will this work to protect my CC2500 module?

More
01 Dec 2015 20:09 #40534 by mellowvision
will this work to protect my CC2500 module? was created by mellowvision
I found this SMA Plug that claims it absorbs up to 600mw of transmitter energy. It's designed to put on your quad's vtx while transporting. I have a modded Devo 6s with a CC2500 module in it and an A7105. Right now, I do not use the CC2500. It has a fragile cloverleaf antenna that I feel like i'm going to damage. Can I use the SMA plug instead to protect the module, and then put the clover leaf on when I need to fly that protocol? I just don't want to burn out the module before I ever get a chance to use it.

www.ebay.com/itm/FPV-Transmit.../262152091180

thanks.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Dec 2015 03:35 #40552 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic will this work to protect my CC2500 module?
The only concern would be if the load is frequency dependent. Usually these are resistive loads and work fine at all reasonable frequencies. But the ebay info doesn't say for sure.

More
02 Dec 2015 08:58 #40554 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic will this work to protect my CC2500 module?
Normally those dummy loads are basically a 50 Ohm resistor, (you can measure with your meter) they should work fine on any frequency below the specified freq.
So if they are good up to 5.8ghz VTX, than foir sure can be used on 2,4Ghz

Higher frequencies could be problem, but I think would not do any damage, but only the SWR might not be full 1:1...

More
04 Dec 2015 16:02 #40594 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic will this work to protect my CC2500 module?

mellowvision wrote: Can I use the SMA plug instead to protect the module, and then put the clover leaf on when I need to fly that protocol? .

Do you have a "clover leaf" as the receiver antenna on your models? If not you'll be doing more harm than good trying to use a CP antenna to transmit and a standard linear to receive. That doesnt work and you'll actually have less range than if you use two matching linears

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/

More
04 Dec 2015 16:29 #40595 by mellowvision
Replied by mellowvision on topic will this work to protect my CC2500 module?
I don't currently have any models that use the CC2500 transmitter module. I chose that one for the future, because I'd like to use it for nicer models. I do plan on putting a clover leaf on those models, in the future.

my goal right now is to protect that module in my radio until I need it, without having to have a clover leaf on the radio all the time. the clover leaf is just going to get damaged, and makes packing the radio a pain in the ass. If I can leave a dummy load or a fold down antenna on it until I need to actually use the module, I figure I'll be saving myself some money on a new cloverleaf down the line

Time to create page: 0.037 seconds