Short antennas for A7105 and NRF24L01

More
25 Nov 2015 07:13 #40374 by vroomvroom
Short antennas for A7105 and NRF24L01 was created by vroomvroom
I fly mostly mini quads and helis in my living room so would the onboard short antennas or printed antennas for these modules be sufficient? I take them out in the yard once in a while but usually within 50m or so. I trying to avoid drilling holes in my transmitter. Better yet, any options to give me the best range with internal antennas? My A7105 has a really short 1 inch antenna soldered on it and my NRF24L01 has a printed antenna.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2015 14:17 #40377 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Short antennas for A7105 and NRF24L01
The most important thing affecting the range is whether or not you have a PA/LNA. The PCB antenna might change the range, but I'm not sure you can get one of those with a PA/LNA, so it may not matter. The long/short antenna doesn't change the range. The radiating part of the antenna in both cases is about 31mm (¼ wave) long. The rest of the wire doesn't radiate, and just gives you flexibility in positioning the antenna to avoid reflections, blockage, etc.

I have an NRF24L01 and an A7105 in my 6s, both with PCB antennas with no PA/LNA. No problems flying indoors, or in my small front yard out to maybe 50 feet.

You should be fine if you get the version with the PA/LNA and leave the antenna inside the case.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
25 Nov 2015 15:36 #40378 by vroomvroom
Replied by vroomvroom on topic Short antennas for A7105 and NRF24L01
Okay so modules with no PA/LNA then the printed onboard antenna should be okay since it's limited any ways with no PA. I also ordered another NRF24L01 with a PA/LNA and it has a uFL connector with a simple wire antenna. Most videos on Youtube suggest putting an RP-SMA to the uFL and then using an external antenna. Inside or out, it won't give significant increase in range would it?

More
25 Nov 2015 19:55 - 25 Nov 2015 22:59 #40381 by Arnold
Replied by Arnold on topic Short antennas for A7105 and NRF24L01
I understand PA is for "power amplifier". What is LNA meaning? "Low Noise ______"?

Too many hobbies & too many Devos!
Who knows where the time goes?
Last edit: 25 Nov 2015 22:59 by Arnold.

More
25 Nov 2015 23:20 #40385 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Short antennas for A7105 and NRF24L01
All ¼ wave dipoles will have the same range under the same conditions, and that's what the little wire antennas soldered directly to the board and the duck antennas bundled with most SMA kits are. One advantage of the external connector is that you can use a high-gain antenna, or something with a different radiation pattern than those.

The key phrase is "same conditions". Using the wire antenna in the Tx means the antenna and transmitter have a fixed orientation. The external antennas orientation can be changed. Piloting aircraft, I tend to point them along the flight line parallel to the ground, and then twist my body and the Tx to keep the line to the aircraft and the antenna perpendicular. Piloting surface vehicles, I point it straight up, since they aren't likely to be either overhead or underneath me. I do see an increase in the RSSI telemetry when the antenna is properly oriented. Nuts, I see a 10dB drop when I turn the craft so the Rx antenna is pointing at me! The other issue is that you don't have to worry about metal bits in the transmitter interfering with the signal, but you should be able to avoid that when you install the antenna.

LNA is "low noise amplifier". Typically used to amplify the received signal, which for su would be any telemetry signals, and some protocols have an acknowledgement packet.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
26 Nov 2015 02:03 #40390 by vroomvroom
thanks for the explaination. seems like I won't need to add an external if i'm just flying mini's within close range.

So the short little antenna wire that is soldered to the A7105 module. It looks like any 20awg wire. It's not the antenna type that has an outer shell or insulator... is that sufficient? It doesn't even look like it's grounded. Just the single wire connected, the ground pads on the module have no connection.

More
27 Nov 2015 15:15 #40440 by mike_j
Replied by mike_j on topic Short antennas for A7105 and NRF24L01
If the antenna is just a simple wire, with the correct length, then no ground is needed.

It's only when you want to move the antenna away from the board that you need to use a shielded cable where the shield is attached to the ground.

More
27 Nov 2015 19:02 #40444 by vroomvroom
Okay gotcha. Thanks.

More
30 Nov 2015 23:10 #40515 by Multirotor Go
Replied by Multirotor Go on topic Short antennas for A7105 and NRF24L01
I don't want to open a new thread for this question I hope I can get answer here I am trying to find info on how to change the little antenna on the A7105 module.

If it is needed I don know really I will follow this but I didn't see anything regarding the antenna www.hacksmods.com/2013/04/walkera-devo-7...x-flysky-hubsan-mod/ but is not from the A7105 module I think it from some modules taken from other transmitter it seem I have the A7105 from banggood

thanks

More
01 Dec 2015 05:22 #40525 by vroomvroom
Hi, you'd need one of these antennas. Cut off the metal uFL connector and then solder the center wire and shielding to the A7105 board. Or you buy one of those RP-SMA cables with uFL connector and then you can add an external antenna.

More
03 Dec 2015 01:26 #40568 by Gramps50
Replied by Gramps50 on topic Short antennas for A7105 and NRF24L01
Couldn't you just lenghten the antenna wire to 1/2 or 3/4 wave to add range?

Gramps

More
03 Dec 2015 20:44 #40578 by grnd flyr
Replied by grnd flyr on topic Short antennas for A7105 and NRF24L01
There is a very knowledgeable "antenna" guy over at RCgroups that I stumbled upon from google. Lots of really useful info in one little blog/thread here:

2.4 gHz magic number 31.25 mm
www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2371720

I'm using RG405 coax cable, you could use other, but I like the bend then hold to shape properties of this thin diameter stuff. Personally a bit stymied with completion (unplanned/unexpected medical issues), but hoping to get back to it soon. Anyway, I learned alot in that thread, hope it helps...

More
18 Dec 2015 02:15 #41011 by Multirotor Go
Replied by Multirotor Go on topic Short antennas for A7105 and NRF24L01
Thanks guys but I already did it after seen AndyRC video of devo 7e, I didn't use any length, just cut one of this www.banggood.com/10cm-PCI-UFL-IPX-to-RPS...-Cable-p-924933.html and soldered to the module.

I would like to get better and shorter antennas I have two modules with this antennas and they are to long , 19cm , it is super annoying and uncomfortable[
www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Dual-Band-2_4...ntennas-p-49578.html
Any suggestion ?

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds