of range you can expect from a stock 7e. You would need to do a range test.

More
28 Jun 2015 13:56 #34786 by Thomas.Heiss
Dont worry. You only need to swim :-)

My collegue used a pistol Flysky TX (lcd computer programming) with cheap telemetry receivers (lipo voltage).
May make more sense than external Spektrum or Walkera telemetry moduls??
For that reason he did not use his Spektrum TX anymore.

According to the other threads some people were successful with Frsky CC250 HF modules. Frsky has cheaper receivers including telemetry.

You may want to search for a Devo 10. Size is like Spektrum DX8.

More
28 Jun 2015 17:41 #34794 by mwm
Using a Devo 10 with the output power set to 10mW, I get about 50m of range. That's using an old Orange Rx 610. I wouldn't be surprised if newer units get more range, as their are reports of the old ones having issues that reduce the range. On the other hand, that's using almost 50% more power than the Devo7e, and the 10 may have a higher gain antenna.

Thomas.Heiss wrote: According to the other threads some people were successful with Frsky CC2500 HF modules. Frsky has cheaper receivers including telemetry.

This is what I'm doing for my yachts, even though I'm using a Devo 10. The FrSky radios have built-in telemetry, which my DSM Rx's don't. And the DSM Rx's with built-in telemetry are documented in the manual as not reporting Rx voltage properly, which is a feature I'm really fond of. This solves the problem by using a different RF module, but you're adding it instead of replacing the built-in one. I suspect it's the easiest of the three options as well.

More
30 Jun 2015 13:27 #34888 by glx
I know in most RC boat class they have ruled out telemetry so no signal out from the boat. But what telemetry would you use in a boat cos we have no motors so no RPM, temperature. we don't fly so no altitude - the speed however would be one I'd be interested to get for training anyway. If I could get boat speed over the ground which is the only option using GPS. Not sure if this kind of telemetry is available.

As for module I was told the A7105 is a good one to get also. does the range come with the module? I think from what I can see that most module come with an antenna hence my question.

More
30 Jun 2015 13:52 #34890 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic replacement sticks for Devo 7E
With an A7105 module (assuming you get one with a PA which you definitely want to), you can use Flysky receivers. You should have no problem with range using that setup.

More
30 Jun 2015 16:14 - 30 Jun 2015 16:17 #34903 by glx
Thanks will look for one (what is PA?, how do I know the module I buy has it or should it be explicit in the description of the module. Was looking at these www.banggood.com/buy/A7105.html , more specifically this one I think is the right one www.banggood.com/A7105-Wireless-RF-2_4GH...Module-p-909404.html but don't know if has PA) and with detailed installation cos this is new territory for me. Done soldering before to put together battery packs and connectors, plugs and fixed some bits but still consider myself inexperienced in that area.

The module is that the element that sends codes and sends the signal to the binded receiver? The fact that I upgraded the firmware of my Devo 7E to 4.01, will that interfere or will make no difference?

Last edit: 30 Jun 2015 16:17 by glx.

More
30 Jun 2015 16:16 #34904 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic replacement sticks for Devo 7E
PA = power amp, it boosts the signal above what the stand-alone RF chip is capable of outputting.

Lots of people use the "D03" A7105 module, probably the best (longest range) one out there...
www.banggood.com/XL7105-D03-A7105-Modifi...Flysky-p-922603.html

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/

More
30 Jun 2015 16:27 - 30 Jun 2015 16:29 #34907 by glx
donno the difference between the 2 - which one will have the best range I guess

the one I listed is less powerful cos it says RF where as the one you recommend is more powerful and should give me better range?

Does the one you list includes a PA?

Last edit: 30 Jun 2015 16:29 by glx.

More
30 Jun 2015 16:34 #34909 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic replacement sticks for Devo 7E
Yes the "D03" module (the one Iinked) is a PA'd one, that's the one most of us buy (lots of people use a non-PA one they get out of a RTF toy transmitter and that works fine too but I think most people that buy a higher power one buy that one I posted above)

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/

More
30 Jun 2015 17:07 #34912 by glx
yes as you can see from my original post I am using my Tx for RC sailing for racing so I need a system I can trust and which will give me the range I need ie 70-80m but where there are also another 20 odd other sailors with their boat so busy airways if you know what I mean.

I use a mix of DSM2 and DSMX receivers today and would like to keep using them.
But recently I've started using futaba Rx also in S-FHSS

So I this will give me the range and the possibility to bind with these Rx systems then I'll be a very happy man!

More
30 Jun 2015 17:25 #34913 by Thomas.Heiss
There is already a Futaba thread.

No, you will not be able to use your Devo with Futaba receivers (about 4-5 protocols) to my understanding with neither of the 3 addon HF modules

More
30 Jun 2015 19:06 #34917 by mwm
Any of the A7105 modules should be good for a yacht. PB's test with the A7105 taken out of a WLToys RTF Tx got a 600 ft range.

I'm using FrSky D4R-II's in my yachts. Those give me Rx voltage and RSSI telemetry. I know putting a voltage display in the boat is popular, but that doesn't do much good when your battery runs down in the middle of the lake. RSSI is just a general safety feature. FrSky actually has two RSSI values, the second of which isn't really telemetry, as it's coming from the Tx radio gear. It requires telemetry hardware, as it's a report on the strength of the telemetry signal back to the Tx. I'd say someone would have to be really anal to disallow that one, and none of them would be any help in a race.

I'm working on adding "heel" telemetry, to give me the heel angle of the boat. If it actually turns out to be useful, I can see this one being a rule violation. On the other hand, it might be useful for practice. Gotta try it and see.

Finally, we'd love to have the Futaba protocols. There's good evidence we can do them with the CC2500 module (FrSky has a multtiprotocol Rx that does there protocols & some of the Futaba ones. However, we need someone to dismantle a Futaba Tx and capture the signals gong to the RF module while it's in operation, and nobody has been willing to do that yet.

• BirdBarber
  • Hummingbird Assassin
More
04 Jul 2015 09:28 #35087 by BirdBarber
Replied by BirdBarber on topic replacement sticks for Devo 7E
I've tried several sets of sticks on my 7E. The short HobbyKing ones are my favorite so far.
They come in Red, Blue or Sliver I think.

www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__3688..._USA_Warehouse_.html

More
06 Jul 2015 17:38 #35172 by glx
OK
thank you all for your advices
I have now ordered this module
www.banggood.com/XL7105-D03-A7105-Modifi...Flysky-p-922603.html

Do you have any links to installation process, pictures, hints and tips etc... ?

More
06 Jul 2015 18:47 #35176 by glx
same I ordered for my Devo 7E cheers - will see how they work

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds