Models for use with standard (built-in) protocols

More
10 Nov 2015 17:05 #39841 by bmw111
I've pored over the model/protocol database, but have no idea which of those models (non-DSMX/DSM2) are highly rated by the community. My question is which models are worth buying to use with the built-in protocols? I have a LadyBird and really enjoy it, and looking for any other fun models I can fly before I install the NRF module. Anyone have a particular model they really enjoy?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2015 18:13 #39843 by blackmoon
I'm not much into multi-copters but if you are installing a NRF module I recently bought a MJX X800 and it is a very nice little bird.

The Hisky micro helicopters are also good fliers, specially the HCP80 and HCP100 V1 because they don't have accelerometers at least for my taste, the only bird I like with accels is the X800.

More
10 Nov 2015 19:35 #39848 by mwm
What do you mean by "built-in" If you mean only the protocols that are available with the CYRF module that comes with the transmitter, then your choices are:

• Spektrum DSM2/DSMX protocol: you've eliminated that for some reason.
  • Nine Eagles J6Pro protocol: I believe this is obsolete. It was only used by Nine Eagles on their collective pitch helicopters.
  • Walkero WK* protocols: also obsolete. Walkera has moved on to the Devo protocol.
  • Walkera Devo protocol: Their price is to high to compete with the toy brands and their quality to low to compete with the name hobby brands on quality, at least in the US.

Unless you're doing something specialized, the RTF/BNF models that use the DSMx protocols are the best you can fly with this transmitter. If you aren't willing to buy one of those, the only production things you'll find are the Walkera Devo ones and maybe some Nine Eagles CP helicopters. Going from a LadyBird to a CP helicopter is a big step, but not impossible. My first CP heli was a Walkera Mini CP, and I'm still quite happy with it.

If you want something other than a CP heli, I'd recommend checking a Walkera model site - helipal.com or wowhobbies.com - to see what they're selling, than asking the google to find reviews of them for you.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
10 Nov 2015 20:25 #39853 by bmw111
Just looking to see what models users here have had good luck with using the "built in" (yes, CYRF module) protocols. I will be adding modules, but want to play around with Deviation for a while, get used to all the settings/etc., and would like to have a few models on-hand to be able to test without 1) adding a module, 2) buying expensive HH/Blade products.

More
10 Nov 2015 21:52 #39868 by Horst0414
I have very much fun with the Blade Nano QX and the Blade 200 QX

More
10 Nov 2015 23:36 #39881 by mwm
Your problem is that one of the reasons they HH/Blade stuff is expensive - and the Walkera, Nine Eagles and HeliMax when compared to the cheap toys you can get with the NRF24L01 - is that those CYRF modules are expensive. The cheap CYRF modules start at over $10. The NRF24L01, A7105 and CC2500 start at about $3.

Now that you've identified the issue - price, not protocol - there are a couple of more options. Like the low end of the HH stuff, and the non-HH licensed stuff. I think that lets out all the Nine Eagles solutions.

1. Get the Blade Inductrix. It's $50 BNF form, which seems to be about the same as the LadyBird. It's the only thing they sell in that price range.
  2. Get a Micro-X from Hobby King . Not any cheaper than the inductrix, but it's a 125-size brushless miniquad, and a completely different class of fun than the inductrix or ladybird.
  3. If you're interested in fixed wing, the HK J3 Blue among others works. You'll need to add a receiver and battery, and possibly a charger.

More
11 Nov 2015 04:46 #39915 by bmw111
Now we're talking. I just ordered a Micro-X last night. I'll look into the Inductrix and HK J3. Thanks a lot.

More
11 Nov 2015 18:38 #39946 by Arakon

mwm wrote: Your problem is that one of the reasons they HH/Blade stuff is expensive - and the Walkera, Nine Eagles and HeliMax when compared to the cheap toys you can get with the NRF24L01 - is that those CYRF modules are expensive. The cheap CYRF modules start at over $10. The NRF24L01, A7105 and CC2500 start at about $3.

Now that you've identified the issue - price, not protocol - there are a couple of more options. Like the low end of the HH stuff, and the non-HH licensed stuff. I think that lets out all the Nine Eagles solutions.

1. Get the Blade Inductrix. It's $50 BNF form, which seems to be about the same as the LadyBird. It's the only thing they sell in that price range.
  2. Get a Micro-X from Hobby King . Not any cheaper than the inductrix, but it's a 125-size brushless miniquad, and a completely different class of fun than the inductrix or ladybird.
  3. If you're interested in fixed wing, the HK J3 Blue among others works. You'll need to add a receiver and battery, and possibly a charger.

The micro-x is brushed, not brushless.

More
11 Nov 2015 22:02 - 11 Nov 2015 22:02 #39953 by Horst0414
The Super-X is the 125 mm brushless quad. The Micro-X is a 100 mm brushed quad.

Both have DSM2 and are compatible to Deviation.
Last edit: 11 Nov 2015 22:02 by Horst0414.

More
12 Nov 2015 05:32 #39964 by mwm

Horst0414 wrote: The Super-X is the 125 mm brushless quad. The Micro-X is a 100 mm brushed quad.

Both have DSM2 and are compatible to Deviation.

Yup - I was thinking of the Super-X, but it's a lot more expensive. It uses the Micro-X frame that has 4 brushed ESCs, and then adds 4 brushless ESCs. Plus the brushed engines, of course.

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds