Im not sure if I need to do a clean install???

• Kansai-Ban for Life
  • Kansai-Ban for Life's Avatar Topic Author
More
21 Nov 2015 02:10 #40263 by Kansai-Ban for Life
Im not sure if I need to do a clean install??? was created by Kansai-Ban for Life
So I have a Devo 7E, I just got it about three days ago, and have done a few mods. I have obviously flashed the firmware go to Deviationtx for the 7e on the downloads link. Then downloaded the appropriate DFuse upgrader. I successfully changed the firmware, as I own not Walkera item, save for this transmitter. I tested the capabilities with a couple different spektrum birds, DSMX, and DSM2. They worked so I took my umx radian out in the field behind my house, and I almost lost it because the range was ridiculous, like 30 yards. I read, then successfully modded the devo module to obtain a kM (my friend stayed in one spot and had him move the rudder and elevator every 2 seconds, i stopped after walking straight for 1000 maters, and could have gone farther, my jogging app measured distance). So next was the NRF24L01+ I have no issues soldering, and triple checked wire palcement. At first Upon power up i kept getting the module missing warning. I figured out that I had to change some code in my TX while it is in USB Storage mode. The first head scratcher was the I didnt have Hardware.ini only TX.ini. So the module instalation wiki was confusing. I had only TX.ini, which did have what I should have found in the missing. So I enabled the PA-"" part of the code, saved disconnected then turned on, same thing was happening, all the while DSMX/2 worked. So yesterday it had some range issues, so i checked it out. I connected to the computer and was able to view all the files, however a seperate tutorial let me know that the .INI files had to be changed in Notepad2, this is because, from what i was told, the files done in defalt notepad is seen as jibberish by the walkera, also when i opened the file I had an entirely different experience. Everything was listed, not a single line, the ; where actually there and uncommenting worked. So before I finished, I wanted to put KN in my protocols so i could finally fly my V977 Ive had for 4 months. I downloaded the files under that thread, followed the same steps for a DFU file, and uploaded the one that came along with the KN ZIP file. So after the the Dfuse USB said file uploaded fine, I powered down, l then powered back on and there was nothing on the screen, light was on it made beeps, when i powered onholding ent, no USB symbol was there, The Program Update illustration is there. It gets recognized as a USB Device STM DFU, I can change between 3 STM DFU(WinUSB) one is certified and then there are 2 others both STM DEVICE IN DFU MODE Version 3.0.1 and 3.0.4 both certified. What have I done, and how cna I fix this, I am thinking the easiest and quickest would be to basically wipe clean then do a clean install?? I am lost and need some direction, thabks
SAM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Nov 2015 07:09 #40267 by mwm
I can't really tell what you did because you didn't tell us what you did. What version of the firmware did you install? What did you install when you said you installed the KN protocol? And for that matter, what did you do? There's no official support for installing a protocol by itself, and I suspect you fried the installed firmware by whatever you did then. Which wiki article did you follow for adding modules? There are lot of them on the web, many out of date. Until I saw the note about a separate tutorial telling you to use NotePad++, I thought you might mean the official wiki, but it tells you to use Notepad++. Come to think of it, it also tells you how to figure out whether you need to edit tx.ini or hardware.ini.

Rather than trying to piece together what you did, I'd start over from scratch. First, decide which version you want to install - either 4.0.1 or the nightly build. Since you want to use the KN protocol and it isn't in 4.0.1, probably the nightly.

Next, read the Installation section of the user manual. The links on the left for User Manual are for the nightly version. If you want to run 4.0.1, you'l l have to download the PDF and rad that. Follow those steps exactly. In particular, don't skip the steps about formatting the disk and copying files and directories to it. That's a common mistake.

Finally, go to the Links entry in the menu on the left, and go down about halfway to the Module Installation guide. Those are the official instructions, and unlike most blog entries and youtube videos, is still being actively maintained. It's an overview that has links to a page on how to wire up modules, another page on how to wire up the 7E, and one on how to enable the new modules once you have them installed. Some of the module installations are different for the 4.0.1 and nightly builds, so you should double check that to make sure you've got it right now.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

• Kansai-Ban for Life
  • Kansai-Ban for Life's Avatar Topic Author
More
21 Nov 2015 08:14 #40268 by Kansai-Ban for Life
Replied by Kansai-Ban for Life on topic Im not sure if I need to do a clean install???
Perfect thank you so much, you answered my question amazingly well for my ambiguity in explanation. Yes, It was the wiki that mentioned notepad++, I also did not do the proper ways to update protocols, as well as the 4.0.1 vs nightly. I figured i could copy the protocols over, anyways, what you said sounds spot on as to what I was looking for. I greatly appreciate your help. This forum truly has the best people, and the most helpful.
I will post when i have finished, and "fixed" the firmware
SAM

Time to create page: 0.044 seconds