LemonRX just doesn't work right with Devo or what?

More
27 Jul 2015 19:55 - 27 Jul 2015 21:26 #36184 by Cereal_Killer
fHi guy's. Over the last 6 months I've posted (here and at RCGroups) several times about issues I have with DSMX LemonRX's that I dont have with Orange's. Mostly the answer I get is that there is no answer.

Let me tell you about all the bad performance I've had [from Lemon's] with totally different setup's:
My first experience with DSMX / DSM2 was a DSMX 6Ch Lemon, at that point it was the first time I ever even needed to use the devo module in my 7E. Well I only got about 20m range even on 150mW output. (I made a thread about this here), after a long search I found the module wasn't getting high enough voltage and made a jumper wire to supply it with 5V directly, this got it going!
I did a full power (but walking on the ground) range test where I got out past 300 meters, all's well right?

WRONG!!!

Once in the air I quickly find out tho I seem to have strong signal at 300m and a little beyond before I get to 400m its GONE. I did some more testing and picked up an OrangeRx R615x swapped it out and this issue was non-existent, literally. I get out [again on the ground] to well over 1000m threw trees and over the creek and everythign and have never once had failsafe kick in in the air (and this was with a single RX, on all the Lemon system's I've added a Lemon Sat to try and help).

Let me stop the story right there to mention another thing, I have never been able to get a DSMX lemon to bind to my 7E in DSMX mode, I always have to revert back to DSM2, same is true with my 8ch PPM DSMX Lemon, now using Naze and CF I'm able to bind a lemon satellite directly to my 7E in DSMX without a full RX but I've never got a full Lemon to bind in DSMX mode.

Ok so back to the story, I now have a 8ch PPM DSMX Lemon on my 600 tri plus I have a Lemon dual diversity Sat (the brand new one, I bought it thinking it would help, should of just saved a bunch of money and bought another orange from the beginning), I can get perfect signal out to about 300m but again, by the time I'm at 400m it's totally gone and the tri is falling from the sky, this has happened 3 times now including once after adding the brand new sat (so the system has a total of 3 antennas). I'm done messing with it, I have an OrangeRX sat that'll be here thursday and I'm SURE it'll fix all these issues. I have two of the same tri's and the second one has a Orange in it already and it works (with just the single RX mounted INSIDE the body)

Please read the story so you can get my full experience but if it's TL:DR start here
I'm debating how to hook it up, the issue being I'm running lots of serial accessories so if I want to use the Sat hooked directly to the Naze I have to give up one of my serial things. Here's my question to you- can I trust hooking the orange sat up to the lemon full receiver to correct the lemon's range issues? Pretty much I would expect the Lemon to just decode and pass the data out of the orange on to the FC pretty much all the time, is that a reasonable way to expect it to work or do you think the lemon is still gonna be a lemon and somehow mess this up?
I'm even debating this cause the lemon RX is PPM so I dont have to give any serial devices up like I do if I want to run the sat directly to the Naze. I'm confident the orange sat on it's own will fix my range issues (just because of the fact that Oranges works and the lemons dont) but I'm not sure if I can be confident in the Orange sat if it's running threw the Lemon full rx.

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/
Last edit: 27 Jul 2015 21:26 by Cereal_Killer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2015 20:13 #36268 by Fer
The general rule is that the satelite does not extend the range but only minimizes the chances of losing signal due to "shading" of the main receiver. So the way is see it, you need to have a reliable receiver and then the satelite is a bonus to reliability. With a receiver that has known issues you are relying on the satellite to do the job.

Now for the receivers, both Orange and Lemon. I have used several from both brands. I think orange R615 is a dissaster (i think it's the one with the two small red antennas). Never worked well, i always had issues with it. I have found out that Orange receivers with one long antenna like the R620 or the R710 work the best. Paired with an orange R100 satelite reciever i get a very reliable system with zero failures over many many hours of flying sailplanes quite far away.

For the Lemon rxs now. I never got as good range test as with the orange ones, but i never had a failure too. I found that when bound as DSMX the very same receiver has half the range in the range tests. So i always bind them as DSM2. I think i haven't tryed the combination of Lemon Rx with Orange satelite, but Lemon RX with Lemon Satelite gives about the same results as without a satellite at all, so it seems to be in line with the theiry that satellite doesn't extend range.

Conclusion: If the receiver fails, and doesn't perform good, throw it away. I wouldn't trust a single satellite Orange or Lemon or anything else.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.028 seconds