Knowledge needed: modules and radios

More
26 Nov 2015 13:43 #40404 by eirikso
Knowledge needed: modules and radios was created by eirikso
I recently installed a module and the deviation firmware in my Devo 7e to be able to control my Eachine H8. It works very well and got me into the very interesting combination of hardware and software hacking of the Devo radios. Controlling the H8 with the Devo is way more fun than controlling it with the original radio.

But I have bought a couple of extra H8 to some of my coworkers. And I have two WLtoys V929 radios that I don't use. They are not even close to the Devo 7e but way better than the H8-radios.

And this is where I need some advice. I know that this is not directly Deviation-related. But this forum is the place where I've found the best knowledge of RC-radios of this type.

My question is as follows: can I remove the RF-module in the H8-radio and use it to replace the RF-module in the V929-radio. And then be able to control the H8 with the V929-radio?

I guess the question can be answered simply by informing me about which of my theories about small RC-radios that are correct (or maybe none of them):

Theory number 1
The radio mainly consist of two parts: the RF-module and the control module. The RF-module decide the frequency (for most remotes 2.4 GHz) in addition to the protocol and the logic that makes it bind to the Rx in the quadcopter. If this theory is correct it might be possible to simply change the RF-module to be able to control another type of quadcopter.

Theory number 2
The RF-module is simply taking care of the communication. The binding and the specific protocol is taken care of in the control module. Meaning that swapping the RF module will not be enough to control a different quad.

In the attached image you can see the RF-module in the V929 radio to the left and the smaller RF-module in the H8-radio to the right.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Nov 2015 18:04 #40408 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Knowledge needed: modules and radios
It almost certainly won't work.

Both of your theories about cheap RF modules are correct.

Some RF modules just do communications, and you communicate with them via i²C. The code on the µ-controller is specific to that RF module, and you need to update that code when you change the RF module. Otherwise it won't work. FWIW, these are the ones that can be made to work with deviation

Some RF modules have µ-controllers built in/on, and you communicate signals with them via PPM. This handle all the protocol stuff on/in the module, so might work, but I wouldn't bet on it. At the very least they'll have a chip enable line that needs to be held in the "on" state to get them to work. Binding behavior is module-specific, and may require some controller input to trigger as well. Could be anything from "try and connect at power on, and if we don't in X seconds start binding", or a pin that needs to be toggled, or who knows what. These don't work with deviation, so I haven't looked at them. They do work with OpenTx, and you might have better look asking on their forums.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
27 Nov 2015 10:21 #40432 by eirikso
Replied by eirikso on topic Knowledge needed: modules and radios
Thank you very much. This is exactly what I needed to know. So instead of trying to swap the modules just to see that it wouldn't work I did a much simpler hack. Making the original remote slightly better anyway. And recommending the Devo 7e and this web site to the people that want to take it further.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds