Turnigy Rx compatibility with Devo 7E

More
02 Jul 2015 15:32 #34986 by bugman72
Turnigy Rx compatibility with Devo 7E was created by bugman72
I am in the process of gathering info and parts to build a 150-sized brushless quadcopter. Part of the process is figuring out what receiver to get. With a craft this small, space is at a premium. With that, I have found a receiver that I think would work, size-wise, but am not sure of its compatibility with my Devo 7E. My radio has an A7105 and a NRF24L01 installed. With the A7105, I know that I gain Turnigy compatibility. My question is whether all of Turnigy's products use the same protocol.

This is the receiver that I'm thinking about purchasing. Anyone have any experiences with it? Will the Devo bind to this Rx?

www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__6035...HDS_2A_Receiver.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jul 2015 16:33 #34994 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic Turnigy Rx compatibility with Devo 7E
AFHDS??

Why don't you get get a Spektrum AR6115e DSMx (half range parkflyer) receiver? It is not that heavy.
AR6210 (full-range) + SAT may be a little more heavy. but the chassis is not that big either.

More
02 Jul 2015 16:45 #34996 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Turnigy Rx compatibility with Devo 7E
No, all Turnigy products do not use the same protocol. From the looks of it, the AFHDS is the Flysky protocol, so it should bind with the A7105 module and that protocol.

Any reason you're not onsidering something like the OrangeRX 410X ( www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__6121..._4Ghz_Receiver_.html )? Smaller, lighter and less expensive than the Turnigy Rx, and DSMX is a more reliable protocol than AFHDS.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
02 Jul 2015 16:55 #34998 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Turnigy Rx compatibility with Devo 7E
If you're seriously concerned about weight / size there is no better option than running ONLY a spektrum sat receiver, most FC's now days can handle the satellite directly (no full receiver required).

Multiwii on a 32U4 proc or any of the multiwii based 32bit boards (naze32, CC3D, MEGA proc AVR's). Maybe not the best option for a large, long range model (where you want some tpye of diversity setup) but way way more than you need for a 100-200 (what, if it were a plane, would be classified as a "park flier") and they're only $8-10!

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/

More
02 Jul 2015 23:40 - 02 Jul 2015 23:40 #35013 by mwm
For the record, some of the micro Rx's like the OrangeRx 415X are smaller and possibly lighter than the OrangeRx sat receiver, and definitely smaller and lighter than the Spektrum sat's as shipped. However, the smaller number of channels (4-6), needing to use one cable per channel, and those having to be micro servo to servo cables, makes the satellite a better choice if you can deal with the park flyer range. And if you later convert to a long range system, you can switch to a DSMX Rx and plug the satellite into it to improve reception at long range.

Last edit: 02 Jul 2015 23:40 by mwm.

More
03 Jul 2015 00:22 - 03 Jul 2015 00:22 #35014 by Arakon
Replied by Arakon on topic Turnigy Rx compatibility with Devo 7E
Actually, the 415X and 615X both supply 6 channel PPM, I believe.
Last edit: 03 Jul 2015 00:22 by Arakon.

More
03 Jul 2015 02:43 #35018 by bugman72
Replied by bugman72 on topic Turnigy Rx compatibility with Devo 7E
Thank you for the replies. I was away and am just now able to get back in here. I ended up ordering an OrangeRx R410x. I think it will be small enough to do what I need. I am still a bit concerned about range, as I don't necessarily trust the short antenna. Maybe it doesn't make a difference.

I did take a look at the Storm S603 that I bought, but never used on the 250 I just sold. I THINK I could uncase it and heatshrink it and it would be pretty small. It has the much longer antenna that i can use with the 90 degree antenna mast mount that came with my CC3D Atom.

CPPM is one of the reasons why I went ahead and chose the R410x. With a brushless quad this small, losing 3 sets of wires could make a huge difference, both in space and in weight. Unfortunately, I don't foresee being able to do as mwm suggested in later upgrading to a DSMx/Sat combo. I intend to put FPV equipment on this quad and don't think I could be able to fit both a DSMx RX and a Sat Rx and still have room for the VTx, camera, and VBattery. And Arakon is correct, the R410x does 4-channel PWM or 6-channel CPPM.

And just in case anyone is curious as to the specs of my build :), here they are:

- Diatone Blade 150 Frame
- CC3D Atom Flight Controller
- DYS 1306-3100kv Outrunners
- DYS BL20A BLHeli 20A OPTO ESCs
- OrangeRx R410x Rx
- Nano Tech 1000mah 45C 3S Battery
- Gemfan 4045 Props cut down to 3" (Bullnosed)

More
03 Jul 2015 21:49 #35064 by mwm

Arakon wrote: Actually, the 415X and 615X both supply 6 channel PPM, I believe.

And a satellite will give you 12.

Note that the actual antenna on a 410X are the same length as the antenna on something like the AR610 : a 31mm quarter-wave antenna. The long antenna on the AR610 is mostly insulated wire that lets you position the antenna to minimize orientation issues and interference from other parts of the aircraft. Like putting it outside a metal airframe. The two antennas with diversity on the R410X will help with that, since they can't both point at the Tx.

• BirdBarber
  • Hummingbird Assassin
More
04 Jul 2015 07:40 #35084 by BirdBarber
Replied by BirdBarber on topic Turnigy Rx compatibility with Devo 7E

bugman72 wrote: ..... I am still a bit concerned about range, as I don't necessarily trust the short antenna. Maybe it doesn't make a difference.

Since you are going with DSMX, you will be using the built in CYRF6936 module to transmit. You may want to do the range increase mod.
www.hacksmods.com/2013/04/walkera-devo-7...-increase-range-mod/

More
04 Jul 2015 14:01 #35097 by bugman72
Thanks for the suggestion BirdBarber. That was actually done early on in the modding process. I initially attempted the bridge by using a solder pen but it didn't work. I ended up just removing the resistor and bridging the two pads with solder. Works perfect now.

Didn't realize that about the antenna on the AR610, MWM. That puts my mind at ease a bit. So, in theory I could use some of my 1.5mm heat shrink tube and "elongate" the antenna wires enough to work with the diversity mount that I have with the CC3D Atom.

Attachments:

More
04 Jul 2015 14:57 #35100 by mwm
Yes, you could mod an Rx to move the antenna around.

Note that the OrangeRx #10 Rx's have had issues with the antenna's not being a proper quarter-wave length. Their are also software issues with them.

I believe both of these things have been fixed in the #15 series Rx's. Both of which are reasons to prefer the 415X to the 410X, at least if you can live with the micro servo connectors on the 415X.

More
04 Jul 2015 22:05 #35115 by bugman72
I was unaware of any issues with the "10" series of Rx. I've not seen anything about. Unfortunately, they are scheduled to be delivered on Monday. What exactly are the software issues that you are referring to?

More
04 Jul 2015 23:22 #35119 by mwm
The 10 series is fairly old, as is my memory. What I recall is reports of issues binding with some Spektrum Tx's shortly after they came out. Someone at HK or Orange acknowledge there was an issue with this. At this late date, it could well have been with the previous generation of OrangeRx Rx's as well. But there's a reason the only OrangeRx #10 Rx still available is the 410X.

More
05 Jul 2015 01:50 #35122 by bugman72
Hopefully I'll be good then since I'm not using a Spektrum Rx. :-)

They are cheap enough that if it doesn't work quite as week add I think it should, I'll get the #15 receiver.

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds