LemonRX stepping up their game for 2016

More
27 Dec 2015 16:33 #41174 by Cereal_Killer
LemonRX stepping up their game for 2016 was created by Cereal_Killer
This is just a teaser / discussion thread for the new LemonRX stuff coming out in a few days...

The piece that has my attention most is the 7Ch PPM DIVERSITY Rx with telemetry , including true RSSI (both output to the FC and telemetry back to Devo) as well as a cheap ($12) current sensor that supposedly calculates mAh consumed (instead of JUST live current draw). If this is true (that it can calculate mAh consumed on board and send it back) that is pretty amazing for under half the price of the Orange current sensor that ONLY displays live draw. Also note, Orange (and real spektrum) only display "flight log" data with antenna fades / losses which is NOT RSSI, this is advertised as a real analog RSSI output (as well as the RSSI value returned with the other telemetry data OTA)

Anyway like I said this is just a discussion thread to see if anyone else is interested. I have one of the 7Ch RX's pre-ordered. I hope they perform [range wise] as well as the OrangeRX's. In my early days of DSMx receivers I had horrible range, as in ~50m or less with Lemon but I found a bad diode inside my Devo in the main 5v supply to the CRF module) and believe I have that fixed, I also built another 7E for a buddy who now regularly uses all Lemon (old, non-diversity ones) without issue so I really have high hopes. Especially since apparently HK isnt restocking any of the OrangeRx Rx20X telemetry RX's anymore.

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Dec 2015 19:18 #41176 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic LemonRX stepping up their game for 2016
For me, this doesn't compete with the OrangeRx x20's: 7 vs. 12 channels, and no serial interface (which may be why it's only 7 channels). The FrSky D4R-II - 8 channels (via PPM) is smaller, lighter, less expensive and more capable - unless you really want the extended telemetry info.

HK has pre-announced the Rx20X V2 , which may be why they aren't stocking the current ones. Seems silly to me, as it's been months, and they probably could have sold out more than one run of them.

The telemetry hub looks interesting, but an OrangeRx Rx + current sensor costs less than this + current sensor. So unless you really want the consumption calculation in the Rx instead of the Tx, not that much of a win.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
27 Dec 2015 22:20 - 27 Dec 2015 22:28 #41182 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic LemonRX stepping up their game for 2016
So a "fuel gauge" is possible in devo without a RTC? Last time I asked (a few months ago now) you told me it would be way more work than its worth...

But honestly the true analog RSSI output is the number one thing this has going over orange. I'll look up the Rx20X V2 now (to see it if does real RSSI out on the rx side)

From their announcement:
 Additionally, ALL receivers, from R620x to R1220x V2 offer 12 channels on S.Bus and 9 channels on cPPM.

Sounds like a downgrade to me. V1 has 12ch via CPPM or 16 channels via S.BUS on all receivers. Also no mention of real RSSI and I'm pretty sure that'd be one of their big touting points if it had it.

Last edit: 27 Dec 2015 22:28 by Cereal_Killer.

More
27 Dec 2015 23:08 #41185 by mwm
Possible is not the same thing as easy. IIUC, all you really need is a running total of the current value, along with a place to store it. The latter is the problem. We're already taking values out of the telemetry set for the 7e.

Without knowing what Lemon is doing, it may not be any easier to add support for a new sensor. Maybe they are using a parameter that we already implement with a different meaning. Maybe it needs a new value, which would make the implementation of the two pretty much identical.

More
27 Dec 2015 23:59 #41186 by aMax
Replied by aMax on topic LemonRX stepping up their game for 2016

mwm wrote: HK has pre-announced the Rx20X V2 , which may be why they aren't stocking the current ones. Seems silly to me, as it's been months, and they probably could have sold out more than one run of them.

...." Extremely long range: Control - 2 Km or more (LOS), Telemetry - 400m or more (LOS) .."
So quite useless... without pa.

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02

More
28 Dec 2015 08:17 #41193 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic LemonRX stepping up their game for 2016
I think that the flysky receivers with AFHDS 2a protocol as used for the i10 are good contenders, extremely cheap and small/light, cppm, bus system,telemetry,diversity, small size,14 channels and have reported very good range.

Tech details about the build of protocol here: basejunction.wordpress.com/category/english/

More
29 Dec 2015 14:55 #41250 by Cereal_Killer

aMax wrote: ...." Extremely long range: Control - 2 Km or more (LOS), Telemetry - 400m or more (LOS) .."

Do the CRF transceiver modules in our devos have an LNA?

More
29 Dec 2015 15:52 #41251 by aMax
Replied by aMax on topic LemonRX stepping up their game for 2016

Cereal_Killer wrote:

aMax wrote: ...." Extremely long range: Control - 2 Km or more (LOS), Telemetry - 400m or more (LOS) .."

Do the CRF transceiver modules in our devos have an LNA?

... but the RF front-end module >>>>RDAT212

- PA +LNA+ Antenna Switch
- 18dBm linear power@-30dBc IM3
- Integrate power detector
- 2.6dB noise figure and 8dBm IIP3 LNA
- PA and LNA bypass function

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02

More
11 Jan 2016 04:28 #41613 by Cereal_Killer
Well I put to much faith in them it looks like, just got an email the soonest they'll possible ship is FEB 20 (but isn't Feb 20 right in the middle of the Chinese new year holoday?)

Haven't canceled my order but if orange comes out with their V2 receivers before then I definitely will.

More
12 Jan 2016 00:55 #41650 by Jasenk
Replied by Jasenk on topic LemonRX stepping up their game for 2016
Because of this post I looked into the Lemon RX products. I needed an all-in-one Receiver plus Flight stabilizer. So I bought the Lemon Rx DSMX Compatible 7-Channel Stabilizer (Top Pin) + Lemon DSMX Compatible Satellite (DSM2 backward compatible). It says 7 channel but it actually has 8 Channels. There is only 6 external usable output channels though. This was fine for me.

CH1=Throttle
CH2=Aileron(s) or Right Aileron
CH3=elevator
CH4=Rudder
CH5=Dedicated to Gyro's on / off internally
CH6=AUX1 or Left Aileron based on stabilizer mix mode
CH7=AUX2 (this could replace Gear, but could be anything like elevon LT or RT)
CH8=Remote Gyro Gain internally - I like this because you can set your pots on the RX to center gain and then fine tune the gain with the TX

I have a Sport EDF Jet Freewing Stinger 64 set up with Flaperons, Gryo ON/OFF, and a Pot to control the Gyro Gain
I needed the compact all-in-one to make it easy to install in the limited space of this plane. I have Hobby Eagle A3 Super and A3 Super II in other airplanes and I liked the set up interface on a laptop or field card. The Lemon RX flight stabilizer is more manual settings with DIP switches and Pots. Not hard to do though. I think I will keep Lemon RX as a viable option for future models.

If anyone is interested in the Model.INI let me know and I can post it.

-Jasen

More
12 Jan 2016 03:50 #41653 by mwm
Hi Jasenk,

Have you flown any of the E-Flite AS3X aircraft? If so, I'd be interested in knowing the LemonRx stabilization compares to AS3X.

More
12 Jan 2016 12:16 - 12 Jan 2016 12:17 #41664 by Jasenk
Replied by Jasenk on topic LemonRX stepping up their game for 2016
I have flown a bunch of UMX planes with AS3X.

UMX P-40 - Underpowered, put in new motor, prop and larger battery and now can loop after loop no problem
UMX Beast 3D - Great for this beginner 3D pilot
UMX Corsair - Very nice and stable
UMX B-17 - Needs full throttle outdoors I felt
Blade CPS - More stable than my Walkera V120D02S
UMX Habu 180 DF with Safe - This one had me hooked, flies fast and slow
Yet to fly the UMX P-51 Mustang, but it's ready to go.

I'm thinking the Freewing Stinger will fly similar to my UMX Habu 180 DF. The Habu, however has 3 flight modes.

Beginner Mode-Pitch and roll angle limits combine with electronic self-leveling
Intermediate Mode-Natural feeling AS3X® system stability with expanded pitch and roll angle limits for a larger flight envelope that protects you from entering extreme flight conditions.
Experienced Mode-Pitch and roll limits are removed while AS3X technology delivers smooth flight and a rock-solid feel.

I think the Experienced mode will be most like the Lemon RX Stabilizer. I usually fly in the Experienced mode so It will be interesting to see how the Stinger flies. I do expect the larger stinger to be better based on pure size anyway. It's almost twice size of the UMX Habu.

I have not flown any midsize planes with AS3X yet though. I'll try to remember to update this when I get a chance to fly the Stinger.

-Jasen
Last edit: 12 Jan 2016 12:17 by Jasenk.

More
30 Jan 2016 00:10 - 30 Jan 2016 14:58 #42388 by Cereal_Killer
Just placed an order for two orange R620X v2's from HK international WH for <$50. If anyone wants one wait till the "best offer" of 18.xx comes up.

I'll be canceling the lemon order if I don't hear back from them by monday. I've heard the RSSI doesn't work with devo... yet![email I sent early this week] by monday.

I've heard the RSSI doesn't work with devo... yet!

Last edit: 30 Jan 2016 14:58 by Cereal_Killer.

More
30 Jan 2016 06:11 #42396 by mwm
I saw the report about RSSI not working as well, but can't find it now. I wanted to see if they were running 4.0.1 or the nightly, as there had been quite a lot of work on DSM telemetry in the interim. And if it's the nightly, suggest they try Indigo's Devo/DSMx telemetry test build, as that includes even more work. If you could forward that or tell me where it was posted so I can suggest it, b I'd appreciate it.

More
30 Jan 2016 14:57 - 30 Jan 2016 15:03 #42420 by Cereal_Killer
It was in the dsm telemetry thread in the protocol sub-forum, last post of page 20 and first post of page 21.

So it turns out the orange v2 doesn't do rssi, it was mentioned in their ammouncment but not on the now active product page. I hope I hear back from lemon, I want to trust them so I can see real rssi...

Last edit: 30 Jan 2016 15:03 by Cereal_Killer.

More
31 Jan 2016 03:26 #42448 by Doug40
Replied by Doug40 on topic LemonRX stepping up their game for 2016

Cereal_Killer wrote:
From their announcement (about Orange V2 Rcvrs):
 Additionally, ALL receivers, from R620x to R1220x V2 offer 12 channels on S.Bus and 9 channels on cPPM.
Sounds like a downgrade to me. V1 has 12ch via CPPM or 16 channels via S.BUS on all receivers. Also no mention of real RSSI and I'm pretty sure that'd be one of their big touting points if it had it.

I have an Orange R620X that I bound using telemetry and use on CPPM, and it only shows 9 active channels on CleanFlight rather than the advertised 12. I bought the 620X on eBay last September at a hefty premium because HK was perpetually out of stock. Until I saw the above listing of the V2s, I thought it might be just another of the mysteries of RC that I'll never figure out, along with its mangled channel order and inversions. Now I wonder if they didn't originally start out at 9 channels and then later bump it up to 12. Maybe reality set in with the V2 and they backed off to early V1s chnl count.

More
31 Jan 2016 04:03 #42449 by Cereal_Killer
I suspect so. I too have a v1 R920X CPPM and it only has 9 channels in the PPM stream, tried with cleanflight and APM both. Now the V1 R820X S.BUS I have it has 16 channels that show up over S.BUS to cleanflight but only 14 (up to AUX10) are controllable.

More
31 Jan 2016 04:58 #42451 by mwm
What are you using as a transmitter for 16 channels to the OrangeRx? Unless that can send 16 channels, having them in the S.BUS output doesn't do very much good.

The DSM frame is either 22 or 11 (newer hardware) ms. With a 100% channel taking ~2ms, more than 9 channels in a CPPM output is asking to lose the frame sync, which you do not want to do. 9 channels may even be one to many.

More
12 Feb 2016 21:13 - 24 Feb 2016 20:31 #43057 by Cereal_Killer
Received the first of my two v2 orange's today (ordered a few days apart but the second one missed the lunar new year cutoff before getting out of the country)
Other than the number of channels available in the sbus output there is literally zero end-user noticable differences, maybe the fw is different but who's to say...
redacted, see post directly below! So far there is one noticeable change!

Last edit: 24 Feb 2016 20:31 by Cereal_Killer.

More
24 Feb 2016 20:30 #43584 by Cereal_Killer
I've now received my second V2 OrangeRx (first was a R720X S.BUS, second is an R820X S.BUS). I have found one welcome FW upgrade: The Rx voltage is accurate now, it actually displays the real voltage input to the receiver! I've confirmed it works from 3 to 8.4v, specs call for up to 9v in.

This is great news for heli guys and anyone who runs high voltage motors off a separate flight pack from their electronics / receiver packs!

In related news, I've ordered a couple spare APM current sensors, I'm hoping they'll work directly with the Orange's ($8 shipped vs $25 shipped)

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds