Range issues with Devo 6S

More
07 Oct 2015 00:46 - 07 Oct 2015 00:51 #38494 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Range issues with Devo 6S

nfnity wrote: I want to donate the ORX R1020X to the deviation project. Who should I send it to? Thomas.Heiss, vlad_vy or Indigo? Before sending I'll test it against another ORX R820X to make sure it's not a particularly bad one.

My vote would be for PB, and then Indigo. Except both haven/t been active on deviation recently. Not Thomas, mostly because I'm afraid he'd just use it for target practice, but also because I don't recall seeing any code from him (sorry if I've missed or forgotten it).

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.
Last edit: 07 Oct 2015 00:51 by mwm.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2015 07:57 - 07 Oct 2015 08:04 #38507 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic Range issues with Devo 6S

nfnity wrote: I want to donate the ORX R1020X to the deviation project. Who should I send it to? Thomas.Heiss, vlad_vy or Indigo? Before sending I'll test it against another ORX R820X to make sure it's not a particularly bad one.

Maybe hexfet?

Suggestion: Send it to one of the core DeviationTX DSM protocol developers who looks thru the code and latest changes :-)

As far as I know not all (active) developers have proper Spektrum telemetry receivers or TM1100/TM1000.
Having receivers including the telemetry back channel to check for fades, framelosses and holds yourself really helps on testing local code.

Indigo has done lots of work with his further DSM protocol RX-TX test build implementation.
Wasn't he a bit away lately?

I have no idea if Orange telemetry hardware is really 1:1 the same as Spektrum TM1100/TM1000 or if the DeviationTX protocol needs maybe some Orange adoptions to newer Orange receivers including telemetry??
If yes it helps if the core protocol developers has that receiver stuff for testing which all people seem to ask about in all the Orange / Lemon threads :-)

It would NOT really help ME as I do no protocol change implementations or have the proper C (CYRF spec register) code background...

But yes, at a later time I may try to get a Orange telemetry receiver too. Why not.
If not just to kick into Mukenukem's ass just for testing his newer Orange receivers only with his DX9/DX18 or newer DSMx (only) Spektrum transmitters - but not with Devo's CYRF chips and different DeviationTX protocol stack :-) :-)

First I need even to find more time to get up all my genuine Spektrum tests across multiple DeviationTX builds and find some proper test concept. So I am kinda busy with this and real life here...
Somehow I am still grounded with my 200QX (bad ESC board), Armattan quad (no proper custom electronics besides 200QX), Blade 450 3D heli (finally found a RJXHobby blades source for repair) :( Crashed my StrykerQ recently (start throw problems) :( :(
I really need to get up my old glider (flys bad) / other planes for in-flight test- not only ground range tests :(

Thomas
Last edit: 07 Oct 2015 08:04 by Thomas.Heiss.

More
07 Oct 2015 08:32 - 07 Oct 2015 08:35 #38511 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic Range issues with Devo 6S
Supposedly my Spektrum AR610 (DSMX) has a data port, anyone know of an arduino-based logger? Did a search but didn't turn anything up. This is a genuine Spektrum, running a high amperage UBEC, in a non-CF-bodied Durafly Vampire, antenna locations checked over by highly experienced flyers, and I've had losses at well under 100m. Thankfully nothing that hasn't recovered in time yet.
Last edit: 07 Oct 2015 08:35 by RoGuE_StreaK.

More
07 Oct 2015 11:35 #38516 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic Range issues with Devo 6S
I do not completely understand.
What are you trying to achieve? To log telemetry fades/framelosses/holds at your plane as the Spektrum FlightLog box or TM1000 is quite expensive?

Or Spektrum / RX voltage telemetry logging like the newer Spektrum transmitters support it on SD card?
I was playing a bit with telemetry logging around - it may have some column bugs.

More
07 Oct 2015 14:49 - 07 Oct 2015 14:54 #38528 by nfnity
Replied by nfnity on topic Range issues with Devo 6S

mwm wrote:

My vote would be for PB, and then Indigo. Except both haven/t been active on deviation recently. Not Thomas, mostly because I'm afraid he'd just use it for target practice, but also because I don't recall seeing any code from him (sorry if I've missed or forgotten it).

So I reviewed my stash, I'll donate the following items:
OrangeRx R616XN (PPM only)
OrangeRX R1020X (PPM and PWM)
LemonRX DSMX Satellite
I'd say the the sat and R1020X would go to one dev as a package and the R616XN to another. Since the two ORX have been released at about the same time they should have the same Chip and protocol/behavior.
@Thomas.Heiss
Since I'm in Austria shipping for a letter to you should be reasonable. I could send you the stuff for testing/comparing to Spektrum gear. After you're done, I'd send it to the devs for them to keep.
Last edit: 07 Oct 2015 14:54 by nfnity.

More
07 Oct 2015 15:22 - 07 Oct 2015 15:23 #38531 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Range issues with Devo 6S
I've been running strictly DSMx (including DSM2) rx's with my 7E for about 6-8 months now and it is my opinion that Lemon's just simply do not work with Devo. I have numerous Lemon's, from the old non-diversity 6 ch's to the 8ch PPM, a 10ch stab and a couple of the new true diversity 6ch's (and a true diversity sat) and NOT ONE OF THEM WORKS!!! I only use one anymore, the diversity SAT mounted on a LoS only 150 micro quad that I dont fly beyond 50m.

I literally NEVER got a solid, reliable radio link to a Lemon. Oranges and real spektrum I've never had a single issue with but not Lemon's. Search my name and you will see atleast 3 threads, and numerous posts about my issues... IMO Lemon's just are not compatible with devo and I dont buy them anymore (tho I'd more than welcome a fix as I've got a drawer full of them that I cant use)!

I would be willing to send one or two of mine to one of the DEV's for testing too if needed. I'm in the US and will cover shipping to anyone else in the US. No need to return (even if you do get them working)

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/
Last edit: 07 Oct 2015 15:23 by Cereal_Killer.

More
07 Oct 2015 20:55 #38539 by RoGuE_StreaK

Thomas.Heiss wrote: What are you trying to achieve? To log telemetry fades/framelosses/holds at your plane as the Spektrum FlightLog box or TM1000 is quite expensive?

This. I don't see much point in sending it back live.

More
30 Oct 2015 19:40 - 30 Oct 2015 19:44 #39379 by djarchow
Replied by djarchow on topic Range issues with Devo 6S
So I thought I would provide an update. I have been running a Devo RX701 in my 250 and had no issues with loss of control but due to the size of our park, about the furthest I was flying was probably 6-700 ft. I decided to go out to a flat road in the middle of nowhere last night and do a full power range test with my 6S running the latest nightly build and a number of receivers.

My 6S was held with the antenna pointing straight up and about 4 feet off the ground. All telemetry was off. Receivers antennas were held about 4 feet off the ground away and to the side so my body wasn't between the rx and the tx, The rx antennas were pointing up like in normal flying mode, except for the one with satellite which had the antennas pointing sideways. I tried both DSM2 and DSMX for protocol on the PPM receivers with no real difference.

Devo rx701 on carbon fiber 250. Both antennas were above the frame by 3" Started getting some of flashing on the receiver at about 1600 feet. Bind was lost at 1900 ft/f580 meters

Lemon PPM 1 - no Satellite, powered off a battery, not mounted to a quad. Started getting lots of flashing on the receiver at about 500 ft. Bind was lost at about 900 ft./280m

Lemon PPM 2 - With Satellite mounted on the landing gear of a One Eye Extreme. Started getting lots of flashing on the receiver at about 550 ft. Bind was lost at about 950 ft./290m

Orange RX R920x - no Satellite, powered off a battery, not mounted to a quad. Started getting lots of flashing on the receiver at about 700ft/365m. Bind was lost at about 1200 ft./400m

I noticed that once I was to a distance where I was getting consistent flashing on the receivers, I could have my body between the Devo rx and the tx and might see a few more flashes but nothing dramatic. On all the PPM receivers, once flashing had started, if I put my body between the rx and tx I would just lose bind. This also aligns with my experience flying where I would be 4-500 feet out with the PPM receiver, get behind a tree or a rise in the ground the the quad would go into failsafe.

Since I am only flying small quads and even my FPV is only at a most probably 900 feet the devo receiver is working great. The PPM receivers are good for LOS, but for FPV, I crash enough as it is so I don't need extra help from lack of range in the rx.I wish I could use a PPM receiver for FPV as it would simplfy wiring in an already cramped quad; but would rather have a messier build than crashing every time I fly due to range issues.
Last edit: 30 Oct 2015 19:44 by djarchow.

More
30 Oct 2015 23:21 #39388 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Range issues with Devo 6S
Thanks for doing those tests and telling us about it.

You might consider trying this with one of the new OrangeRx x20 Rx's. They are DSM2/DSMX Rx's, and can do PPM output. Or you can get them with SBUS instead. I keep waiting to order one, but they seem to always be out of stock.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
31 Oct 2015 04:13 - 31 Oct 2015 04:14 #39395 by djarchow

mwm wrote: Thanks for doing those tests and telling us about it.

You might consider trying this with one of the new OrangeRx x20 Rx's. They are DSM2/DSMX Rx's, and can do PPM output. Or you can get them with SBUS instead. I keep waiting to order one, but they seem to always be out of stock.

Actually I did use the OrangeRX R920x PPM receiver, see my post above.

I guess the real question is are these acceptable ranges with a Devo6s?
Last edit: 31 Oct 2015 04:14 by djarchow.

More
01 Nov 2015 00:26 #39446 by Cereal_Killer
I would be very interested in seeing any differences in the orange R920x when it's in DSM2 vs DSMX modes.

A few weeks ago I bought an 820x S.BUS planning on using it strictly for testing, I didn't have anything that needed it. Then right as I'd gotten the S.BUS inverter bypassed and started playing with some of the sensor stuff I had to install it in a tri who's real spectrum radio gear I had to rip out to sell a long time friend who was in town with a broken radio (he has a TM1000 and everything else and didn't want the orange). Yes they're very hard to find right none but I'm guessing it'll be like the D4R-II's were 6 months ago...Sold out for months then finally restocked and became easy to get everywhere.

More
01 Nov 2015 01:07 #39447 by djarchow
Cereal_killer,

I didn't try both protocols with the OrangeRX. I tried DSM2 and DSMX on one of my Lemon PPM rx's but not on the Orange. With the Lemon, I had no real range difference between DSM2 and DSMX. I just went outside and did the 100uw test with the Orange on both protocols but the difference was a couple feet.

More
05 Nov 2015 17:57 - 07 Nov 2015 14:43 #39619 by Cereal_Killer
I did a range test with my one remaining LemonRX today, it's a 8Ch PPM that states it's DSMX but I haven't ever actually got a Lemon to work in DSMX mode so I dont even try anymore...Also needs mentioning is the antenna: I removed the whip (and the "reflector") off the RF board and replaced it with a long piece of shielded coax that I mounted on a mast (a zip-tie) it it could be above the body (I'll get a pic of this thing today). I was only able to test up to 100mW, I was out of room to try a full power test, our property borders I-71 to the north, I was in the South East corner and I already walked as far as I could to the NW corner.

Measurements in meters, taken by GPS plotter. One final note, this was done at my farm out in the middle of no where so I wouldn't expect the same results in a dirty RF environment.

100uW : 14.2m
300uW : 27m
1mW : 65.8m
3mW : 96.7m
10mW : 127.2m
30mW : 272.4m
100mW : 352.1m

I'm confident it'll do 1500 FEET no problem LOS but I still just do not trust it on a real model, especially not being diversity. I only use it on my 200 acro build (that you cant see 300 feet from you). Originally I got this RX for one of my big AP builds and I had two different signal loss events not very far away at all, first time on it's own, second time with a sat. At that point I set it aside till finally I decided to give it a go on this little strictly LoS build.

I would like to get one of those new diversity sat's and either just add it as a sat onto this system or, if possible I'd remove the RF board off this RX and put the new diversity one in it's place.

Here's the RX in question with it's coax antenna mod
File Attachment:

Last edit: 07 Nov 2015 14:43 by Cereal_Killer.

More
07 Nov 2015 07:40 #39684 by RoGuE_StreaK
Not sure how antenna gain ties in? Just thinkingthat the 6s antenna has no gain as such, so does that make it a 1dBi? Does using a 2dBi effectively double the range (in the peak axis)? If so, then I could see a correlation between people saying they get about 1km with DSM2/X, if they were usinga 3dBi antenna; 350m for 1dBi, ~1000m for 3dBi?
I'm probably completely wrong though, I don't think decibel gain results in a linear increase? Just raising it as a possible point of difference between the 6S and the 8S/10/12 etc. that use the same module.

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds